• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guinness Extra Stout - Great Recipe

I can drink Irish car bombs all night!! It's when I try to start walking is when I get into trouble. :p

Leebo8-9-8 said:
They can it now with this little plastic thing in there that really makes it creamy! Something about it puts more air into the glass when it's poured or something....
The plastic thing, or widget, is a nitrogen charge of some sort. Guinness is dispensed with nitrogen rather than carbon dioxide. This give it much smaller bubbles and produces the creamy head. Guinness should also not be served ICE cold, but at cellar temperature, More like 50 degrees. I hate it when a bar will serve Guinness in an ICED budwiser mug. Budwiser is only served iced to distiguish its taste from that of urine.

Also Guinness in the can is still a Stout. A stout is a really just an very high specific gravity dark ale, it is really called a stout porter. A porter is a dark ale.

Beer is subdivided into two catagories based on the yeast used in production. Lagers are a top fermenting yeast and Ale is a bottom fermenting yeast. The lagers usually require cooler temperatures to produce optimum results during brewing.

I guess I ranted on enough about beer.

Willie

Ok, I tried it again tonight. Same result. Ruined a beautiful mug of guinness :(

Filled the mug with Guinness, filled a shot glass half full of Baileys and half full of Jamesons and drpped the shotglass into the mug. It immediatley curdled like runny cottage cheese and rose to the surface. Blech...

maybe i will just give one a shot at a bar sometime.

wpeloqui said:
The plastic thing, or widget, is a nitrogen charge of some sort. Guinness is dispensed with nitrogen rather than carbon dioxide. This give it much smaller bubbles and produces the creamy head. Guinness should also not be served ICE cold, but at cellar temperature, More like 50 degrees. I hate it when a bar will serve Guinness in an ICED budwiser mug. Budwiser is only served iced to distiguish its taste from that of urine.

Also Guinness in the can is still a Stout. A stout is a really just an very high specific gravity dark ale, it is really called a stout porter. A porter is a dark ale.

Beer is subdivided into two catagories based on the yeast used in production. Lagers are a top fermenting yeast and Ale is a bottom fermenting yeast. The lagers usually require cooler temperatures to produce optimum results during brewing.

I guess I ranted on enough about beer.

Willie
Agree with everything except the bit about gravity. Classic Stouts are typically in the 1.038 - 1.048 range, which is not all that high. The Foreign Stout sub-style is somewhat higher at 1.052 - 1.072.

Stout used to be called stout porter but these days stout has evolved into its own style distinct from porters. In my mind (but this is the subject of some controversy) one of the biggest differences is that stout uses roasted barley in the grain bill and porter doesn't.

exactly, FT. it's the roasted barley that gives it it's
dark color and burnt wood/coffe flavor.
the specific gravity is based on the percentage
of alcohol, i.e, higher specific gravity means higher
alcohol content due to alcohol being more dense than
water. i've had and brewed stouts ranging from 5.6%
to 10+(quite a range) it all depends on the amount of
sugar available and how agressive the yeast are.
a honey brown ale i once brewed ended at about 8%
(don' remember the S.G.)because i added the honey
in secondary fermentation when the yeast were starting
to starve for sugar and go dormant. then all of a sudden
BAM!! a whole pound of almost pure sucrose! talk about
a "wobbler"!

l8er

todd

Love guiness draught
Often I drink black and tans (bass ale floated on top)
My wife will make black and cider (woodchuck floated on top)

Have to try the carbomb idea.

LuckyDawg said:
the specific gravity is based on the percentage
of alcohol, i.e, higher specific gravity means higher
alcohol content due to alcohol being more dense than
water.
Not quite. Alcohol is less dense than water. What you're measuring with specific gravity is sugar. Sugar is what the yeast ferments into alcohol so you can think of SG as potential alcohol. However the yeast don't have perfect attenuation - 70-80 % is normal for beer yeast. A substantial portion of the sugars are complex sugars like malto-triose that the yeast may or may not (depending on strain) be able to ferment. So some of the sugar is left behind. The amount of alcohol is determined from the difference between original gravity (before fermentation) and the final gravity (after fermentation). I can't find the exact formula right now but if I do I'll post it for you. Typical original gravities range from 1.040 to 1.065 and final gravities are from 1.008 to 1.015. They can obviously go much higher than this in some styles of beer but those ranges are pretty common.

Edit: Found the formula for calculating ABV
Calculating the ABV
Say our brewer crafted a high-alcohol beer. The OG measured at 1.080, and the beer stopped fermentation with a FG measurement of 1.011. Simply subtract the FG from the OG and multiply by 131.

1.080 - 1.011 = 0.069 x 131 = 9.039%

So we've got a 9 percent alcohol by volume beer. Easy!

Here's the link.

so i had it wrong all this time? dammit.
oh well, add that to the list! thanks for wrinkling
my brain FT!

May the Beer Gods smite you down for the sacraligeous act of desecrating one of the finest things on Earth! ;)

Guinness should be served with one thing and one thing only - Good Friends.

BinDerSmokDat said:
I saw "Guinness recipe" and thought it was going to be an ingredient in a food recipe.
[snapback]10562[/snapback]​

I have a recipe for y'all... Beer pie (caution - this is exceptionally sweet, and addictive)

1 bottle Guiness extra stout (1 - 1/3 cup if using the Can - drink the remainder)
2/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Dash Salt
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 pck (24 oz) Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 pck (24 oz) Mini Marshmellows

Add Chips, Marshmellows, salt and vanilla in large mixing bowl.

Heat the Guiness and cream in seperate pans over medium heat (stir cream continuously to avoid burning) unti they begin to boil - remove from heat immediately.

Pour hot liquids into mixing bowl and blend until smooth.

Pour into graham or oreo pie crusts (make 2 pies) and chill in fridge for approx 6 hours (overnight is better).

Alternatively - I've taken to making tarts instead of full pies since it is so rich. Also goes very well when you fill the tarts only 2/3 full and finish will Cherry pie filling, chocolate cream or pudding.

Good adult desert and can be kid or Mormon friendly if you let the guiness actually boil out the alcohol.

Now ask about my 7 layer Liquored Jello Cups...........

Here's another Recipe....

Guiness Steak Marinade:

1 clove Garlic
1 Pearl Onion (or similar qty of red or white onion)
Pepper
Celery Salt
Worchestershire Sauce
Butter
Lee and Perrins Steak Sauce*
Guiness

Finely chope garlic and onion, fry in small skillet with 1 tsp butter. Add 2 shakes Celery Salt, 1 shake Pepper and 2 shakes Wor Sauce while frying. Mix in 2 -3 tbls Steak Sauce and 1/2 cup Guiness and remove from heat while stirring briskly.

Pour over steaks and seal (rubber container) and refridgerate until ready to cook. Best if allowed to marinate at least 5 hours (over night better) and will generally keep for 2-3 days if necessary.