• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gas Wars!

benjiev

"The Honorable"
A buddy of mine sent me this email which I thought was interesting so I am passing it along.

But I am curious where do you buy your gas?

WHERE TO BUY YOUR USA-GAS
>
>WHERE TO BUY YOUR USA-GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON--Why
>didn't George W. think of this? Gas rationing in the 80s worked even
>though we grumbled about it.
>
>It might even be good for us!& nbsp; The Saudis are boycotting American
>goods.
>
>We should return the favor.
>
>An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up
>the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi
>Arabia.
>Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.
>
>Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up
>the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my
>family, and my friends.
>
>I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies
>are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle
>Eastern oil.
>
>These companies import Middle Eastern
>oil:Shell............................ 3,611,000 barrels
>Chevron/Texaco......... 14,724,000 barrels
>Exxon /Mobil............... 13,273,000 barrels
>Marathon/Speedway... 10,710,000 barrels
>Amoco............................3,611,000 barrels
>
>
>Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
>
>Citgo......................0 barrels
>Sunoco...................0 barrels
>Conoco..................0 barrels
>Sinclair.................0 barrels
>BP/Phillips............0 barrels
>Hess.......................0 barrels
>ARC0....................0 barrels
>
>All of this information is available from the Department of Energyand
>each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are
>importing.
>
>But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas
>buyers. It's really simple to do.
>
>Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how
>simple it is to reach millions of people!! I'm sending this note to
>about thirty people.
>
>If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and
>those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) .. and so on,
>by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people,
>
>we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!!
>
>If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each,
>then 30 million people will have been contacted!
>
>If it goes one level further,! you guessed it ..... THREE HUNDRED
>MILLION PEOPLE!!!
>
>
>Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. How long would all
>that take?
>
>If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day,
>all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next
>eight days!

I got this email a while ago and I now only go to the smaller stations that DON'T use middle eastern sources. I would, still, even be willing to pay more for American gas! But turns out, it is usually cheaper! :thumbs:

Awesome information, I will now only fuel up at the non-importers, and also will pass this along to others.

I've been going to Citgo for awhile for no real reason but now I will continue to because of this.

Wow... good stuff to know... looks like I'm gonna be gassing up at the BP from now on...

I love these spam-mail hoaxes (BP owns and uses Amoco fuel, but somehow they aren't importing - makes sense :p)

In CA Texaco bought out BP and then Shell bought out Texaco hmmmmm
gotta find a new place now :)

I buy at Costco, and here's my question: how can they be .22/gallon cheaper than the local stations, since everybody buys fuel from the same distributors?

Is it the old business wisdom: We lose money on every sale, but we make it up in volume? :laugh: :p

That email is pretty old. I would say that it is out of date by about a year. Being as lazy as i can be on a Friday, someone else do the research and I will read it :)

Most of the gas Ibuy is Sunoco or Hess and that was without knowing they were the domestic brands or the brands that did not have middle eastern oil. Notice Idid not capitalize middle eastern. I do not feel they have my respect.

Since diesel got "out of control" price wise here on the west coast, I've been running my VW TDI on Biodiesel. That can be made from corn, soybeans, etc. grown right here in the USA.

Honestly, with my TDI getting 40-45 MPG, running a fuel we can more or less GROW right here in the US, I scratch my head and wonder why this isn't a far more popular, more often discussed option. I hear that Mercedes is going to offer a turbo diesel, and I think BMW is about to do the same.

FWIW - B.B.S.

Edit - by the way, Snopes completely rocks for debunking "urban legands" and other "questionable" e-mail you may get. It should be a requirement that all such "info" get double checked there before it's posted in a forum.... :p

I've been hearing a lot about biodiesel lately. I really like the idea of a "green fuel" but currently available biodiesel has some significant problems. One, it's economically attractrive right now largely due to government subsidies and to a lesser extent, low demand. If it had to compete in an open market with no subsidies and increased demand the price advantage would vanish.

Two, and I'm no expert, but a lot of what I've heard suggests that the energy input vs. production output isn't all that favorable...and in some locales, the energy input may be derived from the burning of fossil fuels. Seems to me that's like unhitching your horses and leading them around to the back of the wagon in order to push.

I'm curious. How does your mileage compare bio vs. petroleum-base diesel? IIRC, and I may well be wrong, but doesn't bio have a lower thermal capacity?

Aside...I saw a blurb about some fella in Europe who's developed a process that utilizes road-killed cats to supplement the vegetable matter in order to produce bio-diesel.

PetersCreek said:
I'm curious. How does your mileage compare bio vs. petroleum-base diesel? IIRC, and I may well be wrong, but doesn't bio have a lower thermal capacity?
PetersCreek - in my VW, I can't tell the difference. Maybe larger displacement engines would tend to show a difference, but I honestly can't tell in terms of performance, nor MPG.

It got attractive when diesel here in the PacNW topped $3.00 / gal. Damn good thing I'm getting 40+ MPG.... :whistling:

Of course, there are folks that run their diesels on "french fry oil" which is a WAAAY different situation than Biodiesel. BD is a blended fuel that has the ratings to be used without any special mods to the engine / fuel delivery system.

Regards - B.B.S.

PetersCreek said:
symyn said:
someone else do the research and I will read it :)
Ask and ye shall receive...

FALSE
[snapback]226607[/snapback]​

So I wonder.....Don't people have better things to do than sit around on the internet all day and come up with different ways to screw with people? Who are these people....:whistling:

It wouldn't be so bad if people exercised a little critical thought before passing these things along...but then we've all had moments when we stopped thinking a little too soon.