• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glass top humidor

jdavison

In the last year or so, I started enjoying and collecting cigars. I purchased 2 humidors, both are glass top, within about 3 months of each other. The problem I am having is that I cannot get the humidity to get/stay above 60% in either one. I have recently heard that glass top humidors are not the best because there is always going to be a gap around the glass and therefore do not seal completely.

Question is: does anyone know of any way to seal around the glass that doesn't involve use of materials that could affect the cigars (outgassing compounds like silicone or RTV)? I don't really want to buy another humidor of there is some way to get these to seal properly.

Thanks in advance

Did you properly season the humi's? That would be my first guess. I have a Savoy glasstop 150 that is rock solid. Some people hate glasstops, but I like them. I can still check out my smokes without the urge of opening it up. If I were you, I would put my sticks in tupperware until you figure it out and reseason both of them. Just my two cents.

First, do you have digital or analog hygrometers?

Second, have you calibrated them?

Barring a bad seal, consider the silicone they use for aquariums. Must say that I DONT know there is a difference, but fish are sensitive and I myself would at least look into the possible difference should there be one chemically speaking.

jdavison, why don't you go post an introduction of yourself? So we know you're not a troll

madurotrout said:
Did you properly season the humi's? That would be my first guess. I have a Savoy glasstop 150 that is rock solid. Some people hate glasstops, but I like them. I can still check out my smokes without the urge of opening it up. If I were you, I would put my sticks in tupperware until you figure it out and reseason both of them. Just my two cents.
I seasoned them according to instructions I received with the humidors, and everything seemed to be what was expected...  for a while. I will look into a Tupperware container large enough to hold them. Thanks!

Pugman1943 said:
Barring a bad seal, consider the silicone they use for aquariums. Must say that I DONT know there is a difference, but fish are sensitive and I myself would at least look into the possible difference should there be one chemically speaking.
Thank you...  I'll look into it. Had not thought of that type, but I don't know that there is a difference either.

rickyny said:
jdavison, why don't you go post an introduction of yourself? So we know you're not a troll
Fair enough...  John from St Pete FL...  53...  QC Inspector, vocalist, golfer...  cigar novice. Not real attractive, but not a troll...  
Setharsis said:
First, do you have digital or analog hygrometers?

Second, have you calibrated them?
Analog...  and they matched my digital hygrometers when they arrived.

I had a glass top with the same issue you are having.  I used aquarium sealant to seal the edge and all my problems went away.

The major difference in the aquarium sealant is that it won't continue to gas off like caulking or silicone that you get at your local hardware store.  You want to make sure that the sealant you get is food safe (the aquarium sealant is), I'm guessing you will want to smoke the cigars after the humi is fixed.  If you don't get food safe sealant, it will take a LONG time before you can store cigars in there.

2K6TBSS said:
I had a glass top with the same issue you are having.  I used aquarium sealant to seal the edge and all my problems went away.

The major difference in the aquarium sealant is that it won't continue to gas off like caulking or silicone that you get at your local hardware store.  You want to make sure that the sealant you get is food safe (the aquarium sealant is), I'm guessing you will want to smoke the cigars after the humi is fixed.  If you don't get food safe sealant, it will take a LONG time before you can store cigars in there.
Thank you...  I am pleased to know that I am not the only one with this issue, AND that you found a workable solution. I will start looking for this tomorrow!

In case it's not the glass seal and its the box/lid seal you could always try using painters tape (no other tape as you dont want to pull or create slivers in the wood) like this...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12640]

It's not the prettiest thing but it was suggested by a BOTL here and it worked for me. 

Hi I'm new to collecting cigars and owning a humidor. I learned how to season it and spent numerous hours finding out if crystals or boveda was the right choice. I choose the boveda 72. Anyways, I bought a glass top 25-50 hum I and had about 12 sticks to put in it to start. A cigar store owner gave me 8 cedar stick to add. He said these would help keep my humidor at 70-72 because of the volume needed. I can't keep it higher that 68-67%. I'll wet 3-4 of the cedar stick and it'll get to 72% then fall over a day or two. I noticed that one of the cedar flaps on the humidor lid was loose like a tooth. It also had a gap where they should be touching with the corner of the other flaps. Does that gap need to be sealed for my lid to be sealed? If so what can I use to no poison the cigars? Any advice would be a huge help!
68894f80efdf639f7b19df8e89c4b6c7.jpg
4aabadcfebc09f9bd317ccda52b274c5.jpg

Did you by chance read the thread that you just posted in? Just taking a two second look it appears that all of your questions were covered. The response you will get are 1) have you calibrated your digital hydrometer, 2) silicone was also discussed. If you don't have a calibrated hydrometer you don't actually know what the humidity level is in the box. And finally, RH of 68 is still good. Why do you want it at 72?

That being said, it appears that you got a cheap, low quality humidor. It just may not be worth trying to fix a badly made box and just invest the money in a better one. It will only get worse once the cooler and drier winter settles in.

Also, you might want to post an introduction in the appropriate forum. It's a good bunch of guys here.

Gguziar said:
Hi I'm new to collecting cigars and owning a humidor. I learned how to season it and spent numerous hours finding out if crystals or boveda was the right choice. I choose the boveda 72. Anyways, I bought a glass top 25-50 hum I and had about 12 sticks to put in it to start. A cigar store owner gave me 8 cedar stick to add. He said these would help keep my humidor at 70-72 because of the volume needed. I can't keep it higher that 68-67%. I'll wet 3-4 of the cedar stick and it'll get to 72% then fall over a day or two. I noticed that one of the cedar flaps on the humidor lid was loose like a tooth. It also had a gap where they should be touching with the corner of the other flaps. Does that gap need to be sealed for my lid to be sealed? If so what can I use to no poison the cigars? Any advice would be a huge help!

First things first please go over to the introduction area and introduce yourself.   I would say you didn't season it properly or long enough.  Do some searches on here for seasoning your humidor, this can take around a week.   I would say all things point to the seasoning and probably dry sticks.    Take all your sticks out along with the hydrometer and boveda pack and put them in some tupperware (With a great seal).. Let them sit for 2 days in that and see what you come out with.   If you are at 70-72, then its the seasoning of your humidor or the humidor itself.  Its after a few days you stay at 67-68 then your sticks are super dry and wait longer or your hydrometer needs to be re-calibrated.

Besides the intro as mentioned, chuck the glass tops they are  problematic long term. You can make them work but with the change in seasons you'll have issues.

The first picture showing the gap between the Spanish cedar inner lining and the outer box isn't much of an issue since the inner lining is what is going to maintain your seal.  But in the second picture, that separation in the corner is...well I'd call it massive for a humidor.  And on top of that, glass top humidors tend to have poor seals with the glass panel in general.  I'd see if I could get a refund if possible.

Thank you all for the advice. I just started this so I bought a 30$ humidor to start and I read a good reviews on it. I only wiped it a few times and seasoned it for 48-72 hours. I'll take everything out and redo the process this time leaving a soaked sponge on a lid instead of a shot glass of water. I'll go introduce my self so you all can judge shortly!

For the gaps until I can get a new humi, can I use wood glue or super glue without hurting my cigars?

Thanks!

I wouldn't use the humidor period.  Just place your current smokes in a clean Tupperware until you can get a decent humidor.

Good advice, Tupperware is something a lot of guys here use for overflow. Plus if you stay around long you'll need something bigger than whatever you buy.