• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guns

I have an LCP Custom .380 and I hate it. I feel like if I was being robbed and I had it in my pocket that I would have a better survival rate if I hit them with the gun rather than shot at them. I just feel bad selling it to someone since I know its crap so it just stays in the safe.
Yeah, the the trigger is atrocious. I’ve seen upgrade kits for like $30-$50 that take 3lbs off the pull. But yeah. It’s terrible snappy and I lost the extractor before I emptied my first box of ammo. Ruger sent a new one but I was not impressed. Still has feed issues with my defense rounds from time to time. It’s kind of a ‘maybe if I pull out a gun they’ll run away before I have to shoot them’ type of security lol.

I have a Ruger P95, 9mm. Getting serious about upgrading the sights to tritium. Any thoughts or suggestions. Why upgrade, guys, I'm 77, Id like to at least hit the tree nearby.

I have a Ruger P95, 9mm. Getting serious about upgrading the sights to tritium. Any thoughts or suggestions. Why upgrade, guys, I'm 77, Id like to at least hit the tree nearby.

Pug, purely my opinion, but I think you're better off getting a good and bright flashlight. Tritium inserts are for low light. If it's too dark to see your sights, it may be too dark to see your target. Gotta be able to properly ID what you're thinking about shooting.

You might want to think about mounting a laser instead of a flashlight.

Pug, purely my opinion, but I think you're better off getting a good and bright flashlight. Tritium inserts are for low light. If it's too dark to see your sights, it may be too dark to see your target. Gotta be able to properly ID what you're thinking about shooting.
I have to agree. The only time I’ve intentionally gone out of my way and bought tritium sights was for my 12 gauge that I use for early morning turkey hunting because I found it helps me get in target faster and the green/red combo are very juxtapose to the spring Forrest.

As Scap mentioned, tritium sights don’t make finding a target easier. As for lasers, if you’re in a pitch black room, a red dot on a man’s chest vs a red dot on on the sofa look exactly the same. I’m a fan of rail mounted flashlights if the purpose of the gun is home defense. Plus a flashlight to the eyes in a pitch black room can be very disorienting and give you a half second head start that could save your life. Just my opinion.

I don't remember the P95 having rails. That being said, I'm not a big fan of rails on pistols. I'd rather have the flashlight in one hand and the pistol in the other, but that's me.

Reactions: AVB
Flash light versus night sights is like debating which caliber is best, you're never going to get a concensus.

Couple of random thoughts on the topic.

Holster options can be limiting factor if you are looking kydex/leather for a rail mounted light and want to carry it.

Rail mounted lights mean you need to have your gun out and are pointing your firearm in the general direction of whatever you are trying to illuminate. Which can be less than ideal investigating "bumps in the night"

Having shot some low-light classes and events, from a purely shooting/reloading standpoint, a rail mounted light is a huge benefit.

Put a box of ammo through it, and took it on a hike today. Going to put a couple more boxes through it tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation, Ray, love it so far!

IMG_20200711_223508.jpg

Been checking out knife scales on ebay, think I'll make some new grips for it. Being a lefty, I never realized how nice the ambidextrous safety is!

Put a box of ammo through it, and took it on a hike today. Going to put a couple more boxes through it tomorrow. Thanks for the recommendation, Ray, love it so far!

View attachment 32188

Been checking out knife scales on ebay, think I'll make some new grips for it. Being a lefty, I never realized how nice the ambidextrous safety is!
I think I've seen that before. Check out some pearce finger grips For 10 bucks you might like them. I love mine You can see them in the pic I posted before. You definitely want to take the old grips off and see how the magwell is attached. Smith & Alexander is the best replacement for the RIA setup but they are $80-90 You can get the curved or flat and thin grip or standard grip ones.

Last edited:
I think I've seen that before. Check out some pearce finger grips For 10 bucks you might like them. I love mine You can see them in the pic I posted before. You definitely want to take the old grips off and see how the magwell is attached. Smith & Alexander is the best replacement for the RIA setup but they are $80-90 You can get the curved or flat and thin grip or standard grip ones.
I don't care for finger grips, my fingers never seem to fit right. I don't hate the grips on it, just want to mess around with trying to make some more than anything.

