• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Give me Rye whiskey

Thank you. After some more thought, it's definitely my favorite article and backdrop we used of all the articles we had done.

I can agree with most of your ratings but who did the one for the Hirsch? It was way outta line compared to the blind tasting we did at my place. It was the lowest of the 5 we tried.

My co-author and I did them all blind. Not sure if I rated it higher or he did. We took averages of our two ratings.
This was the 22 year old, which at the time wasnt released yet. If I am not mistaken, the rumor is/was that it's vw whisky.

I find my notes, my 4 favs were in no order:

VWFR, Rittenhouse 21, Michters 10 (although supposedly another rumor is that this is 18-20 years old, after tasting it I might agree), BMH 23

I really didnt like the Anchor one that much at all honestly, I rated it lower for taste, but we gave it a higher score for originality and trying to do something different. I remember it smelling just like apple juice and tasting like dry smoked apples, but very much along the lines of JW!

See post #5 and click on the "here" for what was tasted. The Michter's is the same as the original VWFR 13, you'll just have to believe me on that but the source is in a position to know. The Hirsch is too old to be VW and it isn't anywhere near the same. I've done a side by side of them. I believe the BMH is old Willett stock as the 22 Willett and the 23 BMH are pretty close IMO with the exception of the Willett being full cask strength which does have an effect on the flavor.

Great thread. I purchased a bottle of the Jim Beam Rye for the Mt Vernon Egg Nog last December. Good stuff!

I'll look for the Wild Turkey Rye too.

Thanks!
Bill

The Hirsch is too old to be VW and it isn't anywhere near the same.

I asked for sources of every rye, most were very elusive and would not disclose their source. Obviosuly ALL this overaged rye came from only a handful of sources since not many people had that much aged stock. When asked about their sources some offered partial information and that was how I found out Hirsch may have be old VW stock. Bought years ago and held until later bottled as Hirsch. I messaged Julian directly as well as Henry Preiss at that time, but I'd have to dig up all my info to reaffirm my suspicions. I am going off my memory right now and my memory is lousy!

Michters and VW same stuff, huh? Very cool. I'll add that tidbit to my database.

Ain't that the truth, they won't give up the info easily.

The Hirsch is too old to be VW and it isn't anywhere near the same.

I asked for sources of every rye, most were very elusive and would not disclose their source. Obviously ALL this overaged rye came from only a handful of sources since not many people had that much aged stock. When asked about their sources some offered partial information and that was how I found out Hirsch may have be old VW stock. Bought years ago and held until later bottled as Hirsch. I messaged Julian directly as well as Henry Preiss at that time, but I'd have to dig up all my info to reaffirm my suspicions. I am going off my memory right now and my memory is lousy!

Michters and VW same stuff, huh? Very cool. I'll add that tidbit to my database.

Anyone ever try Templeton Rye? It's made here in Iowa and is about all I see offered as far as rye in bars and liquor stores.

I've been looking for that and Fleischman's rye too. Send me a fifth or liter and I'll pay you for it.

Anyone ever try Templeton Rye? It's made here in Iowa and is about all I see offered as far as rye in bars and liquor stores.

Templeton Rye isnt available in NJ or at least I dont think so. The story on their website (a rather nice website to be honest) is a bit of a stretch and the good people at sb.com researched it to the point where they found out (if my memory serves me correctly) that Templeton Rye was indeed also sourced from somewhere else and that source was not disclosed as usual!

I cant speak to the taste, but I assume its good stuff.

As far as Fleischmann's rye goes, if I ever see it I'll let you know.

I used to enjoy Wild Turkey Rye and a buddy of mine still keeps it stocked in his bar. It's a bit pricey but very good. Not every store stocks it, though.

Time to visit an old friend, perhaps? :D

I've never been much of a bourbon fan, the occasional Jack Daniels or Jim Beam shot, but nothing to really enjoy.

After this post I tried out the Jim Beam Rye, and it's like the missing link between all the whiskey's. It hints at all the whiskey styles (except Islay) and is remarkably easy drinking like a smooth Irish or Canadian

I've never been much of a bourbon fan, the occasional Jack Daniels or Jim Beam shot, but nothing to really enjoy.

After this post I tried out the Jim Beam Rye, and it's like the missing link between all the whiskey's. It hints at all the whiskey styles (except Islay) and is remarkably easy drinking like a smooth Irish or Canadian

Two of my favorite mixed drinks are the mint julep and the mojito.

For the mint julep I use Beam Rye and for my mojito's I use Appleton White rum.

