• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Harley Davidson

Infinity

Infinity - *Unbounded space, time, or quantity*
Anything I have ever desired (within reason of course), my wife has always backed me. She has only objected to one thing, a bike.
She has no problem me purchasing one but refuses to go on it; up until now. :D

Since mini herfing with Gary in CT and seeing his bike (beautiful), I have been working on her and she has agreed that we should rent one and see!
Right, that's a done deal as far as I am concerned... :love: However, I will give it a little time but will, in the interim, start the journey.

I'm looking for advice/opinions from all the boards bike riders. There are so many Harley's around, unless you have experience with these bikes, it's not an
easy choice.

I would prefer a touring bike, something comfortable with all the bells and whistles.

I'd appreciate your input as to which model of Harley, you have and why, or would have and within reason, if cost where not an issue, what extras would you include on your bike?

Links, pics, cost etc will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

Not much advice to give on Harleys, as I've never owned one (really like my V-star), but will stick my nose in in other ways...

It's not clear if you've done much riding in the past. If not, the MSF basic course is terrific, and, depending on the state you're in, may count as your "road test."

Your renting idea is a good one, both to see if you like riding, and to see if the bike you've rented is right for you. I've known a couple of people who've bought various FLH*** model Harleys, only to ride them for a week and find out that they've gotten too much bike.

Be careful out there. A lot more guys I know than usual have gone down this year.

I rented a Heritage Softail Classic a few years ago and, while I'm not a Harley guy, I really enjoyed it. It was very comfortable and the there wasn't much vibration at all, unlike other models I've seen like the Road King. I also had a chance to ride the Ultra Classic Electra Glide. That's a really nice touring bike.

PM sent.

Timger's correct. The FLH models aren't for everyone. The fairing makes the front end heavier and more difficult in low speed situations(ie. parking lots).
The fairing does also buffet(sp) head winds - cross winds can move the front a little, with the fairing.

I'd say test out the Road King. I get the sense that comfort will be a factor...that model should give you some good options.

As far as other bike brands...take a look around and see what your eye tells you to look at.

I don't think a sport bike will be in-order...more of a cruiser, yes.

That's great news, Brian. Congratulations! I am green with envy.

Even though I had a motorcycle when we met, my wife refuses to even entertain the thought of allowing me back on a motorcycle until the kids are done with college. I told her she could choose...nope. Told her that we could get one for her too...Nope. I tried to tell her that I was worth more dead than alive...Nope. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you for another 20 years or so. I just hope neither of the girls decide to get a doctorate.

When I was a kid, before I got married, I rode bikes. Nothing like a touring Harley, sport bikes up to 500 cc as I recall.
That was so long ago I'm surprised I can remember :laugh:

Gary mentioned taking a course in a PM to me, which is sound advice. The course or courses will also enable me to get my bike license which sorts out
the rental side.

You guys mention FLH. Do all the large touring bikes have this or is it an option. Gary, you have an Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I assume this is top of the range
touring?

Brian

That's great news, Brian. Congratulations! I am green with envy.

Even though I had a motorcycle when we met, my wife refuses to even entertain the thought of allowing me back on a motorcycle until the kids are done with college. I told her she could choose...nope. Told her that we could get one for her too...Nope. I tried to tell her that I was worth more dead than alive...Nope. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you for another 20 years or so. I just hope neither of the girls decide to get a doctorate.
LOL Sam. That sounds exactly like my wife.

Right now we love traveling around this beautiful country in our Motor Coach. We feel that we have at least another 3 years of doing the same.
I want to install a hydraulic platform at the back of the rig (or a new rig, we may upgrade) so we can have the use of the bike in some of these amazing places.

Well, that's my pitch to Jane for now, it's a start. :blush:

Brian

FLH is a Model identifier for the Harley Touring Bikes.

FLHR = Road King
FLHTCU = Ultra Classic Electra Glide

And so forth.

Pretty sure they all have pretty hefty fairings on them.

The Harley's are great bikes but if you don't have your heart completely set on them check out The Victory Vision. I was a Sport bike guy but since I was in the accident I don't think I am going to be comfortable riding one anymore so I have been really looking at the victory bikes. They are american made like Harley but have a lil bit better technology to them.

See how much I know. I thought that FLH means fairings :laugh:

Good info, thanks guys.

Brian

If you aren't dead set on a Harley the Honda Goldwing is an outstanding touring motorcycle and so are the BMW touring bikes.

If I were you I would look at and try to ride (at the VERY least sit on) every bike that caught my eye. The Harley touring bikes are great, but they aren't comfortable for everyone. Same with the Goldwing and BMWs.

Be safe and have fun!

The Harley's are great bikes but if you don't have your heart completely set on them check out The Victory Vision. I was a Sport bike guy but since I was in the accident I don't think I am going to be comfortable riding one anymore so I have been really looking at the victory bikes. They are american made like Harley but have a lil bit better technology to them.
Wow, that Victory is an amazing bike.

Very good advice Alan. I guess I have a lot of homework to do.

