• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gun Cost

Bucky

Lately I've been thinking about getting a gun for my house. I'm in college, and my dad is away on business a lot, and its just my mother and my grandmother. I worry about them, because if anything were to happen to them, they really wouldn't have a way to defend themselves. On that note, I was wondering if anyone here knows how much something like a 9mm or 45 cost. I really don't know anything about guns, so please, I'd take any advice. I would really want something that was reliable and I know would keep my mother safe.

I really don't know anything about guns,

When you point them at somebody, you have to be 100% committed to pulling the trigger if you need to. If you aren't, then a gun will not be much use.

With that being said, shotguns are the home defense weapon of choice.

Cost of a firearm is relative to your wants/needs. You can get a decent firearm for around $250 used or you can pay as much as you are willing to for a custom made firearm. The expense in owning a firearm is not so much in purchasing one, it is in the practice you will need. Range time runs about $7-10, ammo is not cheap but your best bet would be 9mm as it is still relatively inexpensive compared to a .40 or 45. If your looking for a gun that a female can use you may want to consider a revolver. These malfunction less off and are a little easier to learn on. They are also a little less expensive to purchase. Unless you have a lot of time for practice it is more likely your own gun will be used against you then you will be able to use it on an intruder. Do some research, go to a shooting range where you can rent one before purchasing one. Find out what your comfortable with and is easy for all of you to shoot.

Just me .02

If you don't know anything about guns you need to go to a range and take lessons or begin shooting. Shoot a bunch of different ones, then pick a few you like. keep shooting them, it's no good if the gun isnt a good fit or you don't like shooting it. For a beginning shooter, especially with home defence in mind, I'd look at a 12 gauge, probably your best choice, cheap, simple to use, fun to practice with, and durable.

You need to shoot before you bring a gun into your house, the last thing you want to do is be unprepared or second guessing yourself when it comes time to use it.

Please take a course first, also understand your local laws. MA has some restrictive codes, handguns maybe outlawed where you live. A handgun course will run $100.

As far as choice for a good weapon, I like handguns. Revolvers are great but no safety, semis take some time to learn. However all weapons require a little commitment. Also ask yourself if there are little ones running around, keeping a loaded firearm for quick access is asking for trouble. A good safe maybe part of the investment as well.

Good advice from everyone else too.

If you don't know anything about guns you need to go to a range and take lessons or begin shooting. Shoot a bunch of different ones, then pick a few you like. keep shooting them, it's no good if the gun isnt a good fit or you don't like shooting it. For a beginning shooter, especially with home defence in mind, I'd look at a 12 gauge, probably your best choice, cheap, simple to use, fun to practice with, and durable.

You need to shoot before you bring a gun into your house, the last thing you want to do is be unprepared or second guessing yourself when it comes time to use it.

Second this. I paid 800 for my Kimber 45 but the price is a relative to what you are looking for.

Ditto. Unlike a pistol, your aim does not have to be as accurate so anyone familiar with handling it can pretty much hit what they are shooting at.

Suggestion - Mossberg 500 12 gauge

I will echo the sentiments of some here and add a point which I don't think has been made.

Learn about guns first.....take a course.....call a local gun shop and see if they will teach you how to handle, etc. Owning guns requires an added level of responsibility.

A shotgun is very effectivefor home defense and can be obtained relatively cheap. It's tough to hide one where you may need it though.

Don't buy a pistol, buy a revolver. A pistol can have buttons and gadgets that can delay your (or your loved ones) ability to fire it. A single action revolver means you pull the hammer back and pull the trigger, a double action revolver means you simply pull the trigger (it will be a hard trigger pull). A revolver is idiot proof which is what you want at the time of need. Most handgun accidents occur due to the complexity of the buttons and gadgets I mentioned on a pistol, safeties, clip releases, slide locks, hammer blocks, etc. Very few "accidents" happen with revolvers due to their "point and shoot" simplicity.

