• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Good Canadian whisky?

Black Plague

Reaction score
Honestly, I know less about this branch of the whisk(e)y than any other, and even ABV hasn't reviewed them much. Only stuff I've ever drank from the Great White North has been Crown Royal (decent) and Crown Royal Special Reserve (good for a milder whisky, but only worth the price when I'm getting it tax-free from a military PX). Don't know about the Special Reserve, but I've heard that regular Crown only has about 20% whisky in it with the rest being neutral spirit filler.

So what are the "straight" Canadian whiskies like and what are some of the better, tastier brands out there?

Whom?

Honestly, I know less about this branch of the whisk(e)y than any other, and even ABV hasn't reviewed them much.

I don't know of any "straight" Canadian Whiskey in the sense you are talking about. There might very well be some but I haven't heard of them. Now there are Canadian single malts but they aren't anything like the rye based Canadian whiskies like Windsor, Northern Light, Crown Royal et al.

Well growing up in N. New England, I know a bit about bad Canadian whiskey. CC, VO, and LTD, aka Long Term Disability. Can't recommend any of them...anymore.

Doc.

...and LTD, aka Long Term Disability. Can't recommend any of them...anymore.

Doc.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sounds better than drinking reagent-grade, non-denatured ethanol though. Or maybe not. ???

Wilkey

Seagrams 7 is good stuff. Nothing fancy, no ageing just plain good to mix or drink on the rocks. If you want a good Canadian try Pendleton or McMasters both are sure to please.

If you can find it, there is a single malt called Glen Breton that is phenomenal.

I picked up a bottle of Forty Creek last night, purported to be better than Crown Royal and cheaper. Cracked the bottle last night to taste, much smoother than Crown. Will do a tasting this weekend and post or try to post a review.

If you like rye, Hircsh Rye is smooth and quite a treat for the modest price. I always have a bottle when I want something different.

I've heard Talimore Dew (sp) is good stuff.

Tullamore Dew is Irish. It's not bad, but strictly IMO it's no better than the other similarly-priced Irish whiskies, which is to say it isn't that good either.

Anybody try Wiser's Canadian whisky? My local shoppe sells Wiser's 18yr but not sure if it's any good, although one of the employees swears that it's better than C-R (and cheaper).

TampaSupremo

Anybody try Wiser's Canadian whisky? My local shoppe sells Wiser's 18yr but not sure if it's any good, although one of the employees swears that it's better than C-R (and cheaper).

TampaSupremo

wisers 18 and alberta springs...about the best canadian whiskey's out there.

disclaimer:i havnt done much serious drinking in 20 or 30 years :whistling:

derrek :)

Heres my take on Forty Creek. Not impressed, don't think I will buy it again. As I stated in my post above, I cracked the bottle on the way home and took a swig. Smooth yes but too smooth, kind of like taking a swig of the driest merlot that you can find without the fruitiness of wine. Although it is okay with coke or pepsi.