• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glass Top Humidor During Winter Months

Shizzywaz

Hi all,

I am new here and new to cigars or at least to collecting and regularly smoking them. I recently bought a 40-50 ct Humidor with a glass top and am having trouble getting the RH up. I have a Boveda Seasoning pack in it now (for past 7 days) and the highest it got to was 65% but seems to hover around 63%. I recently moved it to an area where direct sunlight cant possibly reach. I know having a glass top can effect RH levels and was wondering if there is anything I should do as far as covering the glass during the drier months of the year. I live in Northern Virginia.

Thanks.

Have you looked at the seal of the glass to the wood? You could be losing RH from there. If you need to reseal, try something like fish tank silicone. It worked great with my glass top.

Also, you might want to go post an intro about yourself, so we can get to know you better.

The glass is leaking, if you haven't done anything to the seal you can just assume that unless you spent $400 on it, and then its probably still leaking. 2k6tbss is exactly correct, take his advice on the silicone and the posting an intro and stay a while :thumbs:

Also for what its worth I ALWAYS kept something over my glass so it kept the light out until I threw it in the trash.

I just posted an intro. Thank you both for the suggestions. Sounds like I should have posted on here before purchasing a glass faced humidor. I will try the silicone to see if it helps and post.

I can honestly say don't go buy a new one yet. If you stick around here long enough you'll need a much larger one. There is a Coolidor thread that is pinned that a lot of guys use and its a cheap way to get a lot of storage.

Thank you. Well, I didn't spend a lot on it so it isn't the end of the world but I will see what I can do with it and hold off on finding a new one like you said. Here is what I got: http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Importers-Desktop-Humidor-Capri-Glasstop/dp/B002TOK352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356633119&sr=8-1&keywords=capri+glasstop+humidor

At least you didn't put to much money into it. I spent $175 on a 100 ct box and I just upgraded it to a Wineador. Just for future reference I read your intro and it sounds like you only have 5-10 sticks at this point, you could just use this also http://www.bedbathan...=1&SKU=16183709

You will spend a lot of money on cigars if you hang out here, it just happens. But I love every second!

Thanks. I am keeping them in Tupperware now and see the point of not wasting money if I dont have cigars to put in it anyway. I just figured getting a humidor for cheap that I could keep up to 50 in then I wouldn't have to worry about running out of room, at least for awhile. I will see what I can do with what I have and if that doesn't work then maybe make a tupperdor and learn some more and eventually make a better purchase.

That is almost the exact same humidor that I had when I started out. Silicone the top and you should be good to go for a while.

BTW - You will outgrow that humidor VERY quickly. Plan on upgrading to a cooler, or a wineador in the near future.

I'll add something to this. First off welcome. Secondly, if you're going to reseal it with silicone, you MUST use aquarium silicone sealant. It's non toxic, and odorless. If you use another type of silicone, it will out gas and ruin the smell of your humidor. Also, if you're going to seal it up, don't forget to touch up around the hygrometer. When I first started I had a glass top with a built in hygrometer. I didn't really have any problems holding humidity, but I resealed it anyways. When I did I noticed I could easily remove the hygrometer, which meant it had a loose fitting. Once I sealed that up, I noticed far less humidity swings.

Just my $0.02

I picked up aquarium sealant from pets mart on the way home from work. I will try sealing around the hygrometer as well. I bought a digital hygrometer and have already calibrated it with the salt test. Definitely appreciate all of the advice and feedback. I will update once everything is sealed and see if rh is any better.

One other thing is I have my thermostat in my house on a schedule and it goes down to 65 for awhile while I'm at work. Is this temperature change enough to really effect the rh of my humidor?

When I resealed mine, I just ran a bead of the sealant around the outside edge of the glass and the wood.

The temp change shouldn't have a huge affect on anything. You probably won't notice a large change in temp inside the humidor, maybe 2-3 degrees.

If you like looking at your gars then don't second guess your glass top purchase too much. Humidity drops when you open the humidor several times a day like I did before I got a glass top one. ;)

OCD? Could be. :)

If you like looking at your gars then don't second guess your glass top purchase too much. Humidity drops when you open the humidor several times a day like I did before I got a glass top one. ;)

OCD? Could be. :)

Yes, that is a good point. I like to be able to walk by and check the rh which I couldn't do without the glasstop, without opening it. I haven't had any problems with it since I sealed it. I also think some of my worries might have been my impatience with the seasoning process.

Back