Brian

Heya Brian,

I've been riding for around 20 years and I participate in a number of long distance road rally events. These events range from 24 hours (such as The MN 1000) to 11 days (2003 and 2005 Iron Butt) during which we ride up to 1500 miles per day or even more. My longest ride was 1700 miles in 24 hours. You do this by riding anywhere from 16 to 24 hours a day. I preface my post with this stuff because I have learned more than a little about long rides from these things :laugh:

Paramount during these competitions and general touring by extension are the following important considerations:
- Comfort. First and foremost you must be comfortable on your motorcycle. Physical discomfort leads to fatigue which makes trips less pleasant and potentially dangerous. No matter what bike you end up with, I strongly suggest you look into aftermarket seats. I have owned Corbin, Sargent, and easily the very best; Russell. I have now owned 2 Russells and I don't hesitate at all to say that it is best $500 I ever spent on each bike.
- Performance. The bike must perform well in a variety of conditions. You may not be a racer but having the ability to turn on the speed when you need it is good. You may be going on a nice cross country trip, but what about the twisty roads when you reach your destination? Will you have fun riding in them on your bike? Do you care? How about anti-lock brakes - are they important to you?
- Relaibility. I have several bikes for messing around close to home. If I have trouble with one 65 miles away it is no big deal. But the bikes I use for long trips and the events I compete in must be proven marques with a solid history behind them. I cannot afford to be stranded 1000 miles from home or 3 hours away from my next rally checkpoint.

So, having ridden quite a number of bikes ranging from vintage to current year including Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawisaki, BMW, Triumph (new), Triumph (old), Norton, and smattering of Harleys I have reached the conclusion that BMW is the hands down winner.
Comfort, performance, and reliability - all in one fine package.

I rode a late 90;s R1100RSL for a few years, a 2002 R 1150 GS for about 4 years and I now have a 2006 R 1200 GSA. All have been stellar performers.

Models that you might want to take out for a spin in the BMW line include:
R1200RT - a fantastic touring/sport-touring bike.
K1200LT - full tilt, top of the line touring bike
K1200GT - a more sport oriented sport-touring bike
And of course, my favorite, the R1200GS
Prices range from the high teens into the mid 20's.
BMW Motorcycle website

The best advice I can give you is to go around to a lot of dealerships and test ride a lot of bikes. There are a lot of tremendously competent motorcycles out there. For example, Honda makes the Gold Wing which is arguably the best road-touring bike on earth. Don't get caught up in the style - get something that's going to work correctly for you. Find the one that fits you best.

You may have noticed that I didn't mention Harley :)

What can I say? I am not a fan. Many others are and they can give you the advice you need on that marque.

Good luck!

- Tim

Excellent post Tim, thanks for taking the time to pass on the advice.

Brian

I have had 2 Harley's in the past. If I had the cash I would get the Street Glide. The Street Glide has the same frame as all the FLH bikes but it is about 2 inches lowered. The bike has monochromatic paint. You still have the side bags for storage and the fairing for protection.
Add ons would be pipes and a stage one kit to let the bike breath. With those you get better sound more power and more MPG

More info

Test drive test drive test drive!!!!

..and be safe.

X2!

I ride a FatBoy and I find it handles better than most I have been on. A Fatboy is softtail without the bags; quite like the Heritage Softtail Classic.

I have been on an UltraGlide on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a couple hours and it handled pretty well.

I haven't had the pleasure of the Road King, but I hear they have done wonders with that bike; it can be had with the hard bags and ferrings.

Good luck.

Ken

Wow, finally a subject I know something about. Just a relative newbie in cigars but have quite a bit of knowledge on bikes.

Personally I own a 05 FLHTPI - This is a former police bike. Electra Glide Classic. Basically an Ultra glide without all the bells and whistles and the same as the street glide but cheaper. If you want to save some money on initial buy then I have found them to be the best deal but you have to be careful about how it was used. Saying that I have added quite a few things to make better. Bigger seat, removable passenger seat, removable passenger backrest, new grips, better breather, slip ons, passenger floor boards and don't forget the chrome. This is my longer distance bike and I have ridden from Toronto to FL on it. The wife also doesn't mind it and when she's not with me I can make it sexier by removing her seat.

Now for myself for fun, I have a highly modified 08 Fat Bob. This is my fun, rip around, act like a biker bike. One seat, fast motor, not much bike and badass.

What I'm getting at is you have to find the right one for you. I rode a Kawasaki and Honda for years and did many long distances on it. A 800 Vulcan that was perfect for learning but always remember. You will have CC envy. If you can control it then start out with an 800/900 CC, then 1200, then the bigger HD. Trying to learn on a big FLH with a passenger and the big bike WILL be a handfull and probably not a good situation. If a first bike, then a goldwing or the big BMW will also be a bad choice. Although great bikes and I will own a BMW1200 one day, they are big bikes that haul ass but also weight a ton when loaded and in my experience a little top heavy. They take getting used to.

As they say. There are those who have dumped the bike, and those who will. I have and I am a super carefull rider who puts on at least 10-20,000 miles a year, drive in traffic every day in Toronto and still have close calls. BE CAREFUL and take as many courses as you can.

Any questions just ask and as others say, test ride as many as you can. Look on the HD website and find out when your local dealer might have a test day.

Good advise and it appears, a good topic! Thanks guys, keep your opinions coming, very interesting!

Ok, there's irony in this thread; well, that's what I'm picking up, can anyone see it?

How about CC or NC? :laugh: Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. :whistling: Don't waste your money on a premium stick until your palate's developed ???

Brian