• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Has a monster just been created? First smoke...

Hey Tiger, don't let these guys fool you. ACID Kuba Kubas are delicious! It is an acquired taste but, I have never met anyone who didn't like it when I handed them one......

Acid's aren't all that bad, at least not in my experience. But they are certainly not why I smoke cigars.....

Ok, let's clear the air on Acids....

When I have a drink, it's usually a good quality bourbon, or a good quality scotch, or a good quality gin....on the rocks or neat. Why? I'm not looking for the flavor of soda pop or mixer or whatever; I buy good quality liquor and want to experience the taste, the complexity, the flavors that are unique to the product in the glass. Sure, I have a mixed drink here and there, but not that often, to be honest.

When I have a steak, I like mine mediuim rare, please. A little course ground pepper, a little garlic, and maybe a little sea salt. Not a quart of Heinz 57, not a pound of blue cheese piled on top, etc. I get good steaks and want to experience the taste and texture of a great cut of meat, cooked properly.

Which leads me to cigars. I want to taste properly aged tobacco, well blended by someone that knows what they are doing. I want it properly rolled to further the taste of a great smoke. I'd like it aged correctly to provide the proper finish to a fine cigar. I do NOT want to taste heavy fragerances added to the smoke to "enhance" it's flavor. Anything added is just a distraction from what I'm looking for when I grab a cigar.

Now, to be sure, the guys at Drew Estate know how to blend and make a good smoke, so it's not like I and the other guys are bagging on them specifically. Their Liga Privada line is just wonderful....a very fine, maybe even great smoke.

Sure, they sell lots of Acids....lots of them. They also sell a lot of wine coolers and other "soda pop" alcoholic beverages that I don't care for. Maybe it's an acquired taste. Maybe it comes with time, when the sublties of a fine smoke are bliss, rather than being pounded on the taste buds with "essential oils" or other nonsense. Try telling a bunch of wine connesours how much you like wine coolers, or a group of liquor enthusiasts how much you like to mix your bourbon with Coke. See how that works out for you.....
tongue.gif

At the end of the day, it's all about personal prefernce. But, you shouldn't be surprised that the guys that hang with this hobby long term don't really smoke Acids, nor recommend them.

As they say, one man's opinion.....B.B.S.

B.B.S I completely understand what you are saying, and I hope you didn't take my comment personal.

I am just saying every man or woman needs to be their own judge. They should make their own decision on what they like.

Don't get me wrong I would pick most premium cigars over a Kuba Kuba any day. But, sometimes I just feel like having a glass of Disaronno on the rocks and a nice Kuba Kuba.

My single malt cabinet backs up my manliness :D

But really, women and tourists buy the flavored cigars out here.

Hey Tiger, don't let these guys fool you. ACID Kuba Kubas are delicious! It is an acquired taste but, I have never met anyone who didn't like it when I handed them one......

Acid's aren't all that bad, at least not in my experience. But they are certainly not why I smoke cigars.....

When I have a drink, it's usually a good quality bourbon, or a good quality scotch, or a good quality gin....on the rocks or neat. Why? I'm not looking for the flavor of soda pop or mixer or whatever; I buy good quality liquor and want to experience the taste, the complexity, the flavors that are unique to the product in the glass. Sure, I have a mixed drink here and there, but not that often, to be honest.

When I have a steak, I like mine mediuim rare, please. A little course ground pepper, a little garlic, and maybe a little sea salt. Not a quart of Heinz 57, not a pound of blue cheese piled on top, etc. I get good steaks and want to experience the taste and texture of a great cut of meat, cooked properly.

Which leads me to cigars. I want to taste properly aged tobacco, well blended by someone that knows what they are doing. I want it properly rolled to further the taste of a great smoke. I'd like it aged correctly to provide the proper finish to a fine cigar. I do NOT want to taste heavy fragerances added to the smoke to "enhance" it's flavor. Anything added is just a distraction from what I'm looking for when I grab a cigar.

Now, to be sure, the guys at Drew Estate know how to blend and make a good smoke, so it's not like I and the other guys are bagging on them specifically. Their Liga Privada line is just wonderful....a very fine, maybe even great smoke.

Sure, they sell lots of Acids....lots of them. They also sell a lot of wine coolers and other "soda pop" alcoholic beverages that I don't care for. Maybe it's an acquired taste. Maybe it comes with time, when the sublties of a fine smoke are bliss, rather than being pounded on the taste buds with "essential oils" or other nonsense. Try telling a bunch of wine connesours how much you like wine coolers, or a group of liquor enthusiasts how much you like to mix your bourbon with Coke. See how that works out for you.....
tongue.gif

At the end of the day, it's all about personal prefernce. But, you shouldn't be surprised that the guys that hang with this hobby long term don't really smoke Acids, nor recommend them.

Entirely agree. Agreed on the steak, and agree on the liquor. But what I will add is that, I started on Acids, and I've not experienced really any premium cigars although I am working on that. But to hear a great deal of what's said around here about acids, you'd think they tasted like drinking a perfume bottle.. I think that's even been said specifically. In my experience they weren't amazing, but they hinted at something that could be found, not from acids, but from cigars in general. They are cheap, easy to find generally, and for me, they were my gateway into smoking cigars. They pleased me in a cheap and fast way, but they also eased me into cigars.
As you mentioned wine, If someone had started me on the most expensive bottle of wine they had, aged perfectly, I likely would have drank it and said, that was "good". I wouldn't be able to pick the flavors out. But because I started drinking wine on 10 dollar prima rosas, I learned to appreciate the more expensive wines out there.

I agree completely.

I've never understood taking a perfectly good steak and drowning it in steak sauce. I don't want tartar sauce on shrimp or fish either. I want to taste the fish. I also like my coffee black with no sugar.

When I started smoking cigars I wanted to smoke good cigars. I didn't want to start with Swisher Sweets, Hav-A-Tampas, White Owls or any of the flavored smokes. I wanted to smoke cigars and learn to taste the different tobaccos in the cigars. I'm still not very good at picking out the flavors of different cigars. I'm getting better, and I always know whether I like a particular stick or not, but I still can't pick out all the subtle flavors I read others mention in reviews.

Everyone has the right to smoke whatever they like, but there're some things that just don't seem right. Infused or flavored cigars fall into that category for me.

tongue.gif

Entirely agree. Agreed on the steak, and agree on the liquor. But what I will add is that, I started on Acids, and I've not experienced really any premium cigars although I am working on that. But to hear a great deal of what's said around here about acids, you'd think they tasted like drinking a perfume bottle.. I think that's even been said specifically. In my experience they weren't amazing, but they hinted at something that could be found, not from acids, but from cigars in general. They are cheap, easy to find generally, and for me, they were my gateway into smoking cigars. They pleased me in a cheap and fast way, but they also eased me into cigars.
As you mentioned wine, If someone had started me on the most expensive bottle of wine they had, aged perfectly, I likely would have drank it and said, that was "good". I wouldn't be able to pick the flavors out. But because I started drinking wine on 10 dollar prima rosas, I learned to appreciate the more expensive wines out there.

I may just be another newb agreeing with someone in the same boat as me, but I have to say that I am glad I started at the bottom of the totem pole. I agree that if I smoked a nice cigar I wouldn't in any way appreciate its quality. I have only smoked acids also but today I just bought a couple Arturo Fuente's that I can't wait to try. I am in it for the long run as someone had said earlier in the post, I might stray away from acids and maybe never smoke one again or reserve it for an every now and again thing. I can't wait to see what I am getting in my sampler from themoneycollector which I am sure is far from what acid's taste like :).