• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Goslings Black Seal Rum

dlow

Noob
Anyone else enjoy this? I picked some up over the weekend at the local B&M and was pleasantly surprised. It has a much heartier flavor and mouth feel when compared to other lighter rums in the same price range, almost "chewy" at times. It has a strong caramel taste with hints of coffee bean. I found it to be very good stuff and an excellent departure from my usual Knob Creek obsession. The best thing is that it was pretty inexpensive (only slightly more than the better known mass produced brands such as Captain Morgan). I imagine that people who prefer lighter rums won't like it much, but for everyone else, I'd recommend trying this if you're interested.

Here's the website: http://www.goslingsrum.com/

Gosling's Black Seal is a pretty good rum. Now wait 'til you try the Gosling's Old Rum. I put it up there with Ron Zacapa 23 and Vizcaya VXOP. Too bad it costs so much more.

I'll agree that anything is better than Craptain Morgan. If you want dark rum then Myers is a good one to that is easy to find.

Since my wife loves Dark & Stormies it's pretty much our staple dark rum. Occassionally, I'll splurge on the Zacapa but I always have Goslings stocked. Good stuff and, yes, a great price.

I haven't had it was ginger beer...but a good thick, dark rum like Gosling (or Cruzan Black Strap or Meyer's) is really nice and refreshing with some ginger ale and a nice squeeze of lime. :)

is Ginger beer hard to make?

Nah, piece of cake and only takes a couple of days (a little longer if you plan to use ginger plant, but I think it's just as good with ginger root)

1-4 ounces ginger (ground, crushed, smashed, rasped or otherwise destroyed)...I opt for 4 and sometimes more simply because I like a nice strong ginger burn to mine.
1.5 ounces cream of tartar
1 pound brown sugar
juice of 2 lemons
4 quarts warm water (definitely not over 100 degrees or your end product will stink to high heaven...trust me on this)
2 teaspoons yeast

Mix together in a sterile container and let sit for a few minutes, then pour into sterile bottles. I like to use the glass bottles from 360 vodka as they have that nice clasp on the top and 750ml seems to me like a good size for single servings :p You could just as easily use beer bottles or 2 liter plastic bottles.

I usually let it sit 24 hours very loosely capped, then clasp tight and let it sit several more days to a week at relatively cool temperatures before shoving them into the fridge.

The 2 liter bottles are good for your first few batches to get a feel for timing as you can feel them to see when the pressure is getting too high. When the 2 liter bottles have gotten pretty firm, it's time to shove them in your chill chest.

Too long and too warm and they'll explode. :D

Shake gently as you'll get sediment. You could filter but I don't care enough to do it.

A dark and stormy in a collins with a slice of lemon floating on top...

Goslings is actually pretty good, and I have enjoyed it in the past, but there are so many other rums out there that I enjoy more, so that it is rare I come back to Goslings. Never buy it these days, but I enjoy it on occassion at a friend's place. Try the Ron Zacapa Centenario and Pyrat if you get the whim or the chance.