Any of you guys use Shooters Lube? I've always just used Hoppes, but everyone seems to love Shooters Lube so was thinking about trying it out.

Any of you guys use Shooters Lube? I've always just used Hoppes, but everyone seems to love Shooters Lube so was thinking about trying it out.

Hoppes for cleaning heavy fouled barrels and then CLP for storage and protection.

For actual lubrication I use PennzOil Platinum synthetic, 5w30. Picked up a small dropper bottle and am happy with it.

For reference I'm shooting mostly polymer framed pistols, ARs and modern shotguns

In the past there were some 1911's that did favor certain ammo over others and some that don't seem to care at all. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with cost or perceived quality either. I've been packing a 1911 for 45 years and I had one Colt that certainly had problems with Winchester ammo. Once I figured that out it worked fine until the day I sold it. I will say that no 1911 I've bought in the past decade has had any ammo problems. I'm not saying that steel Tula wouldn't do it but I don't shoot that. I really think that quality control all the way down to the low range of $5-600 has improved that there will be less and less chance of problems because of ammo failure to feed. One tip is not to keep all your mags loaded all the time. Rotate the one you carry or keep by the bed as a spring that is always compressed will be weaker then one that is newly compressed - that is true for all mags.

What most people call ammo problems in a 1911 is really an extractor problem where the last round case isn't fully ejected before the next round tries to load causing a stove pipe. That I have seen but it can be cured by literally bending the extractor by hand a millimeter. You can get fancy and file and polish but while I have done that I've never found it necessary. Just an excuse to use the Dremal tool. Extractor problems aren't limited to 1911's. I've seen it in Sigs, Glocks, Smith& Wesson and others over the years. Depending on how much you go to the range and shoot you'll see it too eventually. I'm the Chairman of my local pistol range so I am there a lot and probably see these things more often then most would.

Of course, shooting whatever you are thinking of buying is highly recommended but no other pistol has a trigger like a 1911 overall. It can be made as perfect for your needs as possible or works straight out of the box. You'll find that true of most single action pistols.

One last semi-hidden benefit of a RIA 10mm is that you can buy a 40 S&W barrel from RIA, drop it in, get a few 40 cal mags and shoot less expensive 40 cal ammo for most of you practice sessions. You do want to practice with 10mm ammo just so you can remember the difference, the 10 will kick more. There are a few companies that make barrels for the Springfield I just don't know if they go from 10mm to 40, Storm Lake is one and Fire Dragon is another. I'm sure there are some of the custom shops that could do it to at a higher cost.
So, having never done any customization on my guns before, wanting to make sure I'm understanding correctly that I can just buy the 40 barrel and take it to a gunsmith to fit it and then along with a 40 magazine will be good to go?

So, having never done any customization on my guns before, wanting to make sure I'm understanding correctly that I can just buy the 40 barrel and take it to a gunsmith to fit it and then along with a 40 magazine will be good to go?

I had zero fitmeent issues. Just get a bull barrel with a fully ramped feed and it should drop in. The barrel is exactly the same size as the 10mm it is the chamber that is a bit shorter. Some say that you just need 40S&W mags and it will work and I know it will but it won't be as accurate because of a short bullit in a long chamber. I just checked to see if where I got mine had anything but I think Covid killed his business as there ia nothing there any longer. You might want to check Gun Buyer and of course, RIA.

I had zero fitmeent issues. Just get a bull barrel with a fully ramped feed and it should drop in. The barrel is exactly the same size as the 10mm it is the chamber that is a bit shorter. Some say that you just need 40S&W mags and it will work and I know it will but it won't be as accurate because of a short bullit in a long chamber. I just checked to see if where I got mine had anything but I think Covid killed his business as there ia nothing there any longer. You might want to check Gun Buyer and of course, RIA.
There are several online I saw. I read somewhere you can even use a 10mm mag for .40, but some things should just be done right.

If you reload, you can lighten up the 10mm loads for target practice... Then carry full house for social engagements.

I was looking at ammo and I can buy a case of 10mm for 20% less then 9mm at the moment. That is truly weird.

If you reload, you can lighten up the 10mm loads for target practice... Then carry full house for social engagements.
Haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet. Have a couple friends that do though.