• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Golf GPS or Laser Range Finder?

grateful1

Oh My!
Please let me know what you think is better and why!

edit - (oops...specific to golf)

Laser range finder imo. If you like to shoot or hunt its indispensible. As for the GPS if you can't use a map maybe you should just stay inside. J/K

I'm also biased because I want LRF.

John

I love the courses that have the GPS in the carts. That thing is excellent. I have never used the laser range finder so I can't say how it works.

I would say LRF, GPS is still plus or minus a few yards so in my opinion you might as well pace things off from sprinkler heads. I've never personally used SkyCaddie, but would be a little hesitant to complete trust it. Having done no research on the topic I would be concerned as to where the waypoint are marked. If they just drop it on the middle of the green then you still have to go with the +/- for color of flag. With LRF, you should be able to get a somewhat accurate reading and to me the idea of point and shoot reading seems a lot easier than GPS unit.

That being said, hire a caddie, golfed one round with one at #2 and even though the course chewed me up he was amazing.

Brandon

LRF. Point & shoot plus no need for annual subscription fees or wondering if the course you're going to is part of the system.

LRF or dead sight reckoning/yardage markers? - DSR. This is golf! That's half the challenge!!!

I have an iGolf Gary, and I couldn't be happier. No need to aim and click at every flag, just look on my display and it shows front, middle, and back yardages. It's accurate to 2-3 yds, which even if you're a tour pro (which I'm not even close to) is more than accurate enough. I've used LRF in the past and it doesn't even compare IMO.

Not sure how the more expensive SkyCaddie works, but with iGolf you get a couple free course downloads with the purchase, and then each additional course is 5 or 10 bucks. Once you have a course, you don't ever have to pay again to renew it. Like I said, I couldn't be happier.

edit:spelling because I are drunk :D

I love the courses that have the GPS in the carts. That thing is excellent. I have never used the laser range finder so I can't say how it works.

Yeah the first time I played down here and got in the cart I was shocked to see the GPS. I loved it.

Laser range finder imo. If you like to shoot or hunt its indispensible. As for the GPS if you can't use a map maybe you should just stay inside. J/K

I'm also biased because I want LRF.

John

I hunt so I use the LRF for this mainly. I also take it to golf courses that I am not familiar with and it works well also.

LFR IMO as well.

If you are using it specifically for golf I'd go with the LFR made specifically for golf as the generic LFR has a hard time picking up the flag stick.