• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Guns

kona1000

Buy Bitcoin
Never been a gun guy but I’m looking to get a shotgun and a rifle- good for long range.

I am not experienced at all with guns, so I know I have a lot to learn.

I have recently given myself the doomsday prepper tag and am looking to protect my family when SHTF.

THANKS For any advise.

Agreed 870 is the most versatile shotgun out there.

What do you consider long range? Most humane hunting is probably 300yds or less depending on your locale. That being said, out of the box, Savage makes a good shooter. Ruger precision is another option. Look at common loads like 308 or 30-06 for your cartridge. Some of the more specialized rounds get hard to find when SHTF.

Glass: you'll likely spend the same amount on good glass as you do the rifle. Some say 1x power per hundred yards, but I'm not ashamed to say that I crank my scope up all the way when target shooting.

870 Remington Wingmaster is very versatile as Doc said. I love my Benelli Super Black Eagle for hunting and it never jams, but I could never run slugs through the barrel. With the 870 you can buy a rifled slug barrel and change over to that, or smooth bore to shoot buckshot, or birdshot in a matter of minutes.

My favorite rifle has always been the Winchester Model 70. I have a 30-06 that from around the late 50's and a .308 that's from around the mid to late 60's. The pre 64 is supposed to be the best, but I honestly like the way the .308 round performs better. That thing is a tack driver.

Remington 870, Mossberg 500....can't go wrong with either of those.

For a reasonable price, lots of guys in the firearms forums I follow have gotten amazingly good results with the Ruger American rifle. Solid bolt action rifle in a fair assortment of calibers that won't break the bank. Shop around, you will find them on sale now and then. Easy to recommend.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

Gotta agree with the above shotgun choices unless you really feel the need to have 20+ shells ready to go and then a Kel-tec KSG25 is the choice.

For rifles it would depend on what you think is "long range", is there a range near enough to practice the distance you want shoot and how much time can you devote to getting good at that range. For the vast majority of people learning and getting good at up to 300 yards will take up most of their time. For shear volume of choices and parts the (excuse my bias here) crappy AR-15 style in 223 Wylde chambering will get the job done. Why do I think it is crappy? Any weapon that needs a special assist to seat the bolt is a shit design from the getgo end of story, no point in arguing with me. Why 223 Wylde chambering? Because it is designed to handle military 5.56 and civilian .223 rounds and there is a notable difference between them unlike the the next round I talk about. That said the AR-10 which is a 7.62x51 caliber (same as the 308 Winchester for all practical purposes) will provide a longer range and far more energy at whatever you hit. Rounds weigh more so you will carry less but there are only so many you can carry anyway. Having 5,000 rounds is pointless because you could barely move them.

You'll also want to get a pistol and get good with that too. 9mm Luger and 45ACP are the most common if you think you will be foraging for ammo as you cross the state. A revolver may be better because of fewer moving parts and if you get the right one like a 357 Mag you'll also be able to fire 38 and 38 super rounds in it but you'll have less rounds available to fire and reloading on the move is slower. You can always have a pistol strapped on but you gotta put that rifle down sometime.

I, myself, have had very good luck buying used from auctions or dealers.

It would be good to teach the whole family how to used these tools. The wife should know that shotgun as well as you because she will probably be the one carrying it.

Another choice is to look into a carbine style rifle in 9mm. You won't get the range of a 5.56 or 7.62 but you'll only need to stock & carry one size of ammo and you could carry more rounds total which may or may not be a plus for you

Lastly, keep records of what you shoot, how you shot, the weather and shoot in ALL conditions. I mean pouring rain, snow. 110 degrees and 0. You won't shoot the same and neither will your weapons. Learn how to shoot with iron sights first before you get a scope. A scope really isn't needed but it does make things easier sometimes. Memorize how to make cleaning fluid on the go like Ed's Red (look it up on the 'net) and keep everything as clean as possible, your life may depend on it.

I'm glad you posted this because I just started looking at purchasing my first shotgun. I will take a look at the Remington 870 but so far, my first choice is the Mossberg 590.

