• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glass Doors?

Jimmy Jammer

Hi,

Weil I have to decide... I'm ordering a cabinet humidor.

Glass doors look cool in the pictures like:

http://www.aristocra...herry-quilt.htm

but looking at your piled up boxes just looks messy. And it's going into a sunny room...

Maybe solid doors like:

http://www.aristocra...plus-tiger.html

I'm leaning toward solid doors but with the tiger wood dyed dark to contrast the quilted wood.

I love looking at my stash so glass would give a lot of pleasure for now, but how will I feel in one, two, or more years? It might get old.

Do you get tired of looking at your collection?

This kind of humidor is like a tattoo! I need to get it right because it's going to with me for the rest of my life.:love:

Thanks, --Jimmy

I like wood doors for several reasons. Especially with a rambunctious young one in the house.
In addition,while I have heard of folks converting their Aristocrats from glass to wood, I have never heard of the opposite.
I like the tiger wood, but personally have never like light and dark mixed. Just too drastic a contrast.
For instance, if you look at paint chip for a certain color, the standard rule is two shades differance. That said, I still don't know if I would like it.
I think the differance in grain is enough of a contrast.

What Monk said!

I have glass doors on mine and got it because I wanted to be able to sit and stare at my stash. Gets old after a while and I no longer think about it now that the novelty has worn off. Problem is, I want to display such a beautiful piece, but our house has so many windows and light it's hard to find a spot where the sun does not shine through the glass.

I've actually seen the damage the UV rays have done to the dress boxes over time, and this is with just pretty much filtered sunlight. I don't dare leave any singles exposed. Not to mention, when I first moved to my current residence and did not think about the effects of the direct sunlight, the glass acted as an amplifier and the temps would rise to 78 - 82 degrees inside before I moved it somewhere else.

I have glass on my cabinet. I like it, and I would never change it. I don't notice any adverse effects to my cigars, however I do keep it out of direct sunlight.

Will

I would agree with the MadMonk and Mr. Fields on the reasons against it. I would also consider the issue of long term seal with the gasket material between the wood and glass. If you are keeping long term as you state, this will be an issue over time. How cost effective is it to re-seal the glass in both time and money? Will Bob come to your house to repair or do you have to send the panels back? Like in all things YMMV.

I have glass doors on my aristocrat and love it. I purposely wanted glass doors so it was an unique piece of furniture (it's an end table in our living room) that's a conversation piece. Some like it, some don't. I've had the unit ~10 years (maybe a little less) and never had any sealing issues with the door. It is not in direct sunlight, although I would avoid direct sunlight with any humidor.

I'd only do glass doors if they were frosted and had some kind of artwork on them (like a tobacco leaf). I'd probably just go with solid wood doors, though, for simplicity, if I were to ever buy one of these.

I have glass on the door of my humi, it's called a mirror.

I sit in front of it when I'm smoking and I always have great company.

I like the aesthetics of glass doors, but the practicality of wood doors. In the end it comes down to where you will be storing your cabinet humidor. If you are unsure, or there is a possibility that you may move it down the road...go with the practical option. Doubly so if you are using this cabinet for long-term storage.

Both of my humis have glass doors.
One is a vertical desktop, and all you see are the drawers and hygrometer inside.
The other is a Vinotemp.
Neither is in a public part of my house, so not 'on display'.

I really like being able to check the rh without opening the units.

Chemyst :cool:

I definitely see the benefit of reading the meters from the outside. Arlin Liss does that with some of his cabinets. I'm going to ask Bob about it.

The area I have been given to keep it in is very sunny in the afternoon so I think regardless if glass doors are better or worse, I think that means its solid doors.

@Monk - I think you're right about the two-shade rule. I'm leaning towards natural tiger maple with natural quilted maple panels and top. Maybe add a thin dark inlay around the panels and top?

Thanks --Jimmy

I definitely see the benefit of reading the meters from the outside. Arlin Liss does that with some of his cabinets. I'm going to ask Bob about it.

Thanks --Jimmy

I bought a $20 or so wireless weather station on ebay. It's came perfectly calibrated out of the box. It displays the temp and RH both on the sensor and the base. I can check the make when I get home if you're interested.

Thanks --Jimmy

I bought a $20 or so wireless weather station on ebay. It's came perfectly calibrated out of the box. It displays the temp and RH both on the sensor and the base. I can check the make when I get home if you're interested.

Shamrocker, That's a great idea. I should have thought of that.:rolleyes: $20 solution. I've got a temp and RH wireless meter in my wine cellar that has alarms if temp and/or RH get's out of their limits but it cost much more :( . Post the make and model if you can.

Thanks. --Jimmy

Thanks --Jimmy

Shamrocker, That's a great idea. I should have thought of that.:rolleyes: $20 solution. I've got a temp and RH wireless meter in my wine cellar that has alarms if temp and/or RH get's out of their limits but it cost much more :( . Post the make and model if you can.

Thanks. --Jimmy

I've got one of THESE. It allows me to have three different satellite probes. I can check both of my coolidors, outside, and the temp and RH in my house all with the push of a button. And they are always spot on.

I had the same question when I was shopping. I opted for solid wood for the same reason MadMonk discussed.

Thanks --Jimmy

Thanks. --Jimmy

It's an Acurite 00592A2 / 00592W1. It came with 1 remote unit and 1 base. It will suppport 3 remotes in total. It cost me $37 after exchange, shipping, and pp fees. Works amazing.
Just make sure you find a unit that will read RH at the remote unit. A lot of inexpensive ones only do temperature at the remote.