• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help me chose a truck

Not big enough for towing. It's 5k dry weight. My Tahoe with a 4.8 V8 is just barely enough to tow all summer with since we have to climb some pretty serious mountains out here. And, I have to fit multiple people comfortably in the back seat. 

Backslide said:
What, no Tundra love?

The Nissan Titans are nice too but I don't hear much about those.
bfisher88 said:
Not big enough for towing. It's 5k dry weight. My Tahoe with a 4.8 V8 is just barely enough to tow all summer with since we have to climb some pretty serious mountains out here. And, I have to fit multiple people comfortably in the back seat. 

I'd go with the Silverado, i've just had better experience with them but that's me. The last time I drove a ford it felt like it sat too high for its own good and the tires wanted to squeek out under it. Brook loose easily and would put your head through the ceiling on a bump.The Silverado was a smooth ride. I felt like I could keep a hot cup of coffee in my lap and never spill it even on pot holes. This was 3-4 years ago so im sure its all different but it gave me a large distaste for the fords.

Always, always, always go bigger than you think you'll need for towing capacity/engine displacement.  When my ex and I lived in Spokane, her folks came out to visit towing their fifth wheel (30+ footer) with an F-150.  Forget which engine, but it was like the midsize truck V8.  I told them that wasn't going to be nearly enough truck for the job, and they should've gotten the F-250 with the 460.  Her dad just laughed it off and said it was plenty big enough.  :rolleyes:

They cracked the block just past the Montana line on their way back to Michigan.  And I do mean cracked.  Had their 5th wheel towed back to Spokane to park it in my yard.  Showed up a couple weeks later in an F-250.  With a 460.  :whistling:

This was before diesels became so common, but the rule still applies.  Go big or ya might not get home!

~Boar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQM_UmUsz_0, 
Download with AllDebrid
Not A Nice Person said:
Always, always, always go bigger than you think you'll need for towing capacity/engine displacement.  When my ex and I lived in Spokane, her folks came out to visit towing their fifth wheel (30+ footer) with an F-150.  Forget which engine, but it was like the midsize truck V8.  I told them that wasn't going to be nearly enough truck for the job, and they should've gotten the F-250 with the 460.  Her dad just laughed it off and said it was plenty big enough.  :rolleyes:

They cracked the block just past the Montana line on their way back to Michigan.  And I do mean cracked.  Had their 5th wheel towed back to Spokane to park it in my yard.  Showed up a couple weeks later in an F-250.  With a 460.  :whistling:

This was before diesels became so common, but the rule still applies.  Go big or ya might not get home!

~Boar

LOL nice, I do wonder if he had the smaller block in it. I had a Ram 1500 with the 5.9L 360 in it. It sucked gas like no other but it was a beast for pulling. Only problem I had was the trans but to be fair i was 20 and dumb and literally beat the hell out of that truck :whistling:  you woulda thought I was driving in NASTruck lol. But yeah not a bad idea to go a little bigger if he's hitting hills like that.

I know its irrelivent really but this still makes me laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQM_UmUsz_0

BlindedByScience said:

I've always liked Fords, but YMMV....
The Ford E4OD has it's share of problems too.

My ultimate truck for work/towing would be Toyota engineering, engine, and leather seats.
A Ford cab.
A Dodge suspension with a Dana rear.
Then the Allison transmission Chevrolet uses for heavy duty.

Every Ford I've owned has never needed any work. I'd go with Ford. 

I got it!! You should get this truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxkT2YhwHOk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My wife has a Silverado, I have a Sierra, both with nearly 200k miles. We've had no major issues, however, I'm OCD about maintenance. You can either pay your mechanic a little now or a lot later.

We don't haul anything heavy, just a couple of bass boats. Post pics when you get it!

This one gets my vote, everytime!

aev_brute_doublecab_utah_setting.jpg

That was also a $70,000 conversion last time I checked.  Some company might be mass-producing it now for a bit cheaper, though, I'm sure.  Still pretty bad-ass, though!  Wonder if the Frau would let me do that with her JK?

kann said:
That was also a $70,000 conversion last time I checked.  Some company might be mass-producing it now for a bit cheaper, though, I'm sure.  Still pretty bad-ass, though!  Wonder if the Frau would let me do that with her JK?

Yep, Brute conversion..............but like you said, very bad-ass!  If I had that kind of change, I'd do it in a heartbeat to my JKU.

I have a Tundra with the 5.7.  I haven't done a lot of towing/hauling yet, but during this latest snowstorm, the 4 wheel has been great!

bfreebern said:
This one gets my vote, everytime!

aev_brute_doublecab_utah_setting.jpg

Pfft thats a toy. Ben just buy this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic

Or THIS

image.jpg

The 6x6 Brabus G63S: a six-wheel-drive 700bhp Mercedes. 690bhp, 708lb ft of torque, and a 0-62mph time of 7.4 seconds. This, in a car weighing FOUR TONNES. Top speed is limited to, well, it doesn't matter - if something gets in your way, just destroy it (100mph, since you asked).
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/690bhp-Brabus-B63S-is-here-2013-09-11

Seriously if I where rich. Like lottery rich I would probably buy both and I would honestly drive the Brabus G63S.