• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Going fly fishing tommorrow

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
Well, growing up in the south, I've fished more times than I can count in my grandfather's private stocked pond. I can bait a hook, cast, and catch some fish. Didn't realize til today how big of a difference there is between fly fishing, and fishin'. Wish me luck in catching the fishies!

note to self: bring lots of smokes!

KB

OOOoooh, trust me- once you go fly fishing you'll start to wonder what the #$^*@ you were ever doing prior...

Enjoy- fly fishing is an art - it can take time but stick with it, man... it's WORTH it!

Fishing is a disease...Flyfishing is the terminal phase.

I'll be spending a couple days chasing trout in the Catskills next month. In the meantime, I'm throwing Deceivers at the beach snook down here in Venice.

Have fun with the long rod, and remember "10 o'clock, 2 o'clock."

i have been bass fishing for a good part of my life..never fly fishing though...now KB got me wondering...good luck KB...hope you land a bunch!

Fishing is just about my favorite thing in the world to do. Nothing like a day on the lake with some good smokes. :)

Haven't been fly fishing (always seemed like a lot of work. lol), but everyone I know that does it swears it's the only way to fish.

So, give 'em hell KB and let us know what you think of it! :thumbs:

once I tried fly fishing, I got rid of my casting rods!! the only thing I do now is fly fishing and dip netting (subsitance fishing with a big net- best way to fill a freezer!)

Careful KB... once you catch the disease, there is no cure!

i had a hell of a good time. Took three churchills with me, and smoked and fished. Caught a couple, didn't keep them though, and just relaxed. Although, I did begin to see how expensive this sport really is, and since I've got a pretty expensive hobby right now (bet ya can't figure out what it is) I think I might have to ease into it. But it was awesome!

Fishin with a fine cigar, what else could be better? I fish for Bass, Muskellenge, Walleye, or whatever hits my line. I never fly fished, but have flown in fishin, in a plane on pontoons, at a log cabin, in the middle of no-where. Odd so many people in this form are fisherman ( fisher-people to be politically correct ) .

FISH-ON!

KayakinBoy said:
i had a hell of a good time. Took three churchills with me, and smoked and fished. Caught a couple, didn't keep them though, and just relaxed. Although, I did begin to see how expensive this sport really is, and since I've got a pretty expensive hobby right now (bet ya can't figure out what it is) I think I might have to ease into it. But it was awesome!
[snapback]185600[/snapback]​
glad to hear you had a good time...no go land an 8lb. largemouth on a spinning rod!

Rob_k said:
glad to hear you had a good time...no go land an 8lb. largemouth on a spinning rod!
[snapback]185605[/snapback]​

Hmmm.. dare we compare... nope!
Well, maybe just one...
:p
nothing like catching a silver salmon on a fly rod... or *gasp* STEELHEAD... WOOHOO!! life altering event...

There is no better place than sitting hip high in a river throwing a fly upstream with a good smoke. Life doesn't get much better. Glad you had a good time, and you even caught fish to boot ......... what a BONUS!

castaway is right on all accounts, remeber 10 & 2 and definately avoid orvis if you want to save some money. you may want to try-
FlyFisherman.com - an great resource for all fly fisherman
Bass Pro not just for bass fishing -fly fishing section with good prices

also if you have the time and patience you should try learning to tie your own flies, I used to do that a lot in my youth and got pretty good at making several nymphs, wooly worms, wooly buggers, and frogs for pond bass fishing.
great tips and instructions on tying flies
good prices on flies and tying accessories
It not only saved me a few dollars learning to tie flies but I think it gave me a greater appreciation and more pride to catch a fish with something that I made, I even used to tie wooly worms and wooly bugger flies during the fall and winter months for a couple of tackle shops in exchange for leaders, line, and other accessories.

I also had a friend who was retired help me make my own graphite fly rod 18 years ago and it is still my favorite rod to fly fish with. If you have the patience I recommend you try building your own road and there is lots of helpful information about this on the internet. Here's a site I found that has everything you need to know about rod building and pretty decent prices-
everything you need and need to know for fly rod construction
Now I only get to go about 5 or 6 times a year up to a peaceful little stream a few hours away up in the mountains that is full of native brookies which isn't stocked or fished by very many people because it is such a long hike up the side of a mountian just to get to the mouth of the creek and be able to fish a few miles of virgin stream. To me life just doesn't get any better than that. The main thing to remember is to have fun and learn from your mistakes and enjoy the great outdoors.

you guys aren't helping me stay to one hobby! :sign:

All kidding aside, thanks for the great links and helpful info! :love: