• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Grilling Season?

insight

Making friends everywhere!
I know we have some avid grillers/smokers/barbecuers on the board so lets have them recipes! It is finally getting warm enough out here to start manning the grill again and I am looking forward to it. I will post some of my own when I am not working like a slave :blush:

Grilled Shrimp Herradura Anejo

Take 3 lbs. large shrimp, shelled and deveined

Marinate them overnight (4 hours minimum) in:

4 fl. oz. of Herradura Anejo tequila
Juice of 4 large limes
Small bunch of chopped cilantro (or parsley)
1 fl. oz. of olive oil
Zest from two oranges or tangerines
1-2 crushed dried habaneros chilis
Heaping spoonful of brown sugar or honey

After marinating the shrimp, skewer with onions and cloves of garlic,chunks of oranges, limes and other citrus.

Barbeque quickly on hot grill (until shrimp turn pink and curl slightly)

I know we have some avid grillers/smokers/barbecuers on the board so lets have them recipes! It is finally getting warm enough out here to start manning the grill again and I am looking forward to it. I will post some of my own when I am not working like a slave :blush:

you actually STOP grilling? I'll have to get a pic of me, manning the grill in -20 weather in shorts and slippers. it's 365 days a year for me!

Special Chicken!.....On the smoker

Take a large (5-6 pound) chicken and clean it all out.

Cook 1/2 pound of sweet Italian sausage and mix with one box of stove top stuffing made to the box directions. Mix the sausage and stuffing together. Make into a ball roughly 3/4 of the size of the chicken cavity.

Take a nice smoked ham steak and cut in half and wrap the sausage/stuffing ball with it and shove it up the chicken's ahhhh.....opening.

Take the remainder of the ham steak, cut in two peices and slide them under the chicken skin over the breasts.

Wrap in foil and cook on the hickory smoker for 2 hours and then unwrap and cook for another hour.

You will taste ham in the chicken, chicken in the ham, sausage in the ham, etc. etc.

Serves 6

I don't really measure when I cook, so these amounts are guesstimates.

Carne asada

2 lbs flank steak
6 jalapenos
5 garlic cloves
Large bunch of fresh cilantro
Salt and Pepper
2 limes
1 orange
4 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

Pulse the garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a food processor until they form a paste. Put in a large ziplock with the juice from the limes and orange, vinegar, and olive oil. Shake well to mix and add the beef. Marinate for at least an hour, but around 6 hours is ideal. If you marinate it too long the acid will break down the meat too much, so don't go over 7-8 hours.

Heat a grill up really hot, and grill it until medium rare.

After letting the meat rest for ~10 minutes, make sure to slice it across the grain.

There are a million ways to eat this, but my favorite is on some fresh, homemade tortillas with fresh pico de gallo, and cotija cheese.

you actually STOP grilling? I'll have to get a pic of me, manning the grill in -20 weather in shorts and slippers. it's 365 days a year for me!

To be honest, no :) I have grilled at least once or twice a week since last June.

Chicken fajitas:
1 orange, juiced
2 limes, juiced
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
2 chipotle chili's in adobe sauce
3 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl (you can puree if you don't like it rustic), otherwise pour the marinade into a large ziploc bag, and add 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Shake well to coat, and let marinade for 2-3 hours (any longer and the meat will turn rancid because of the acid). Remove the chicken breasts and grill. Slice and serve with your favorite fajita/taco fixins.

My favorite BarBQue sauce. I got it from Boy Meets Grill and have used it ever since. It's very tasty on beef and pork. My favorite is to put it on ribeyes, but it goes well with chops as well.

1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 cups bourbon, plus 2 tablespoons
3 cups canned plum tomatoes and their juices, pureed
2 cups water
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the butter and oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 cups bourbon and cook until completely reduced. Add the tomatoes and water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, excluding the salt, pepper, and steaks, and simmer for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool slightly. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of bourbon.

Chicken Kabobs on the grill

1 chopped onion
1 cup honey
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tbsp chili powder
1/3 cup Tabasco sauce
1 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
the juice from 1 lemon
2 fresh peppers

Mix the ingredients in the blender for 30-50 seconds, or until well blended. Marinate the shish kabobs in the refrigerator for 6 or more hours.

Grill on a med heat for 15 to 20 min

x2. But I'm a little bit of a wus, and prefer not to grill when it's below zero. We also make it a rule to stay out of the hot tub mornings when it's well below zero. The vapor from the tub tends to freeze one's eyes shut otherwise.

A nice way to do prawns on the bbq is this: Make a garlic butter and coat the prawns, then skewer about 5 onto some soaked wood (so it doesn't burn as easy).

Then add lemon butter straight to the grill, and then toss the skewers on. Balances out perfectly, the sweet and savoury of garlic and lemon butter.

OH!

And black truffle infused hamburgers!!

Finely chop 1 or 2 black truffles, add to some top quality mince, shape the burgers and leave to set for the day or overnight.

On a flat plate, pour on enough good quality olive oil to have it shimmering, then place the burgers down. Cook for about 2-3 mins each side at most. Remember, the oil is shimmering hot, so not much cooking is required. No need for any other seasoning on the burgers. DO NOT add salt before cooking, this will dry the burger. Add salt or pepper afterwards to taste.