Mossberg 590 vs Remington 870

Mossberg 590

Thanks for the suggestions!

What do you think about buying used?

Absolutely, not an issue. See if you can find a buddy to help you verify the used items aren't abused.

Used Shotguns aren't my forte, so I'll leave that for others to guide you on.

Used rifles...you want to open the action, paying attention to how smooth it feels. While the action is open, look at the rifling. You shouldn't see any pitting. The shoulders of the lands and grooves should be sharp. The muzzle crown should be free of any defects and uniform.

There's a ton of other things to look at, but you'll get analysis paralysis.

Lots of good options mentioned already and honestly you would be hard pressed to go wrong with any off them.

Probably be better of to set some parameters for what you are looking for.

How much do you want to spend, what are you looking to hunt, range, what level and price of optic, price and availability of preferred ammo?

Another option for a shotgun is a Mossberg 930. Yes it's an semiautomatic and a little more expensive, but the operating system eats some of the recoil and allows for quicker follow up shots.

Tikka has been getting good reviews as an alternative to Savage or Remington, but honestly I don't believe there is a lot of difference between them.

For optics on a budget, Primary Arms scopes are tough to beat.

... And if you are truly looking for a SHTF rifle and something that is funny to shoot, then an AR-15 deserves a look. It decent rifle can be assembled for less $500.

Great stuff - thanks.

I’m thinking my budget is about 1500$ plus ammo and a a gun course.

I’m not sure if that reasonable. I could go higher but I don’t want to go to much higher.

I guess I’ll keep my eyes open for gun shows.

I’m liked Avb’s comments on getting a rifle and hand gun that use the same ammo. Seems to make sense.

I’m not really looking to hunt anything, although it might be a necessity when things get weird. It’s mostly for protection.

Does anyone else see the world economic system and environmental situation coming to some serious shit?

Remington 870, Mossberg 500....can't go wrong with either of those.

For a reasonable price, lots of guys in the firearms forums I follow have gotten amazingly good results with the Ruger American rifle. Solid bolt action rifle in a fair assortment of calibers that won't break the bank. Shop around, you will find them on sale now and then. Easy to recommend.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

I’m pleased with my Mossberg 500, I got it for home defense several years ago. Christy and I are both pretty proficient with it.

We live in an isolated area. One of our neighbors has been the target of a home invasion.

Does anyone else see the world economic system and environmental situation coming to some serious shit?

I don't, but I quit listening to people like Alex Jones and some of the others that keep saying the world is going to end.

Y2K, 2012, comets, asteroids, and EMPs. It's all there for the consumption of the masses...
I'm doing the fat dumb and happy lifestyle now. If SHTF, I'll have fewer regrets than if I had continued to listen to those conspiracy theories.

Speaking of shotguns ..... :D

I've wanted one of these forever. Serbu makes it. You have to register it as an AOW and get a tax stamp (about $12 a year, I think)

5d27be242231685d8d00b178700536a9.jpg

Not exactly what you'd want at the skeet range, but for close quarters room clearing it's just the ticket.

~Boar

Speaking of shotguns ..... :D

I've wanted one of these forever. Serbu makes it. You have to register it as an AOW and get a tax stamp (about $12 a year, I think)

5d27be242231685d8d00b178700536a9.jpg

Not exactly what you'd want at the skeet range, but for close quarters room clearing it's just the ticket.

~Boar

Check out the TAC14. No stamp needed.

Great stuff - thanks.

I’m thinking my budget is about 1500$ plus ammo and a a gun course.

I’m not sure if that reasonable. I could go higher but I don’t want to go to much higher.

I guess I’ll keep my eyes open for gun shows.

To be proficient for both you and your wife you'll spend $1500 just on ammo over time. As far as $1500 for a pistol, rifle and shotgun it is doable especially if buying used. I have no idea what gun courses cost since Uncle Sam gave them to me for free.

Check out the TAC14. No stamp needed.
Woah, I went down a five hour rabbit hole looking at this Tac14 and the Mossberg Shockwave. I'll be getting one very soon for the truck.