A safe for the gun sounds wise but defeats the purpose of home defense unless of course you know the event is coming and can have your safe open and gun in hand. You will need to find a place where it can be out of reach of youngsters, private so that a guest will not come in contact with it, and you will have to make sure everyone who knows where it is also knows how to use it.

A revolver is a part of our history and feels good in your hand.

I will echo the sentiments of some here and add a point which I don't think has been made.

Learn about guns first.....take a course.....call a local gun shop and see if they will teach you how to handle, etc. Owning guns requires an added level of responsibility.

A shotgun is very for home defense and can be obtained relatively cheap. It's tough to hide one where you may need it though.

Don't buy a pistol, buy a revolver. A pistol can have buttons and gadgets that can delay your (or your loved ones) ability to fire it. A single action revolver means you pull the hammer back and pull the trigger, a double action revolver means you simply pull the trigger (it will be a hard trigger pull). A revolver is idiot proof which is what you want at the time of need. Plus very few "accidents" happen with revolvers due to this simplicity.

A revolver is a part of our history and feels good in your hand.

This was a point I was going to mention as well. Never can sell short the reliability of the simple mechanics of a revolver. Very faithful and steadfast, plus, if you need more shots than a revolver can dish out, you're doing something wrong. On that note, as others have stated, you need to first take a safety/training course and become well-versed (or at least, well-equipped) to handle a weapon.

If you ignore the advice of getting a revolver and want to opt for something else, a good, reliable piece is the Sig Sauer P239.

Another vote for a shotgun. The may not be able to sell it to you with a 15" barrel but you can fix that yourself.

I will have to disagree with most everything that has been said here. I disagree with the point that a gun is more likely to be used against the owner than against the intruder. Can you site any reputable statistics on this ? I disagree that having a loaded gun around your house is asking for trouble. A loaded gun in a safe is no more likely to shoot somone than a parked car with the brake applied is to start running people over at random.

I think the biggest mistake people make when buying a gun is purchasing one that they can afford instead of one that they can shoot well. I do agree that you should go to a range or go shooting with a knowledgeable friend. Having a gun that is easy for you to shoot and that you are comfortable with is very important.

I also disagree about a shotgun being the home protection weapon of choice. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, but if something goes bump in the night I'm way more likely to grab one of my hand guns than my shottie.

Shooting a hand gun is not easy. It's not like in the movies. It takes competent instruction, lots of practice and money to become reasonably good at it.. A 12 bore, Remington 870 pump, however, is easy to use and the sound of the action shucking a shell has a very distinctive sound that most criminals will recognize.

Doc.

Ditto. Unlike a pistol, your aim does not have to be as accurate so anyone familiar with handling it can pretty much hit what they are shooting at.

Suggestion - Mossberg 500 12 gauge

Yep, if you know nothing about guns, go with the Mossberg 500.

Actually, I';ve been shooting for years and own or have owned 9 mm, .357 mag, .357 sig, .40 and .45 along with various rifles and shotguns and my choice is the mossberg 500 12. You can't go wrong with buckshot.

If you want your mom or grandmother to be able to use it you may want to go to a 20 gauge or even a .410. Mossberg make a pretty easy to shoot .410 that should more than deter a would-be intruder. Lets face it, in the dark when you rack a pump they all pretty much sound the same. I think the .410 3 in. buck has like 3-6 pellets or something.

Shooting a hand gun is not easy. It's not like in the movies. It takes competent instruction, lots of practice and money to become reasonably good at it.. A 12 bore, Remington 870 pump, however, is easy to use and the sound of the action shucking a shell has a very distinctive sound that most criminals will recognize.

Doc.

Nice, simple, low cost gun. The 870 is very reliable.

I will have to disagree with most everything that has been said here. I disagree with the point that a gun is more likely to be used against the owner than against the intruder. Can you site any reputable statistics on this ? I disagree that having a loaded gun around your house is asking for trouble. A loaded gun in a safe is no more likely to shoot somone than a parked car with the brake applied is to start running people over at random.

