• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Fuente Opus X

1.Remember your Economics class? Supply and demand controls the market.

2.There are 3 major words in MSRP. SRP = Suggested Retail Price. Re-read the last 3 words......Suggested Retail Price.

3.Location, location, location.

$25.00 per stick is my limit. In fact, the most I've ever paid for a stick was $21. In my opinion, I got hosed. It was an AVO 80th. I have found another retailer and I pay $16.50 per stick. Of course, I paid the $21 at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, California. See number 3. On the other end of the walk in, they had two boxes of OpusX.....$49.99 per stick. Thats a little rich for me, but that is NOTHING to the Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Newport Coast, Laguna, Laguna Niguel, etc. clientele.

So why are you complaining about your local B&M then? If you knew what he charged for Opus, why call and ask for Anejo if you know they're also going to be marked up unfairly?

The guy who held the box for you at your B&M was doing you a favor really - he thought of you as a customer, knowing you like Fuente stuff, went out of his way to hold a box of special cigars for you. He could easily sell those cigars by the stick - but, out of consideration for you, he held on to it and probably lost a few sales because of it.

Sure, the B&M is gouging. However, you weren't exactly being the most consistent character with your actions either.

A) I know from past experience he doesn't overcharge much for Anejos. Maybe $1-2 over MSRP.

B) He wasn't doing me any favors. He NEVER sells Opus by the stick. In fact, he never sells them to "customers" because he doesn't put them on the shelf. He sells all his Opus to Terry Bradshaw at 2-3X MSRP (i.e. when Opus come in, he calls TB and sells them to him). TB doesn't like the smaller sizes so he didn't take the #5s. The owner had them buried and asked me if I wanted them as an afterthought after I bought a box of Anejo 55s and Maduro Sigs. He lost no sales because of this because he never puts Opus on the shelf. Period. In fact, he probably thought he could get his 2-3x MRSP from me because I like Fuente stuff.

C) How was I inconsistent? I only called asking for Anejos. When the one box of 55s came in, he held them for me and I bought them. I then asked if he got any Maduro Hemingways. He said yes, and I said I would take the box of Sigs. Both were maybe $1-2 over MSRP per stick. I never asked for Opus, knowing he charges 2-3x MSRP for them.

So why are you complaining about your local B&M then? If you knew what he charged for Opus, why call and ask for Anejo if you know they're also going to be marked up unfairly?

The guy who held the box for you at your B&M was doing you a favor really - he thought of you as a customer, knowing you like Fuente stuff, went out of his way to hold a box of special cigars for you. He could easily sell those cigars by the stick - but, out of consideration for you, he held on to it and probably lost a few sales because of it.

Sure, the B&M is gouging. However, you weren't exactly being the most consistent character with your actions either.

A) I know from past experience he doesn't overcharge much for Anejos. Maybe $1-2 over MSRP.

B) He wasn't doing me any favors. He NEVER sells Opus by the stick. In fact, he never sells them to "customers" because he doesn't put them on the shelf. He sells all his Opus to Terry Bradshaw at 2-3X MSRP (i.e. when Opus come in, he calls TB and sells them to him). TB doesn't like the smaller sizes so he didn't take the #5s. The owner had them buried and asked me if I wanted them as an afterthought after I bought a box of Anejo 55s and Maduro Sigs. He lost no sales because of this because he never puts Opus on the shelf. Period. In fact, he probably thought he could get his 2-3x MRSP from me because I like Fuente stuff.

C) How was I inconsistent? I only called asking for Anejos. When the one box of 55s came in, he held them for me and I bought them. I then asked if he got any Maduro Hemingways. He said yes, and I said I would take the box of Sigs. Both were maybe $1-2 over MSRP per stick. I never asked for Opus, knowing he charges 2-3x MSRP for them.

Well, sorry on my part. That's a ton of information I didn't have. I assumed if he's way over MSRP on Opus, he'd do the same on other rare Fuente product. My bad.

One of my local B&Ms is the same way. They sell anejos and hemingways for MSRP, but the keep the opus for the "club members" and sell it to them for 2-3x MSRP... I'd rather smoke hemingway maddies anyways! :laugh:

I feel sorry for you guys... My local B&M charges a dollar or two over MSRP on ALL Fuente stuff - rare or not... Same with VSG's. I don't mind paying that because the guy runs a class operation - he lets us hang out in his leather chairs and watch TV on his LCD big screen. Every so often he springs for pizzas. And he likes giving goodies away to his regulars. I figure that's well worth the price of admission.

BTW - don't EVER feed gougers. If they're selling Anejo's at about MSRP, but charging 2-3X for Opus - call him on it and walk away. Otherwise they'll never get the idea they shouldn't. ;)

Well at the place where i now go...the PerfecxionX is 18, the Fuente Fuente Opus X is 19, the Petite Lanceros is i think 15, and the BTL and WOAM are both 16. So take that how you want to. I think 41 damn dollars for most things that arent obscenely rare is nuts...

Melly

I paid $12 and change for the Fuente Fuente Opus X yesterday in Ybor city...i paid $23 for some Fuente Fuente Opus X aged two years--these are a gift for my dad...they have the 2005 band and come in the class tube and what not...it makes for a nice presentation.

BTW - don't EVER feed gougers. If they're selling Anejo's at about MSRP, but charging 2-3X for Opus - call him on it and walk away. Otherwise they'll never get the idea they shouldn't. ;)

I agree. As much as we complain about it, unless you do something, the shop is never going to stop. And during the holiday season I suspect some Non-Cigar smoking gift buyers get taken for a ride by these shops.

Back