• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heater Suggestions?

Mrepp

To boldly troll where no Troll has trolled before
So I'm looking for a heater for my screen porch. its about 7ft by 12ft. I had a electric heater out there that cut it when it was 40degrees out but now that its 9F it doesn't stand a chance. A buddy of mine has a propane patio heater that works really well but I'm open to suggestions? Right now I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sense-Hammer-Bronze-Commercial/dp/B004S35X02/ which seems pretty good for the price plus I have Amazon prime so it would ship for free.

I believe there are some threads on this.

I suggest a Mr Buddy Big Buddy Heater. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307957_200307957

It's good for indoor use and you can get a hose for a 20lb tank (or just use two 1lb tanks).

I used it in my garage. It has a fan (plug (purchase it) or battery)...but it heats the 'objects' in the room. Then I picked up a 30000 BTU unit - similar features and style...but it hooks to my NG.

I also use it in the house if I lose power - it has an oxygen ans tip sensor.

Do you put plastic over the screens in the winter - or at least some?

Those heaters work great as long as you have the hight and clearance above. If not the mr. Buddy heaters are great and take up very little room. One of our CP brothers has that same heater on his screen and with some thin plastic over the screens it was a sauna in there last winter! However the hight is a factor big time and a fire risk.

We used to have one of those standing heaters at the bar. Completely out in the open, standing next to it I'd be sweating. I wouldn't even think about putting one of those in an area with a ceiling. Gonna burn the place down.

ETA: If you do buy one, please make sure your beads are well hydrated for the death pass. Thanks.

Actually, the ceiling height can be a lot closer that you think since the dome reflects the heat down. I used worry about the same thing in a certain scenario. Constantly monitoring the vinyl soffit above my heater, it only got slightly warm to the touch. Get it too close to vinyl siding beside/below the dome and it'll melt it in a heartbeat.

Sorry guys, but I couldn't disagree more. Those tall heaters don't do a very good job of deflecting the heat downwards if you're sitting...especially indoors where you see them all over Vegas. Unless you stand close and cozy up to it, the heat dispersion in next to none in the surrounding area. And they eat propane.

Conversely, I can't agree more with Gary's suggestion, that thing is a freakin' dynamo...too bad I lost mine in the flood last year. I used it with the larger grill propane tanks and they last a good long time. I could heat a 2 1/2 car garage in about 30 minutes...to the point where I'd wear a light sweatshirt while it was 35 degrees outside.

You really need to have your heat source low to get decent coverage.

Thanks guys. I think Gary's suggestion really fits my needs the best. Plus I can use that when I work in the garage too. The only reason I was looking at the umbrella type is because a buddy of mine was gifted one and it works phenomenal but I talked to his dad who was the one who gifted it and its a 100,000BTU one that cost 700$ so that might explain that.

Mrepp let us know what you end up getting and how it work out for you. 

Warm days ahead for you. Happy Smoking!

Paul

So I went with Garys suggestion, the Mr. Heater Bug Buddy and it works great. Its like 12F outside and its easily a nice 65 on my screen portch to have a cigar. Very happy with it. Saved a good amount of money by getting it today too.

Tall Paul said:
Did you plastic the windows?

not yet but i probably should. I have a few of them cracked for ventilation

You can even make 'frames' with lattice and plastic (both side) and then just put those up and not staple or tape the plastic.
<we would do that for my mom's backporch>

grateful1 said:
You can even make 'frames' with lattice and plastic (both side) and then just put those up and not staple or tape the plastic.
<we would do that for my mom's backporch>

well mines is a little weird, it actually has the normal windows and then storm windows you can put on the outside too and those are on. I think that's why it does a decent job without the extra's.

Mark that is the patio heater that I have. Like Paul said I do put plastic to cover the windows but I like Gary's idea about making some type of frame templates to make easier and not mess with staples. 

It warms up the screen porch well. I also turn the fan on to keep the heat moving down. It does the job for me. Propane tanks last a while as well.

gallery_14060_1800_29618.jpg

Another note about the 'frames'...we did that porch so many times...oye.

Aside from frames we would put up a mil plastic with a couple tacks at the top...then use the lattice with a couple or 4 brads. That was the best for coverage, the easiest to put up...and the least damage to the wood.

Like I said...we did that damn porch for years. 20x20, 3 sided full screen! lol

I use a hot tub set to 102. It's 34 out and I Just finished a Padron #35 and a Youngs Double Chocolate along with a little quality time with the wife.

I wasn't sure whether this should be posted in the heater, beer or today's smoke thread, or maybe just keep it to myself...

duglynukem said:
I use a hot tub set to 102. It's 34 out and I Just finished a Padron #35 and a Youngs Double Chocolate along with a little quality time with the wife.

I wasn't sure whether this should be posted in the heater, beer or today's smoke thread, or maybe just keep it to myself...

I feel like this is an invitation to sit in the hot tub with you and smoke each others cigars :whistling: :sign:

but seriously I'd love a hot tub but we are still renting at the moment so that's just not going to happen.

duglynukem said:

Welcome to CP from Fredericksburg Va.