• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gas or Charcoal

The ideal situation is to have both. I have a nice Charbroil gas grill that cooks chicken and steak unbelievably well... way above and beyond what's possible in my standard kitchen... yet different than if it were cooked over charcoal. I'm with most of you when I say I simply don't have the time *all the time* to devote to grilling. But... when the time *is* right (bbq, party, family over for dinner, etc.) then it's very worth while to get the charcoal going because you're making a day of it, and the food is the reason you're getting together. I have a smaller Weber for that and I also can't recommend Weber enough.

So while I love charcoal, if I had to choose one or the other, I'd have to go with a high-end gas grill for those times when for instance I really want extremely tasty grilled chicken and don't want to devote more than 20 minutes to the entire process. And no I've never had a propane taste! Had I more time on my hands, I'd have no need for propane.

my favorite weapon

gallery_2280_527_75423.jpg

The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker (WSM)

I wasn't even aware that there was an heat-source option other than lump charcoal ???

If you want a gas grill, the best option is an infrared, a la TEC. Hook it up to the Natural Gas line from your house. It is quick, easy, and produces clean flavors. Plus you can use infrared in sub zero weather.

If you are a process driven person, get a Weber. Buy real charcoal (not Kingsford) and enjoy your time. Coal fire is much more difficult to master and many like the added flavors. Plus, extra time for a smoke.

They are not mutually exclusive. Get both.

I use charcoal in my homemade 55 gallon drum grill. We load that sucker up with potatos, corn on the cob, vegetables, and all the meat and fixings and go to work! We love cooking on the grill.

Cooking outside gives me time to enjoy 30 minutes of a cigar and a few beers. Then top it all off with a delicious meal!

I have a large Weber charcoal grill and have had it for a good 8 years and plan to have it a lot longer. My wife wants to get a gas grill, but I've managed to push back for the past 4 years and will continue to do so until she comes home w/ a grill. I'm not going to buy one.

I usually cook out back on the deck, but this past weekend I rolled it around the house and grilled on the driveway while the kids played in the front yard. I enjoy setting them to flame and doing something else while they get going.

I wish I had the time to cook with charcoal. Nothing beats it for taste.

Limited time so the gas grill does it for me. :(

Charcoal is the only way for me. When I cook out though we make it a family or friends event. Can't beat the tast IMO.

Chaaaarcoal!!! There's nothing like it!!! :thumbs:
After you get it going, sit back with your favorite drink and light up a fine cigar.

The local "Academy" Sporting good store sells Pecan and Some apple Wood-- not Charcoal.-- Expierment and find The exact Flavor you like.

To all My brothers who use charcoal and enjoy Cool beverages and a good smoke I say amen.

I use both. I think you already said it. Gas adds no flavor, so if it is heavily marinaded or I want to be quick or will be needing to turn it off or on, I use gas. When I have the time and are planning it, charcoal.

Fresh ground burgers and skinless chicken really love the charcoal.

Gas grill with smoker box!

But if you do go the charcoal route, then only use hardwood charcoal.

Gas is fast but the smell of burning charcoal = nostalgia.........................................and possibly carcinogens.

As an urban apartment dweller, I use the hell out of my gas Weber. 3-4 nights per week on a slow week during the spring and summer.

I love to cook over charcoal, but if that was my only option I wouldn't grill nearly as much.

One day when I have a yard I'll rock a dual grill set-up...

I have a both gas and charcoal Weber grills and a Bradley smoker. Gas when time is short or you need an assembly line, charcoal when you have the luxery of time, smoker whenever I can.