• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Health related issues due to cigar smoking

gardkarlsen

Hi

I'm pretty new to cigars and I'm not quite sure where this new interest is coming from :laugh: I live in Norway and there is a lot of focus on health issue due to cigarette smoking here: you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, the package is clearly marked with slogans such as "Smoking is lethal" and one can not smoke in restaurant, bars, public buildings etc. But I have not heard or read much about health issue due to cigar smoking. I assume that there are more issues with cigarette smoking as you inhale the smoke while when smoking a cigar your are just "tasting it".

Well, do you have any worries about health issues due to cigar smoking? Are there any reports/studies covering the effects of cigar smoking?

I have more of a worry driving to work and home everyday in Sydney. :D

To be honest... No.

I've served in the military (during which I spent two weeks 13 kilometers away from Trinity Site where they blew up the first Atomic Bomb living out in the open in the still slightly radioactive sand), I worked heavy construction for close to ten years. And now I work in a high stress management job.

I'm probably gonna die young, but I'm willing to bet you it won't be the cigars that take me out...

No, I have no worries about it at all. There is always something going to kill us. I choose to not worry. Now, I do try to treat myself well. Eat healthy most of the time, that sort of thing. But I don't go nuts over health food either. I eat pretty much what I like. I am a bricklayer. Have been for over 20 yrs. New studies on the effects of silica dust have shown it to be extremely carcinogenic on top of the many other hazards associated with it. Hey, new studies have shown it to have killed off many bricklayer's wives. The wives get a heavy dose when washing their husband's clothes. Hey, I have too much fun in my life to worry 'bout a small hazard like tobacco smoke. Most of it is hype and the death toll is manipulated by anti-tobacco groups.

I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

Doc.

I've heard/seen that there is an increase of probability for mouth cancer and upper digestive issues for cigar smokers but cigarette smokers are like 8x or 10x more likely to develop this along with other health concerns (lung cancer, etc...) Honestly, I think alot, if not all, of these so called statistics are inaccurate. I see cigar smoking as just another form of therapy. :)

I try not to worry about such things. I smoked cigarettes for a short while, gave that up, and this to me is much more enjoyable. I probably drink less when smoking a cigar, and I should probably worry more about the drinking.

Something is gonna kill me eventually, what it is I don't know, so I have a hard time worrying about it. I talk to and see people everyday that all they do is worry, and I honestly feel bad for them because they don't seem to enjoy life very much.

Most studies show that... surprise, we all die! How dull are heath freaks lives? Yeah, you may out live me by 3 or four years but I still will have enjoyed my life a lot more than you. I'll keep smoking my cigars and eating whatever the hell I want. You enjoy those rice cakes and diet water. Salad is what my food eats!

Live healthy, don't smoke, don't drink, exersize daily, don't eat red meats...............Die anyways!

Let's just say for arguments sake that I am going to lose 3 years off my life from smoking cigars. What 3 years am I losing? If I was going to lose the years between 35 and 40, yeah I would worry, but since I'm going to lose maybe the last 3 years of my life when I'm 65-70+, then who cares.

I'm sixty two years old and i smoke cigars everyday and never felt better, since i had both knees replaced, but i'm sure the knee operation had nothing to do with smoking cigars. Smoke'm if you got'em. :thumbs: :D

Let's just say for arguments sake that I am going to lose 3 years off my life from smoking cigars. What 3 years am I losing? If I was going to lose the years between 35 and 40, yeah I would worry, but since I'm going to lose maybe the last 3 years of my life when I'm 65-70+, then who cares.

I was always told it's years off the good parts.
Here's a timeline:

nonsmoking
|-------healthy years-------------------| --------unhealthy--|

smoking
|---------healthy years--------|-----------unhealthy-------|

Again, just what I'm told.

That said, I worry a bit. But I'm young, pretty healthy, and an infrequent smoker (1x a week if I'm lucky). The drinking will catch up with me sooner, I'm sure.

All told, I'm gunning for 120, and that's no joke.

I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

Doc.

I like the way you think Doc.
happy088.gif

According to my poorly thought-out life plan, those are the years of my life that I am going to start pursuing the MILFs. I'm quite certain my wife will no longer be interested in me by then. :) I don't want to give up the MILFs. So, like most everything in life, I will practice moderation. Most of the time.

I'm probably gonna die young, but I'm willing to bet you it won't be the cigars that take me out...
Aye, but since you have smoked at least 4 times, your death just may be recorded as "smoking related" for statistical analysis.

From the moment you're born you're dying. Why not enjoy your life while living it?

I've died once already, I figure if the good Lord wanted me that badly he'd have taken me then. Of course there's always the chance that I was kicked back because I wasn't wanted at all... :laugh:

Nope...

Mainly because I think the statistics behind it is a little whacked out. I firmly believe that most of the people pooled for the stats were not exclusively a pipe/cigar smoke and smoked cigarettes for a large part of their life regardless of what the studies say.

Second, the worst stats (that I trust) show cigarette smoking as around 12% chance of getting cancer. Which considering I live in LA, I'm sporting the same chances!

This is all my opinion though, which I use to guide my life :)

Most studies show that... surprise, we all die! How dull are heath freaks lives? Yeah, you may out live me by 3 or four years but I still will have enjoyed my life a lot more than you. I'll keep smoking my cigars and eating whatever the hell I want. You enjoy those rice cakes and diet water. Salad is what my food eats!
Well said.