• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heading up to Montreal, any suggestions?

Pipe Smoker

The wife and I and a couple of friends are heading up to Montreal next weekend for a short vacation. High on my list of things to do is to visit Blatter Pipes. Someone suggested a place called Queue de Cheval which is supposed to be a great steak house with a killer cigar lounge. We'll definately hit up Schwartz's for some Smoked Meat, but other than that the weekend is a clean slate. Beside a one night bachelor party a few years ago, I don't think I have been up that way since I was in college.

I haven't been to Montreal since 1967. Went during Expo 67, i.e., World's Fair. I've always wanted to go back because I had a wonderful time. Would be interesting to see how much has changed. Hope you have a great time.

Sorry, that's the only place in Montreal that I remember.

I've never been to Montreal, but I'd sure hit up the La Casa Del Habano! The only La Casa I've vistied was in Rome and I will always remember that visit.

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/What-To-Do/Shopping/la-casa-del-habano
www.lacasadelhabano.ca
http://www.lacasadelhabano.cu/site/

Here is a pic of myself in the Humidor (Rome, Italy) :love:

251547_2275835183526_1478118003_32580058_1209930_n.jpg

I've been twice while on business and absolutely LOVE the city of Montreal....

...just hate the tobacco taxes! :laugh:

As far as cigar smoking, the LCDH is on Rue Sherbrooke. Very nice staff, great selection of cigars, and an awesome lounge that will serve you up coffee, mojitos, scotch, whatever you choose to accompany your cigar. The weird thing about their lounge is that they won't let you smoke cigarettes or machine-made cigars (even if its a machine-made one you just bought from them) in the lounge.

Not too far from it is a bar called Stogie's on Rue Crescent. They have a humidor, but they're more focused on the bar aspect (and 90% of the crowd is there to smoke cigarettes, not cigars). Still, a nice lounge and worth checking out.

Those are about the only places I know of in Montreal you can smoke in. Like most of the rest of the world, smoking bans have taken hold, but at least you can still partake inside of cigar shops. Also, be prepared for the tobacco taxes, since Quebec Province's are the worst in Canada. Expect $30-40 for a churchill-sized cigar or $20-30 for a robusto or corona sized one.

Having gone on business both times, I didn't get a chance to see a ton of sites, but I did go to the Art Museum, which is also on Rue Sherbrooke, not far from the LCDH. During my first visit there in 2008, it ironically enough was showcasing Cuban Revolutionary art. :laugh:

And one restaurant that really stood out in my mind was a great steakhouse over by the waterfront on Place d'Youville called Gibby's. The building it's in looks like it was an old stone stable or barn, and all they have to announce themselves outside is a little wooden pub sign...so at first you look at it and think it's a bar (a la Cheers), but if you go inside, it's steak paradise!

Have a great time in Montreal!

Oh yah, cigar taxes.........Holy sh#t"!!!!

Edit to correct spelling

Yeah, I remember taxes being nutty on cigars. We'll probably go out one night to a lounge but I plan to bring my own for the rest of the trip. I think its funny that they are so anti-cigarette because the one thing that really struck me about the city the last time I was there was how freely everyone was smoking weed.

How was the art museum? You ever been to the one here in Philly? It's a tough standard to judge others by, but I wonder how they compare.

Yeah, I remember taxes being nutty on cigars. We'll probably go out one night to a lounge but I plan to bring my own for the rest of the trip. I think its funny that they are so anti-cigarette because the one thing that really struck me about the city the last time I was there was how freely everyone was smoking weed.

How was the art museum? You ever been to the one here in Philly? It's a tough standard to judge others by, but I wonder how they compare.

It's kinda small-ish (never been to Philly, so I can't compare), but was a good time nonetheless. Obviously, that'll depend on what the exhibit is. I don't remember there being any other art there than just the main exhibit. Also, what cracked me up at the time was the gift shop. For the Cuban Revolutionary Art exhibit, they were selling empty cigar boxes and bags of pre-ground Cubita coffee for a waaaaaaay too much money.

Saint Catherines Street is always a good time! Since you have already been to Club 'SuperSex', check out "Club Downtown". You'll be glad you did. Just
send the Mrs. shopping for an hr. Or just twist up a fat one and do as the locals do. "When in Rome...." :D

So I made it up and back and didn't get arrested or deported in the process. We hit LCDH the first night and that was an excellent experience. The guy who ran the store (whose name I didn't catch) was very friendly and very knowledgeable. An all around good dude. Picked up a few RASCC to walk around with. Didn't spend too much in there because that tax is a killer. I also hit Blatter & Blatter...and spent just a bit more money... :love: . Montreal is a fantastic town to spend a weekend in. The food scene up there is outstanding. All in all we had a great time. Even without hitting a single strip club. Oh! And we got caught in one of those Occupy Wall Street Protests. A bunch of dirty hippies yelled at my wife for shopping along St. Cathrines.

Saint Catherines Street is always a good time! Since you have already been to Club 'SuperSex', check out "Club Downtown". You'll be glad you did. Just send the Mrs. shopping for an hr. Or just twist up a fat one and do as the locals do. "When in Rome...." :D

Um...been there too, still have the t-shirt.... :whistling: