• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Anejo's

golfgar

Bueller.... Bueller...... Anyone....... Anyone?
Yesterday I was in the JR cigar store in Clayton MO.  I stop in there on occasion when there is a parking spot close to the store.  As I was shopping with the manager (a good guy who I 've known for a long time) in tow I noticed they had quite a few boxes of AF Anejo's still on the shelves.  He said they kept getting boxes and received a lot of boxes of the Anejo's this year.  It is March 4 and their supply is still quite good.  So, I have a question, what is different from prior years when I would only see a few boxes in each store and they would be gone pronto?  There were limits on how many you could buy in a day blah blah blah.  Are they not as good?  Not as popular?  Production is probably way up but I don't know about that.  Are there more popular boutique brands that have taken up that portion of the market?  I bought a box in December when they only had a couple of boxes. 

So help me "get it" about the anejo's, cause I must be stuck in the 2000's.

I'd got with this: 
Are there more popular boutique brands that have taken up that portion of the market?

That and the economy. 

Yea, I think Gary nailed it. I'd add that with the economy as it is, I've wondered if some manufacturers are releasing more "rare" cigars to try to keep cash flow going.
Hell, I just got a spam mail from a BIG internet retailer trying to sell me Opus X for 40 a pop while my local guy is getting more stock than ever and selling them for not much over actual MSRP. So, some sellers are still gouging on stuff whose rarity is seriously in question due to this economy. I replied to their spam with a very pleasant GFYS.  ;)

Agree with MadMonk and grateful1 on this one.  Tons of great smokes to choose from, Anejo's are 'old school' and maybe not as flashy as the short run, limited edition, buy it now before it's gone smoke of the month.

But I'll tell you this.....Anejo's age better than almost any other NC smoke I've found.  Put a box of 48's down for two, maybe three years....holy moly, those are good smokes.  If you can score some at retail, they're very worthy sticks.  48's and 49's are my favorites, YMMV.....

I know a similar thing happens at the Outlaw.   What I was told is that a lot of retailers told their Fuente reps that they didn't want their Opus/Anejo shipments for whatever reason (cost, shelf space), so in turn the stores that did want them were getting as many boxes as they wanted.     

There is probably some truth to the fact that they aren't as flashy and coveted anymore.   Also, I've noticed that some places that still have them haven't brought the prices back down to a reasonable level even with the surplus.

BBS, I thought you were in the 46 camp, my memory must be failing me.

I think some of it is probably the rebirth of quality ISOMs over the past few years. CCs seem to make up a larger percentage of purchases and conversation around here than they once did.

The days of HTF cigars, are over.  There are so many quality cigars out there, that the old HTF cigars are being replaced with cheaper/quality ones.

I found, in a smaller B&M that used to not get any HTF Fuentes, Anejos/WOAM/858SG.  That was unheard of, 5+ years ago.  You had to be on a list or call around Fathers Day and sometime in the Fall, to find those.

bfreebern said:
The days of HTF cigars, are over.  There are so many quality cigars out there, that the old HTF cigars are being replaced with cheaper/quality ones.

I found, in a smaller B&M that used to not get any HTF Fuentes, Anejos/WOAM/858SG.  That was unheard of, 5+ years ago.  You had to be on a list or call around Fathers Day and sometime in the Fall, to find those.

The days of HTF cigars being released 2x/year are over. Now HTF cigars are released once ever, only at special shop(s), and once they're gone, you will never find one ever again on the primary market ever. 

Bsneed51 said:

There is probably some truth to the fact that they aren't as flashy and coveted anymore.   Also, I've noticed that some places that still have them haven't brought the prices back down to a reasonable level even with the surplus.

Just wanted to add that the prices were at msrp at the shop, and if you get a box there is a discount.

To add an anecdotal data point, my local Spec's Liquor store has had a partial box of Anejo 46's and 55's since Christmas.   I saw a box of 888's sit on the shelf at Serious Cigars in Houston for almost two weeks (limit 2 per day).  

Hi you guys are all lucky. My shop in the Hudson Valley  N Y  only received  one box , I don't think they bitched enough. i managed to get a few  .

I have to say, as someone who hadn't walked into a B&M for about seven or eight years until last month, it was a new world. The whole range of Padron Anniversarios, Anejo's, Don Carlos, Hemi BTL's and freakin' Hemi MADUROS....no purchase limits, staff not acting like Vanna White revealing them all with a flourish....they must have thought I just got out of the joint. I bought several on principle alone. It felt like freedom.

The big on line guys have plenty.  Famous, Holt's, Atlantic....if you're on the hunt, I'd give those guys a call.  77's are probably scarce, but the rest of them....probably pretty easy to find.

How are the anejos nicotine wise? I have two 46's in my humidor but I am pretty sensitive to nicotine. I had an undercrown on 4th of july that put me out of commision for literally three hours.

When you feel yourself getting woozy, eat some sugar.  Don't smoke on an empty stomach.  And practice.... ;)

BlindedByScience said:
When you feel yourself getting woozy, eat some sugar.  Don't smoke on an empty stomach.  And practice.... ;)
I made the empty stomach mistake, havent gotten sick from a cigar in over year but I'm sure you all know how it can ruin a great event.

pulse746 said:
How are the anejos nicotine wise? I have two 46's in my humidor but I am pretty sensitive to nicotine. I had an undercrown on 4th of july that put me out of commision for literally three hours.

Those cigars are for the big boys. I can't smoke that crap anymore.  :D

Light this! said:

Those cigars are for the big boys. I can't smoke that crap anymore.  :D

Interestingly, Anejo's with some age on them are one of the very few NC's I still enjoy...... :cool:

I had a shark for breakfast once with just a little coffee. Closest any cigar has come to making me toss my cookies. Still nubbed it though. Delicious.

Edit: a pox on the house of autocomplete.

Ouch, coffee and a cigar for breakfast will separate the men from the pretenders, to be sure.  

I can get through a small smoke before breakfast, but a Shark and coffee, first thing?  I'm not ashamed to say I'm not nearly that burley....... :laugh: