• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Grandfather's cliche's

Wolfie

Alien
I learned a couple of hours ago that my grandfather died this past weekend. It wasn't a surprise, as he's been fighting cancer for some time. I'm not close to my family but this man got to me, in a good way. I do feel guilty that I didn't collect the cash to go see him when I knew he was getting worse but I thought I could at least take a moment to share some of his words that have stuck with me over the years while I smoke a Dark Sumatra.

About respect:

Don't make things too easy for people. Don't give away your respect. People must learn the value of these things.

Your mother doesn't always make sense, but she was the oldest of 13...she must have learned something from all that, yeah? Gotta be worth something.

Everybody deserves to be listened to, even if they don't have anything useful to say.

Everybody says or does something stupid at some point.

About life and people:

Don't write anything down. Don't tell anybody anything...keep in all in your head. That way, it's harder to replace you!

I'm over 80 years old. The doctor isn't half that. He may know more about medicine but I know more about life.

A lot of things in life are an acquired taste. Now eat your tempeh, it's good for you.

Not everything is good for your body...but you have to keep your spirit healthy, too. Moderation.

Some people like games so much as a child, they end up playing games all their lives.

You have to pay your dues and put in your time. If it comes easy, where's the value in that?

The most valuable freebies are the ones that cost you...or that you don't get credit for
(said to me when I mentioning a professor had asked me privately if I was interested in auditing an advanced course off the record, but which meant an extra 9 hours a week. I did do it, and it was the most miserable and exhausting and rewarding academic year I ever had)

It's the nature of our species to try to make things better, easier, faster. Remember, there's always a tradeoff, though.

About rules:

Rules aren't a measure of right and wrong...just what somebody thinks is the way things should work.

One thing I learned as an electrician in the army...There are lots of ways to make things work. Only one of them is 'by the book'. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have.

Breaking the rules...you might be considered innovative. You might equally be considered a cheat. So, when you break them, think hard...and make sure you prove you were right! *wink*

R.I.P. to your grandpa. It's a good thing to get out all the things you remember he said. They will definitely stick with you for life and now you've added a little something to ours.

My condolences, and I'll dedicate the rest of my cigar tonight (already lit and burning beautifully) to his memory.

-gordon

Those who are remembered are never truly gone.

Sorry to hear for your loss. But Ray is correct, with nuggets like those to remember and pass along, that man will never be gone. I lost my last grandparent two years ago, but there is hardly a day that goes by that I don't think of one of them and how they impacted my life. My paternal grandfather that was the last to leave us, imparted this gem on me in our last email we exchanged:

In youth one should work diligently in the attainment of useful knowledge - as an adult apply that knowledge to the respective duties we owe to God, our Country, our family,our neighbor and ourselves, so that in age we may consequently enjoy the happy reflection of a well spent life and die in the hope of a glorious immortality

I've never bothered to look up to see whose words those were or whether they were his, that isn't the important thing. What's important is that they came from him. It sounds like you had one of the good ones Wolfie, I'm happy for you.

Sounds like he was a very wise man. Your task now is to pass his wisdom on to your children and grandchildren.

I am sorry for your loss. Grandparents are truly a gift in the wisdom and life experiences they share with us. I am very fortunate to still have my father parents still with us even though both are in their mid-80's and starting to slow down a lot.

I miss my mother's parents all the time and think a lot about the lives they lead and the people they were, what examples they were.

Those pieces of wisdom your grandfather left with you are priceless, thank you for sharing them with us and pass them along to those that will follow you.

I'm sorry for your loss. Both of my grandpa's have passed but I'm lucky to have both my grandma's still. One thing I remember my Pa (mom's dad) saying when we get a little bump or scratch was "It's to far from your heart to kill you." He was a tough old man that ran his own HVAC business and a church into his 70's. I do miss him dearly.

My condolences; thanks for posting the quotes...he sounds a lot like my father (rest his soul). Reading them brought back a lot of pleasant memories. Funny thing about my father; the older I got the smarter he got.

Thank you for your kind words. He was a good man with a dry, dark sense of humor I really appreciated. I'll miss him but he lived a full life. I hope I can say the same when I'm in my 80's. Heck, I hope I make it to my 80's!

I'm sorry about your loss, I lost my mother to cancer in '03. Your grandpa sounded like a wise man and you may have picked up just a bit of his humor. Your Unibomber post from 9/4 STILL cracks me up!! :laugh:

Wolfie,

Nice tribute to your Grandfather. A lot of wisdom in his words.

I'm sorry about your loss. It's valuable knowledge like that, that I hope to pass along to my nephew (and maybe my own children if I ever have any) over the years.

Sorry for the loss of your grandfather, Anthony. As I was reading it, I could imagine scenarios of a tough, old guy talking to me, yet with softness in his voice. I never got to meet any of my 2 grandpa's as they both passed before I was born.

Great words, even greater man!

Dave

It's tough loosing a grandfather. Mine always use to say, "If you're going to commit a crime, do it alone. You ain't going to rat yourself out." With an Italian accent, of course.

Doc.

Very nice tribute. I never got to meet either of my grandfathers, I'm glad that you have memories that you will be able to keep for the rest of your life. My condolences.

Sorry to hear this news. My grandfather and me were inseparable. He taught me many things which included how to pee on bushes outside and how to use a pellet gun ( which I later used to hold my sister hostage when she was left to babysit me when the parents went out). RIP