• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann No. 2 vs. Montecristo No. 2

aramp1

The Monte #2 has been my go-to stogie for some time now.  I've recently run low and decided to restock.  When shopping around, the H. Upmann came up randomly.  It's the same size and shape.  But, how do the two compare?  I'd usually buy one or two to test out, but I'm thinking about buying a box and just diving in.  Thoughts?  

Can't say I've had the H Upmann 2, but plenty of Monte 2's.  Obviously they are some of the best in that vitola.  Honestly I'm a BBF guy over all of them, though it's a slightly different shape.

I'll have to try some H 2's I guess.  I'm guessing if you dove in on a box they wouldn't go to waste...either smoking them yourself or offering up 5'ers if you don't enjoy them that much.

Both are great, although I've had slightly better luck with the Monte.  I would also like to make another suggestion for the piramide vitola:  the Vegas Robaina Unicos.  With 3+ years on it, it's out-of-this-world good.

Don't shy away from the Dip #2's - Also a great selection.   Really can't go wrong with any of the above.  

Agree, Nate turned me on to the Dip 2. Great cigar in my opinion.

cookie_1978 said:
Don't shy away from the Dip #2's - Also a great selection.   Really can't go wrong with any of the above.  
Sorry, DIP?

Diplomatico. Great smoke.

Out of the two I prefer the Monte but my two favorties are the VR and the Dip

louich said:
Diplomatico. Great smoke.

Out of the two I prefer the Monte but my two favorties are the VR and the Dip
I see, many thanks...

I really do not enjoy the Dip. 2's. HU No.2's are good but a Monte No. 2 when on is excellent. Only trouble with the Monte 2's is that they are inconsistent from box to box so you need to know what you're buying. These are the only cigars that I have hand picked for me. 2013 box codes were very good for the most part but you want them to be dark and a nice oil sheen to them:

TPO ABR 13

IMG_3507_zpsec599e64.jpg

Monte #2's annoy the hell out of me. They're plugged when I want them badly, and I usually only smoke one when I really want one. I moved to both the H Upmann #2 and the Diplo #2, and my vote would be the Diplo when fresher, Upmann with time. Just my two cents.

coopsdeloops said:
Monte #2's annoy the hell out of me. They're plugged when I want them badly, and I usually only smoke one when I really want one. I moved to both the H Upmann #2 and the Diplo #2, and my vote would be the Diplo when fresher, Upmann with time. Just my two cents.
This has been my experience with the montes as well. I usually bring them out when I want something real good but, have found myself stranded withe a plugged monte 2 on too many occasion.

Belicosos are really hit and miss. I think the most enjoyable box I can recall was a box of the RyJ Belicoso. Really an amazing cigar. Consistent, woodsy, and pleasantly complex. Very different than the others mentioned. 

Pulling out a monte 2 for tonight. Taking a back up with me though. Live and learn.

I found that both taste relatively the same...  I get you with the plugged issue.   Hate when that happens.  It ruins the whole experience...