• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gurkha Centurian Double X

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Taking the plunge with my first review, I hope you find it useful.

I took advantage of the special that Cbid had on these about 3 weeks ago, 2 canisters for $200. Now I've never paid $219 (tax and shipping) for 28 cigars before but I had read some good things about these and decided to take a chance. These are supposed to MSRP at $420 a can (who comes up with these prices anyway?) but were discounted to $100 a can during the special.

The Double X comes nestled in loose leaves of tobacco inside the canister, very unique in my experience. After taking one out of it's bedding I looked at the flawless construction. The double tapered ends (hence double X) made me wonder if I should light or cut the closed end or open up the other end a bit more for a better draw. In the end, I decided to leave the open end alone and light the closed end.

The cigar tunneled for about the first half inch before the entire end ashed up. I would think that this would be expected with this design. After that first half inch the cigar produced volumes of smoke with a fairly easy draw. This is a medium strength cigar to me and there was no harshness at all throughout the entire length. I'm sure that a few of my moustache hairs are shorter as I smoked it down as far as I could and still not burn my fingers. I almost wished I had a roach clip to get the last little bit from this cigar.

The flavor had such a rich smoothness it was the smoking equivalent of the finest chocolate I've ever had. This is one of the few cigars I can honestly say was creamy. Those of you that favor cigars that make you think somebody jabbed you in the gut probably won't like this. For the rest of us, if you have an hour to just indulge yourself with a smoke while relaxing I highly recommend giving one a try.

Hey, great review AVB :thumbs: Sounds like you more than got your moneys worth!

Also sounds quite tastey, I'll add it to my shopping list - Thanks!

I plunked down a bid of $101 for this 14 pack. Bid closes July 12; the bid may hold up through Monday. If the bid loses, hopefully I will be restored to sanity by then to keep me from upping the ante. I put down a much more reasonable bid for Master Select Toros 6.0 x 52, not listed on the Gurkha site...

Are all their wrappers infused in Cognac? The home page (http://www.gurkhacigars.com/about.htm# )seems to suggest this, but other forums suggest only the Grand Reserve line.

Alph Chomper said:
I plunked down a bid of $101 for this 14 pack. Bid closes July 12; the bid may hold up through Monday. If the bid loses, hopefully I will be restored to sanity by then to keep me from upping the ante.
Won it at 126 @ $9 a smoke plus shipping. They smell GREAT. Will smoke one sometime soon...
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=191207
Another auction ending 7/18/2004 is at $106 today, Friday night.

Paid $36 for a CI weekly special that included one of these with 12 other Gurkhas. Got to say that was the reason I bought the sampler, although I have never smoked a bad Gurkha, Hansotia, etc. Waiting for the right time to fire it up after it's properly rested from the trip. Thanks for the review AVB!

i got the same special at CI, thinking about firing it up tonight
Shawn

I'm well into my 2nd can and have been wanting to get some more but they (Gurkha) keep coming out with new blends I want to try. A never ending battle between money and wants :)

:thumbs: It is a fantastic smoke that I have yet to see in stores. :(
when I can get them from here I can.

a great tasty smoke and I love the shape.

sir-smokes-a-lot said:
:thumbs: It is a fantastic smoke that I have yet to see in stores. :(
when I can get them from here I can.

a great tasty smoke and I love the shape.
Had one with some work budies on Sunday evening after eating super spicy smoked ribs. yum. The taste was just smooth and delicious. I too, nubbed it down to 3/4 of an inch looking for the tweezers.

At last a smoke worthy of trades and passes here. 2 cans, 126 and 116 $ .

Not sure if people still haven't tried this smoke. It is a very good one in my opinion. To repeat the best description I have read on this topic: it is the creamiest smoke I have ever had.

Anyway, they are on the ci make me an offer page. I just offered $50 for 12 and got it. $55 with shipping comes to $4.58/stick...a STEAL!

I got 6 for $120 about 2 years ago. I still have one left. I guess I can smoke it now!

Just wanted to pass it on.

I have had one in my humidor for about 4 years now that I forgot was in there. I think I will give it a try as soon as my cold goes away.

Interesting review, Ray. Piqued my curiosity. I smoked a Grand Age a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Highly flavorful and complex. I'm going through some legends right now. I guess I'll try these next.

Dang! AVB, you got any of these still sitting around?? With now over five years age on 'em, I wonder if they smoke any different. :D