• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help giving advice

thevalkrye

uhh huh huh huh...member.
My neighbor last night asked me for advice on some cigars for him and his two groomsmen for his wedding. He isn't a big cigar guy, but he wants something special for his wedding. He doesn't mind spending a few hundred bucks he said, so i thought i would ask you guys for your recommendation. I have some nice sticks in my stash, but nothing that quite fits the occasion for him or i would just set him up.

Any thoughts? I would like to have a nice presentation for them too, maybe a cool small box or something.

Thanks guys!

Since you're in Canada, maybe some Hoya de Monterrey Coronation Tubos or one of the various H. Upmann Corona Tubos. Both are pretty mild smokes and they come in tubes, which appeals to some.

Anything Robusto. Inexperienced cigar smokers (which most people are) often prefer a thick ring gauge and something that looks long enough to fit their image of a cigar (no perlas, for example). Anything longer, in my opinion, is a waste for a wedding. It's a horrifying sight to see a trash can full of half smoked cigars 'cause the novelty of the cigar wore off for those inexperienced cigar smokers and they were in a rush to get back to the festivities.

Fuente Hemingway or Don Carlos.

These were the first that popped into my head. Not too strong, good flavor, excellent construction.

If I had to add to these I would say the Padron Delicias in Maduro. Less expensive but a very good short corona gorda.

Oliva V Series. Best wedding smokes around. Great smokes to enjoy but cheap enough to not break the bank.

I was looking at a God of Fire set to recommend to him. There are 4 cigars in it, with a lighter and a nice case, very nice presentation.

A Culebra might be cool too, as he is looking for three cigars to share. I don't think the normal Partagas Culebra is quite special enough for what he has in mind. Anybody know of any other more "elite" ones that I could actually find somewhere?

I was looking at a God of Fire set to recommend to him. There are 4 cigars in it, with a lighter and a nice case, very nice presentation.

A Culebra might be cool too, as he is looking for three cigars to share. I don't think the normal Partagas Culebra is quite special enough for what he has in mind. Anybody know of any other more "elite" ones that I could actually find somewhere?

Davidoff makes one, and that may seem more "elite" for you up north, since it's NC. You also said they're not big cigar guys, so the more mild Davidoff may be a better choice.

Do you know if his friends are cigar guys? I'd say stick with a 1964 Padron Natural wrapper.

Davidoff makes one, and that may seem more "elite" for you up north, since it's NC. You also said they're not big cigar guys, so the more mild Davidoff may be a better choice.

The Davidoff Millennium series could be good as well. The Partagas Culebra can be strong so I don't think this would be a great route to take. Hell, even the Zino Platinum Crown Series has a nice pack with the metal case as well which would make a display case.

That Zino 3 cigar box set looks good. I am going to show that and a few other cigars i have found to him and see what he thinks.

I honestly don't think the cigars matter as much as the presentation. He just wants something "special", and since he doesn't smoke cigars very often "special" is going to be either brand name recognition or a nice presentation.

Thanks for the input guys.

I was thinking of something easy to get and mild, something like a Montecristo White or Classic. They are mild and very tasty and even most inexperienced cigar smokers have heard of Montecristo. And as Badhangover suggested go with a Robusto size for all the reasons that were listed. it sure is a shame to see half of a stick in the trash kind of makes me sad :( Also if they are inexperienced smokers then I would not offer them something like a G.O.F. or anything rare/expensive like that because they will not fully appreciate it. As you know those type of cigars take a well developed palette to really get the most enjoyment out of them.

A couple of Davidoff Dom P's or maybe a pair of Dunhill Estupendos. If those are too big you could go with something like a Compay Segundo Mareva or Festival Mareva.

You could always go with a Grape White Owl! they're inexpensive and have that long lasting fruit flavor that kids love!

Pssht... Zino cigars taste like rolled up office paper sprinkled with pepper. Don't waste your time on them.