• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Hemingway Signature Sungrown

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
I just picked up a box of these at Arnold's which arrived Tuesday so these MAY not be fully recovered yet. But as I was packing up a fiver for Buzzed I just couldn't resist their siren call.

Most of you are familiar with the Fuente Signature with one wrapper or another. But this is the first time, to my knowledge, Fuente has wrapped it in their yummy sungrown wrapper. These are 6 X 47 perfectos with a very nicely rounded cap and a fine tip on the foot. The wrapper looks much like the one they use on the Chateau line. Perhaps a bit lighter color. The stick has just the right firmness and give to it. Pre-light draw is a bit firm which I've found typical of these perfectos.

First draw is still a bit firm but opens up very quickly to a perfect rate. Given as densely bunched these are, the draw is amazing after lighting. Flavors of cocoa are present right from the start.

1st third: The cocoa gradually builds with a spicy, gingerbread undertone. This spicy flavor lingers competing with the cocoa.

2nd third: The flavors have now become intense. Burn wanders a little but self corrects. After only two days rest in this heat, I'd be surprised if the burn was perfect. Ash holds for an inch or so and is light gray and firm, typical of the Hemingway line. The spicy flavor reminds me of the LA Cien Anos Beli.

Last third: I'm starting to feel like selling two fivers was a rash move! :) This last third is the best part. Flavors continue to build with no bitterness or other deleterious effects. It just gets better!

Conclusion: Buy these cigars! $250/box is high but I think the value is good. These will most likely age very well and are already smoking great.

Edit: SP

I just picked up a box of these at Arnold's which arrived Tuesday so these MAY not be fully recovered yet. But as I was packing up a fiver for Buzzed I just couldn't resist their siren call.

Most of you are familiar with the Fuente Signature with one wrapper or another. But this is the first time, to my knowledge, Fuente has wrapped it in their yummy sungrown wrapper. These are 6 X 47 perfectos with a very nicely rounded cap and a fine tip on the foot. The wrapper looks much like the one they use on the Chateau line. Perhaps a bit lighter color. The stick has just the right firmness and give to it. Pre-light draw is a bit firm which I've found typical of these perfectos.

First draw is still drawing a bit firm but opens up very quickly into a perfect rate. Given has densely bunched these are, the draw is amazing after lighting. Flavors of cocoa are present right from the start.

1st third: The cocoa gradually builds with a spicy, gingerbread undertone. This spicy flavor lingers competing with the cocoa.

2nd third: The flavors have now become intense. Burn wanders a little but self corrects. Two days rest in this heat I'd be surprised if the burn was perfect. Ash holds for an inch or so and is light gray and firm, typical of the Hemingway line. The spicy flavor reminds me of the LA Cien Anos Beli.

Last third: I'm starting to feel like selling two fivers was a rash move! :) This last third is the best part. Flavors continue to build with no bitterness or other deleterious effects. It just gets better!

Conclusion: Buy these cigars! $250/box is high but I think the value is good. These will most likely age very well anbd are already smoking great.

Nice review! I really enjoy the original release of these and am curious to see how these stack up and whether or not these are a more recent production or just held back all of these years.

Nice review! I really enjoy the original release of these and am curious to see how these stack up and whether or not these are a more recent production or just held back all of these years.
Thanks. I was told that the Hemingway Classic was the only one ever released with a SG wrapper. Have you seen a Signature SG?

Thanks. I was told that the Hemingway Classic was the only one ever released with a SG wrapper. Have you seen a Signature SG?

The Classic SGs were the only ones that were previously available for sale. There were a few (don't recall the exact number, maybe two) boxes of Signature SGs rolled back in 2005 or 2006 maybe as an experiment. They never went to market and if I had to guess, suspect that the cigars were distributed as part of a CFCF function/event many years ago. A few singles have popped over over the years for sale.

Thanks for the info, Azoetia. Fuente loves to tease the public with small releases. I would love to try the Short Story Maduro or 858 Rosado! :) But most have to bve satisfies with whatever is released in quantity. I still don't knbow how many of these boxes were made. Other than Arnold's, I've seen none advertised. I would guess Tampa Sweethearts has some and some other, older Fuente clients.

Nice review!!

These are truly a wonderful smoke. Both Hemingways and the 858 are knockout smokes. I think two more boxes of each will enough considering I can't keep my hands off them!!!

Might sound like a stupid question, but visually how hard (or easy) is it to tell this wrapper apart from the others? I've got some aged dark naturals that already blend in with the Hemingway maddies. :whistling:

Awesome review! Now wishing I had picked up some of these.

Might sound like a stupid question, but visually how hard (or easy) is it to tell this wrapper apart from the others? I've got some aged dark naturals that already blend in with the Hemingway maddies. :whistling:

The texture of the wrappers are very different. The sun grown wrapper is very course in comparison and the veins are thicker(for lack of a better word). Judging only by the color of the leaf would be very difficult.

Not a dumb question at all..I looked at my hemi stash and found some natural sigs that look almost identical to the sungrown ones. Not easy to tell the difference. You can definitely tell by the taste though!

edit to add: Good point vinnyvega. I didn't pay much attention to the texture but you are correct sir.

A well aged Nat, SG, and maddie all have dark wrappers. There are subtle differences, though. The Cammie is toothy, the maddie a pretty uniform, very dark wrapper. The SG is dark, too, but is less uniform in color with lighter areas.

Thanks for the replies!

Now for my next question, I found a pacific dampwood termite on my deck this afternoon. Should I be worried?

A little off topic but I am smoking a new release 858 SG and the wrapper on this thing is very dark and oily...Fantastic cigar. As good as the 02s and the ORs that I have smoked.

I just saw a Hemingway Rosado Sungrown! Also, 858 Rosado Sungrown. :)

A well aged Nat, SG, and maddie all have dark wrappers. There are subtle differences, though. The Cammie is toothy, the maddie a pretty uniform, very dark wrapper. The SG is dark, too, but is less uniform in color with lighter areas.

From what I have seen the maduros are also kinda toothy but the sungrowns are pretty smooth. It's hard to tell them apart which is why I either leave them in the ziploc bag together or put stickers on the cello with name and month/year bought.

Wtf? Where did you see a hemi rosado? That sounds v. interesting
I saw an ad for them but the people selling them MAY have misidentified them. You can ask them for clarification.

It was at cigars-for-less.com

I'd call them first to make sure they aren't just the SGs.

I saw an ad for them but the people selling them MAY have misidentified them. You can ask them for clarification.

They misidentified them....don't ask me how I know... :whistling: :whistling:

They misidentified them....don't ask me how I know... :whistling: :whistling:
So that's where you bought yours?

These guys have a big selection but they are not real bright and don't care about customers, from my experience.

They also USED to have good deals on Padrons, which was why I USED to shop there. ;)