• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

GPS/Fishfinder

fourthrail

Selling my vette because I just bought a nice older boat. Figured I was the only one enjoying the car ... the family will get a whole summer of enjoyment out of the boat ... and while I can afford both, I couldn't justify it in my mind having both.

Anyway ... the previous boat owner gave me a mickey mouse gps/fishfinder with the boat, and as I'm planning a bit of fishing ... wanted to get some opinions from people who fish.

I'm looking for something that does the job, w/o breaking the bank.

Thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?

C...

"Breaking the bank" is a relative term.

My only experiences are with Lowrance products. I've been very happy with them. I've purchased from both ends of their line and in the middle. It's all a matter of figuring out what capabilities you need/want.

I've had Garmin products on all of my boats, with no issues. Right now i have one of the older 500 series and love it. My buddy got one of the Humminbirds with the side view sonar, which is great for seeing underwater structures that could possibly be holding fish. He has no complaints with that either.

It really depends on what you really want to use it for. If you're mainly going to be in rivers and lakes just using it to look for bottom structure and not relying on gps to get yourself home, I'd say any of the cheaper lowrance or humminbird units would be fine. $200-$300 or less if you get a sale or older stock. But if you're going offshore and are relying on gps for navigation I'd recommend one of the higher end units that have a bigger and more detailed screen. Depending on how big could be anywhere from $500 to $5000.

Like lilBastage said, its all bout the features you want and how much you want to spend.

FEATURES FEATURES FEATURES! :laugh:

I just replaced my depthfinder this summer, and went with the Humminbird 596c. Amazing little unit - while it does not have GPS (I have a dedicated GPS unit), other models in the line do. And the screen is amazing nice - clear, bright and easy readable in any bring sunny light - even direct. Something like 640x640px resolution. Reads depths down to 1500ft (yes, I've seen it read that deep, accurate as told my my paper charts) and works great at cruise speed (28mph for my little boat). Hell, I even get to see my anchor splash down on the bottom as well as my jig in action - pretty cool to know that my jig hook is at the depth I need it.

And ... best of all... it finds FISH!

I personally do not buy into spend less to save a few bucks... even for a simple depthfinder. I view electronics on my boat as a safety item, and I want the best, newest technology. Of course I'm running offshore in Alaska, to the tune of 30-40 miles out. Sometimes the weather gets crappy and I want to know I have top stuff showing me what I need to know, and not worry about Chinese knockoff brand XYZ conking out on me. The depthfinder I replaced was only 5 years old, and the difference between that one (Garmin 240) and my new one is simply amazing. Using it in the same area I always fish, I now see stuff that I never did on the bottom, and some old mysterys are now solved. And with the area I run, with all the quick changing depths, rocks and so on... I was more than happy to spend a little more. But, I didn't go the $2000 route either. I do plan on adding a higher end, aftermarket transducer to my unit once I make a few more 'additions' to my boat.

Just make sure you figure out what you need it to do, and what you want it to do. Any of the brand names mentioned here will accomplish what you want. You just need to compare the features you want with the price you need, and go from them. If you can, actually see the unit before you buy - something as basic as the screen may make you buy something other than what you were originally looking at. I was going to replace my Garmin with another one until I saw the screen on the Humminbird I bought. Feature were veryclose, price was very close, but the screen was not. They have one comparable NOW, but that did me no good when I had to replace mine.

I'm looking more middle of the road ... not going offshore, but certainly plan to do a lot of fishing.
Would like an all-in-one with GPS, depth, fishfinder ...

Will look at some of these ...

Thanx...

Settled for a Lowrance 5". Great sale and $100 rebate.

I'm an IT guy, so I looked into building this with software & components ... waaay to pricy.
Anyone try this?