• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting high in Colorado...(the usual play on words)

punk_lawyer

Habeas Punkus
I like to get high in the Rocky Mountains...since the snow there is impeccable (certainly far better than Utah).  I am soon heading out to Steamboat for some all mountain snowboarding.  And some winter fly fishing since there are fish there.

ALL of EVERYTHING that I read about Colorado right now is related to recreational marijuana.  There was some party bus that left Cincinnati and drove to Colorado for the January 1 opening day for marijuana sales.  I am guessing that the state will be seriously caught up with the munchies when I am there.  I also guess that I am going to look like a dinosaur from a by-gone era when I light up a cigar.  Is Colorado basically one big cloud of marijuana smoke right now?  My trip to Colorado this year looks to be...interesting...entertaining...enlightening... 

But the thing that has me a bit puzzled is that it seems to me that it's probably easier to smoke marijuana (legal for recreational smoking only in Colorado) than it is to smoke a cigar (legal with some restrictions in all 50 states and US territories).  The smoking ban in Steamboat as to tobacco appears to me to be more restrictive than the smoking restrictions on marijuana.  Am I wrong?

I don't think Smurfy is smokin' any pot.

Doc

You are a little bit wrong.  You will encounter people smoking pot in public, but it is still illegal.  Every city has different regulations imposed, but most DO NOT allow for you to smoke it in public.  For instance, while walking down the street.  The same is not relevant for tobacco products.  You will be able to smoke a cigar in designated areas in Steamboat and inside at places that allow that type of activity.  Like a cigar lounge, which I don't think Steamboat has one, or a Houaka lounge, which I do believe Steamboat has.  I don't ski any longer, so I am not sure about the hills and resorts.  But I can smoke a cigar while I fish on the river right through town.  And I know I have walked up and down the street with a cigar in my hand while at the Winter carnival last year.  I hope this helps you out.

Looks like we may see some deep fried Oreo stands popping up on street corners soon.........

I wonder how long it takes a cash strapped California to see how much money Colorado pulls in with tax revenue and follow suit.

We already have very loose pot laws here, John.  You can't go a mile without seeing a green cross on a building.  That said, it's not exactly Amsterdam here.  It's easy to get and I know plenty of sources, heck I could get my own card if I wanted to, but you don't see people puffing away just walking down the street (well, unless it's a group of dumb kids who think they are doing something "shocking" when in reality nobody really gives a crap).

They just reported last night that first day generated $1 million in sales.

I know how relaxed Cali is in regards to marijuana Jeff. My point was more of a "we should just legitimately legalize, control, and tax the hell out of it to generate a large amount of revenue for the state".

Jason, I think there were less than 1 dozen shops that actually opened.  And they had very limited inventory due to the regulations.  They could not start their grow operations until the 1st of January.  So most were dispenseries that transferred a limited amount over to their retail locations.

John, it will be interesting how long it takes for the entire country to realize the tax benefits and the fact that it is already in their communities anyways.  So why not tax and regulate it and realize those gains.

ilikefishes said:
You are a little bit wrong.  You will encounter people smoking pot in public, but it is still illegal.  Every city has different regulations imposed, but most DO NOT allow for you to smoke it in public.  For instance, while walking down the street.  The same is not relevant for tobacco products.  You will be able to smoke a cigar in designated areas in Steamboat and inside at places that allow that type of activity.  Like a cigar lounge, which I don't think Steamboat has one, or a Houaka lounge, which I do believe Steamboat has.  I don't ski any longer, so I am not sure about the hills and resorts.  But I can smoke a cigar while I fish on the river right through town.  And I know I have walked up and down the street with a cigar in my hand while at the Winter carnival last year.  I hope this helps you out.

Yeah, I hope I am wrong.  When I looked at the ordinances in Steamboat side by side there just seemed to be more specific 'no you can't do that' in regard to tobacco than there is to marijuana.  My guess is that enforcement will be pretty stern at the beginning on the marijuana side.

We had a great trip to Steamboat.  I was able to light up a few times...those 'Colorado Puros' are not for the faint of heart.  :whistling:

punk_lawyer said:
We had a great trip to Steamboat.  I was able to light up a few times...those 'Colorado Puros' are not for the faint of heart.  :whistling:
Aisle 6 for urine tests. :laugh: