• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Habanos SA wins the Cohiba trademark battle against General Cigar.

well shit, I thought they were the same person. I don't blame them for suing them at all.

Lol! Castro kicked the habit in 1985. I never knew he was a Cohiba fiend!

Question: so what happens now? You cannot change what is in current stock, but from now on will there have to be a name change to differentiate the US made against the Cuban made? Anyone know?

I'm surprised that a court would entertain a suit brought by a Cuban (or now Chinese? I thought they had a big stake in Habanos S.A. now?) outfit. Maybe because, according to the article, Altadis from the UK is involved -- perhaps it was on behalf of the British barristers that the trademark can be filed in the US?

Why cohiba? Why not Romeo and Juliet, punch, Monte cristo, etc.

Those are Altadis U.S. run properties, but Altadis is actually a Spanish company based in Madrid (with many subsidiaries) and I believe owns half of Habano S.A. along with Cuban gov. So they don't have the same issue as the Cohibas (General).

It's been a few years that I've known that, not sure if it's changed since then. Also, this ruling isn't the end-all. They've both won before.. and both lost. The ruling will almost certainly be on hold while General appeals. There's a reason this has been going on for over a quarter century.

It's my understanding that a buyout or merger would happen if General were to actually lose their appeal. But that too is also old info and not sure if that would still be the goal.

Yeah. This current SCOTUS could potentially take this up. If they do, I could see them coming down on General's side.

The takeaway for now, General Cohibas will continue to be sold.. for now.

Question: so what happens now? You cannot change what is in current stock, but from now on will there have to be a name change to differentiate the US made against the Cuban made? Anyone know?
Although I am not a lawyer, so not certain it it the same application, they do destroy goods that are counterfeit trademarks. And Disney Isa aggressive with recovering g profits from people who violate the Mouse.

Although I am not a lawyer, so not certain it it the same application, they do destroy goods that are counterfeit trademarks. And Disney Isa aggressive with recovering g profits from people who violate the Mouse.

Disney is fairly aggressive at protecting their property and IP... but they pale in comparison to many companies. The NFL is probably the king of aggressive protection.

But no product is going to be destroyed anytime soon. Well, except by the end user as they put fire to leaf.

Those are Altadis U.S. run properties, but Altadis is actually a Spanish company based in Madrid (with many subsidiaries) and I believe owns half of Habano S.A. along with Cuban gov. So they don't have the same issue as the Cohibas (General).

It's been a few years that I've known that, not sure if it's changed since then. Also, this ruling isn't the end-all. They've both won before.. and both lost. The ruling will almost certainly be on hold while General appeals. There's a reason this has been going on for over a quarter century.

It's my understanding that a buyout or merger would happen if General were to actually lose their appeal. But that too is also old info and not sure if that would still be the goal.

General has appealed.

“By initiating this lawsuit to appeal the TTAB decision and to obtain a declaration of its rights, General Cigar expects the court will ultimately rule it has exclusive U.S. rights to the Cohiba marks,” said Régis Broersma, president of STG’s North America and rest of world division.
General stated that it will “continue to manufacture, market, sell and enforce its Cohiba marks.”