Sometimes I get into this mode where I think "more expensive is better." So I often mentally hesitate to use these two under $20.00 dollar spirits. But after I make my first julep or old fasioned or mojito and or daiquiri I realize that I prefer these less expensive brands because they are "weak" enough to just mix really well with the other ingredients without totally dominating the drink.

Beam rye, like Appleton White have both treated me very well the next morning too. I even like Beam Rye neat with an ice cube once and awhile.

While the top shelf rye's are obviously a lot more complex and rich in flavor and are a lot better to drink straight, I still really enjoy the good ol cheap Beam Rye ..... and it's cheap enough, also, for an occasional "Beam and Coke" without a guilt trip. :) :)

Heaven Hill Rye
Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof - available in the US
Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof - available in the US
Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof 10 yr - available Europe

Pikeville Supreme Rye 80 proof - north east US only - limited production

Stephen Foster Rye 80 proof - north east US only - limited production - may not be bottled anymore

Pikeville and Stephen Foster are the same product just different label.

Beam Rye
Old Overholt - not the same as the Yellow label
Yellow Label
R1 - ? Marketing Departments idea probably

Wild Turkey
WT Rye 101
Russels Reserve Rye

Barton
Fleischmans Rye - only available in Wisconsin
Barton Brands sold to Buffalo Trace recently - Fleischmans future unknown

Buffalo Trace
Sazarac - 6 yr
Sazarac - Antique Collection - limited release late October each year - 17 years or older
Thomas H. Handy - Antique Collection - limited release late October each year - 6 or 7 years - Barrel Proof and un-chill filtered

Julian Van Winkle
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye - 13 year old - several extensive post are available on other boards that detail the history of this rye, the Michters rye from several years ago and some of the older BMH bottlings - the rye was tanked about 5 years ago to prevent excess barrel influence - Julian releases limited amounts each year - the bottles carry a letter code and number that identifies the bottling. Julian assures us that he has more rye on the way.

I will have bottles of all but the Fleischmans and Rittenhouse 10 yr available for tasting at the KBF Sampler and the Festival. Stop by and I will set you up with a tasting. Look for the croc at the Gazebo. M if you need directions.

Four Roses recently announced that they have a Rye in the works. ? Barrel proof and un-chill filtered ? Jim, please bottle it straight from the barrel.

Heaven Hill Rye
Rittenhouse Rye 80 proof - available in the US
Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof - available in the US
Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof 10 yr - available Europe

Pikeville Supreme Rye 80 proof - north east US only - limited production

Stephen Foster Rye 80 proof - north east US only - limited production - may not be bottled anymore

Pikeville and Stephen Foster are the same product just different label.

Beam Rye
Old Overholt - not the same as the Yellow label
Yellow Label
R1 - ? Marketing Departments idea probably

Wild Turkey
WT Rye 101
Russels Reserve Rye

Barton
Fleischmans Rye - only available in Wisconsin
Barton Brands sold to Buffalo Trace recently - Fleischmans future unknown

Buffalo Trace
Sazarac - 6 yr
Sazarac - Antique Collection - limited release late October each year - 17 years or older
Thomas H. Handy - Antique Collection - limited release late October each year - 6 or 7 years - Barrel Proof and un-chill filtered

Julian Van Winkle
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye - 13 year old - several extensive post are available on other boards that detail the history of this rye, the Michters rye from several years ago and some of the older BMH bottlings - the rye was tanked about 5 years ago to prevent excess barrel influence - Julian releases limited amounts each year - the bottles carry a letter code and number that identifies the bottling. Julian assures us that he has more rye on the way.

I will have bottles of all but the Fleischmans and Rittenhouse 10 yr available for tasting at the KBF Sampler and the Festival. Stop by and I will set you up with a tasting. Look for the croc at the Gazebo. M if you need directions.

Four Roses recently announced that they have a Rye in the works. ? Barrel proof and un-chill filtered ? Jim, please bottle it straight from the barrel.

Charles, I will be at the sampler and look forward to this tasting rye event! Since I know what you look like, I'll just look for you!

Regards,
Tony

Hey Tony,
Pick up a case or two of the Fleischmans if you happen to pass thru Wisconsin.
I will work a trade with you for some Rittenhouse, ER Decanter 1982, private bottlings of WT KS and FR SB.
LOL.
Or just help us with our campaign to convince BT to let us select a few barrels from the warehouse.
and a few VOB 100 barrels
and a few 1792 barrels
and ......