• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

gurgling

thriller1911

I've been smoking for a while now, and no matter how slow I go, my bowl still gurgles...I'm an aromatic lover at heart, and I know some of them are just that damp, but am I doing anything wrong?

Most aromatics will gurgle in my experience. Keep a few pipe cleaners handy to run down the stem when you start to hear it.

You can try drying them out, but most don't dry out much.

Maybe someone else has some better ideas and more experience with aromatics.

in mm last few days of smoking a pipe it has been aromatics and they gurgle but I just do as lilbastage said run a pipe cleaner down the stem problem solved rp

lilbastage also told me to and I quote "STOP SLOBBERING IN YOUR PIPE!" so it might be a combination of factors.

When I feel a buildup I use a fluffy pipe cleaner making sure not to go all the way into the bowl. The fluffy ones are great for removing extra moisture, better than the spiral ones in my experiance.

I use the spiral ones afterwards to give everything a good cleaning.

It could also be your pipe. I have one that gurgles all the time. I like the look of the pipe it just smokes wet with everything I have tried. Also let you tobacco dry out. I put mine out on a paper plate for about 15 min before use it.

If you are going to smoke goopy aromatic blends you may want to try them in a high quality block meerschaum pipe, or a simple corn cob. Drying them won't do much because many of these blends have a lot PG and other crap, and never really dry.

I've read that gurgle is caused by turbulence in the airway... although this may be right, I think it's more applicable to briars. Cobs and meers are much more absorbent in my opinion.

"fluffy"? "spiral"? I thought they all had the same degree of "fluffiness"...

The "fluffy" ones, as I put it, look like they are made out of terry cloth.
There are regular, tapered, fluffy, and bristle. The first three are all soft material, the third has little plastic bristles on them. The fluffy certainly are fluffy, I can't get them through a couple of my pipes.

For the record I use mostly tapered and bristle in my routines.

Even though, I go through a lot of pipe cleaners.... which I don't mind, they are pretty cheap, I make sure to have about three of them during each smoke.

Most of my briers gurgle. But I also am a little heavy handed with my tamping, causing my draw to close often. I like a tight draw, because It creates more taste for me personally.

Anywho.... when this happens, or when I get a gurgle, I run a pipe cleaner through..... all the way to the end of the bowl. Through the tobacco. Sometimes I have a pocket, so there is no tobacco their, but most of the time, I've tamped the tobacco down, so I'm in affect punching through the tobacco... which then opens up the draw again and also eliminates alot of the moisture. But I've been learning to dry out my tobacco a lot before smoking, so the moister problem isn't so much a factor anymore.

But the point is, is that I do go through a couple of pipe cleaners during my smoke.