Serve with some nice rolls. Add some watercress tossed in either olive oil, or walnut oil with some lemon juice. Spread some goats curd on the top half of the burger to add that final flavour bomb.

Fancy, I know.. but it is one of the best hamburgers you will ever have. Simple and rich goodness.

Did "easy" ribs this weekend.

Then take 3 beers and a liter of cherry coke and dump it in a pot. (Vanilla coke works good also)
add two onions rough chopped
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
tablespoon of peppercorns
two table spoons of dark roast coffee beans (not ground)
salt - as much or as little as you like
dried basil, oregano and parsley, about a table spoon of each.
cap full of liquid smoke.

Bring to a boil.

Peal the shiny silvery skin off the underside of the ribs. I'm not sure of the proper name for that stuff.

Put ribs in pot, I had to cut the rack in half to get it to fit.

If the liquid doesn't cover, add more cherry coke.

return to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 mins.

remove from pot.

let cool a little and then sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder and brown sugar on ribs.

Place in 280 degree oven for about 45. min.

The adventurous can make a BBQ sauce out of the stuff left in the pot by straining and skimming the fat and boiling to reduce, then adding whatever you like.

Myself, I used Stubbs BBQ sauce.

Take ribs out of oven, baste with BBQ sauce and finish on the grill set on low to caramelize the Sauce, keep basting and turning for about 20 mins.

Turn carefully, prone to falling apart at this point.

Separate ribs and serve.

Super easy and you can do all but the grill work a day ahead.

When I do these a day ahead, I usually will sauce up the ribs and wrap it in foil prior to refrigeration. That way I can toss the foil wrapped ribs on a campfire, grill or whatever to the next day without a mess.

But the sugars don't caramelize well this way.

My BBQ Sauce:

Ketchup (organic preferable, don't want any high fructose corn syrup)
Molasses
Brown Sugar
Chili Powder
Chili Pepper Flakes
Paprika
Ground Mustard
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder or fresh (if fresh added to onion juice below in processor)
Cinnamon
Onion Juice (made in food processor from 1 large vidalia and then strained)
Worchester (sp?)
apple cider vinegar

No clue on measurements, just keep tasting it till I'm happy, or the crowd I'm looking to please says they want it more sweet (more brown sugar and molasses) or more spicy and vinegary (less brown sugar and molasses).

The recipe was inspired from America's Test Kitchen on PBS

Tri-Tip Maranade

1 Tri-Tip (Beef, Santa Maria Cut)
12 oz Tomato Sauce
1 can of Beer (amber works well)
Garlic
Basil
Oregano

Mix ingredients, place in meat and marinate up to 12 hours and grill..................like butter!

My personal favorite is THE SALT LICK Restaurant's Lauren's Habanero BBQ Sauce in Driftwood, Texas. Nice bit of ZIG with an excellent mix of flavors. :thumbs: DANG - I posted this in the wrong thread. My apologizes.

Since this got bumped... I think I have a few recipes on the way. I just need to remember to write shit down!

Apricot-Curry Shrimp and Scallop Skewers

1/2 c Olive Oil
1/2 c Apricot Preserve
2 tb Dijon Mustard
2 tb Curry Powder
2 tb Garlic, minced
2 tb Fresh Cilantro, chopped
4 ts Jalapeno chillis, minced and seeded
16 lg Shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
12 Sea Scallops
4 Bamboo skewers, soaked in water at least 30 mins

Combine the first seven ingredients in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and scallops, toss to coats. Cover and set bowl with Shrimp and scallops in fridge for 1/2 hr to 1 hr..tossing occasionally.

Skewer 4 shrimps and 3 scallops alternately on each skewer. Grill on medium heat until shrimp are cooked through and scallops are opaque. Brush frequently with marinade. Cook about 3-4mins each side. Bring extra marinade to simmer in small pan.

Serve on skewers with marinade seperate.

*** I have been cooking these for many years this way and they just rock. I usually double the recipe because there never seems to be enough of these..grab some extra shrimp and scallops. you'll need them for the crowd.

art

Just did one of my favorites today with the usual burgers, sausage, dogs.

Grilled Zucchini and Yellow Squash

quarter veggies
drizzle with olive oil
Season with:
season salt
pepper
thyme

Grill over indirect heat till they are just starting to get soft, then place over direct heat to just give that nice glaze and color. We prefer
them a little crunchy, but cook to texture preference. Warning, they will turn to mush if you don't watch it.

Andy

One of my favorites on the smoker is this variation of a roast. Take a about a 3-5 lb. pork tenderloin, a 3-5 lb. quality beef roast. Now slice each roast about 1/2 inch thick long ways while unrolling. You will have 1 large slice of meat from each roast. Place one of the sliced roasts flat, season with favorite spices, salt, pepper, cover with finely diced onions, garlic. Place second sliced roast on top of first add more seasoning. Now roll both roasts tightly and use either butcher string, or I sometimes use skewers to hold it together. You should have a roast that resembles a jelly roll. Place on smoker around 225 degrees for 5-6 hours or until the internal temp reaches 160. I use a water pan when smoking most meats except fish.