I think the biggest mistake people make when buying a gun is purchasing one that they can afford instead of one that they can shoot well. I do agree that you should go to a range or go shooting with a knowledgeable friend. Having a gun that is easy for you to shoot and that you are comfortable with is very important.

I also disagree about a shotgun being the home protection weapon of choice. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, but if something goes bump in the night I'm way more likely to grab one of my hand guns than my shottie.

You beat me to it! And you're right. The "more likely to be used against you" is emotional scare BS propaganda from the gun grabbers.

As regards price versus usability, it seems to me that your mother and sister need to agree to having a gun in the house, must assist with the selection, must agree to learning how to use it and must also commit to practicing with it. That's a lot of 'musts.'

In my personal experience, females that are new to handguns do prefer wheelguns for their simplicity and, as my mother used to point out, they don't spit casings at you. (Even though the ejected cases were actually being flipped to her right and not 'at' her, she, and most other females that were inexperienced, found it rather disconcerting and distracting; having any fear at all is a major negative.)

Getting a license in Massachusetts can be rather difficult, depending on your town of residence, since it's a "may issue" not a "shall issue" state. But you are required to take a state police-certified gun safety course as a pre-requisite to any license. If the gun's for your mother and sister, I'd suggest that they may want to get licenses. And you may want to check out www.HandGunLaw.us for relevant information. Be sure to check out the "Women's Issues" section (left side of the page in the navigation bar) which has links to relevant sites relating to, you guessed it, Women's Issues [with guns].

Regardless, good luck with it. And stay safe.

I couldn't say whether the Remington or Mossberg is the better way to go, but I strongly believe the shotgun is a better option than a revolver or semi-automatic pistol for someone who doesn't know anything about guns. And I agree with nhcigarfan's comments about the 20 or even the .410 gauge if it's for the ladies of the house.

because if anything were to happen to them, they really wouldn't have a way to defend themselves.

Sounds to me as if you are talking about a weapon for your mom & grandmother to use, true? If that is the case you can pretty much forget about a 45. Way too big.

I'll assume that your family already takes other precautions to keep safe such as good locks on the doors and windows, outdoor lighting, etc.

My first choice for an in-home weapon for women is a pump-action 20 guage shotgun. Given the proper load you won't find a more efficient and economical way to clear a room.

If you want to go the handgun route consider a "Lady Smith" Smith & Wesson. Don't let the MSRP scare you - go for a niced used one. Since they are made just a short drive from you, I'll bet you can take the proper handling course from them as well. Good instruction for everyone in the house on how to handle either of these firearms is a must.

Also, seeing as Mass. and NY seem to follow simliar voting patterns :whistling: , I expect it will take a pretty big effort to purchase a handgun. A shotgun can be picked up from Wal-Mart or Dick's Sporting Goods. I bought my oldest daughter's first shotgun a Sports Authority. Whichever one you decide to purchase should be left to the judgment and comfort of the end-user.

Finally, probably the best home protection you can get is a good dog. They're free at you local shelter. Most burglars won't bother a house with a dog barking.

The combined sound of a barking dog with the that of a pump action shotgun racking one into the chamber just gives me a nice tingly feeling all over. :rolleyes:

I agree with the shotgun for home defense. I personally have 3 handguns, an AR15, and a shotgun and I practice with each. I still think I would be most comfortable with the shotgun. If ever using it, I also think it would penetrate through housing and such the least. That is something to think about as well. Always think of what is behind where you are shooting! God forbid there is a family in the house next to you. Take a course, get aquainted with firearms in general, and THEN choose what is right to defend your family with. just my personal .02 though!

Don

Contrary to popualr belief, the .410 is an expert's gun, not a beginner's gun. You'll only piss off the intruder. They don't call it an idiot stick for nothing.

Doc.