• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

From seed to ashtray

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
A number of years ago I met one of the owners of Perdomo and we discussed the hundreds and hundred of times that cigar leaves are touched between the time the seed is planted until it becomes a cigar. It was pretty amazing and it demonstrated to me, why cigars can cost as much as they do.

I have heard that Cuban tobacco does not go through the same aging process that non-Cuban tobacco does but, having heard about the countless times tobacco is handled in the aging process, I would like to know more about the details of how a Cuban cigar comes to fruition.

Anybody care to share?

A number of years ago I met one of the owners of Perdomo and we discussed the hundreds and hundred of times that cigar leaves are touched between the time the seed is planted until it becomes a cigar. It was pretty amazing and it demonstrated to me, why cigars can cost as much as they do.

I have heard that Cuban tobacco does not go through the same aging process that non-Cuban tobacco does but, having heard about the countless times tobacco is handled in the aging process, I would like to know more about the details of how a Cuban cigar comes to fruition.

Anybody care to share?
Very interesting query. I'd like to know more about the life-cycle of a NC tobacco leaf, as well. I've been listening to some podcasts recently, and finding that I know less about the production side than I thought.

Very interesting query. I'd like to know more about the life-cycle of a NC tobacco leaf, as well. I've been listening to some podcasts recently, and finding that I know less about the production side than I thought.
I was told that hands touch the tobacco over 1000 times between priming, trimming, drying, curing, stacking, reversing the stack, rolling, etc.

Pretty fascinating.

I was told that hands touch the tobacco over 1000 times between priming, trimming, drying, curing, stacking, reversing the stack, rolling, etc.

Pretty fascinating.
Wow, that's pretty incredible. With that much hands-on, I wonder how much of the harvest is damaged from handling. Just weird curiosity.

@CigSid Bill, can you shed any light on what the seed-to-cigar process might be for Cubans?

There is a excellent example of this on YouTube, runs about 45 minutes and you can see this process. Very extensive work, all hands on stuff.

The link Nate posted is pretty good. Most of the guys talking are in Spanish, but it's narrated in English and has footage of a lot of the processes involved. I do wish the captioning was in English.

Hand Rolled: A film about cigars is a pretty good watch. I believe it was on Amazon Prime.