• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help me Identify this box of Cohiba Esplendidos?

lakai

I recently had a baby boy, and to my surprise, my father gave me a box of Cohiba Esplendidos that hes been saving for a decade as long as I know. I am not ready to open this box yet, so sorry if I can not show you the inside. I haven't taken pictures yet, but will put them up as soon as I can.

Can someone tell me the date of these ? As well as where they came from ?

I remember my father going to honduras when i was about 12 years ago and he showed me, but I was too young to be interested. He is not really a smoker, but a collector, so these were packed in a coolerdoor hidden from me for awhile. Thanks for your help.
Here are the markings on the box and the reg #.

Bottom - EUN
UACC

Cert. Seal - AC 332195

Side - LA HABANA ESPLENDIDOS

DSC00286-small.JPG

DSC00291-small.JPG

DSC00289-small.JPG

DSC00290-small.JPG

DSC00292-small.JPG

DSC00293-small.JPG

DSC00294-small.JPG

DSC00295-small.JPG

DSC00297-small.JPG

According to the box code, those are from 04/99, which is a little odd given that it is using the new style of Cuban seal (which dates it at 2000 or later) -- some items of concern, though.

The "Habanos" chevron is in the wrong place (should be upper-right).

The Cuban seal is in the wrong place (it should be lower-left on this box)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but... color me skeptical on these.

I was thinking the same thing Moki. I do have to say one thing that seems trouble some is the clasp of the dress box. So I decided to pull out my box that I have of the Sublimes. The clasp on it has a black colored button with the head of the lady and Cohiba below it. But I haven't seen many dress boxes and especially ones with the Schmale clasp.

All the things that Moki mentioned. The seal has a code that applies to 2000 and later boxes. I'm afraid you almost certainly have a box of counterfeits.

But in this case, it is the thought that counts. BTW you should open it up to see if the cigars are even in smokable condition or they have been destroyed by beetles or mold.

Wilkey

Is it me or are we seeing more and more new people coming here to verify if their cigars are real? Have we become the definitive source, LOL on bogus cigars?

Is it me or are we seeing more and more new people coming here to verify if their cigars are real? Have we become the definitive source, LOL on bogus cigars?
Anthony,

I think your observations are spot on. However, it's not just this site. "Lakai" registered here on 2/10/07 and on ClubStogie on 2/9/07. Tapewormboy also took his authentication request to ClubStogie. In TWB's case, I'd be hesitant to drop the cost of a cab of Sig VI without knowing for sure about the vendor and authenticity. After the fact is too late in my opinion.

Lakai,

Please take a look at the underside of the clasp and tell us the words that are on it.

Wilkey

FAKE.

But I'm not sure I would tell him because his feeling will be hurt. But then again .. if the guy buys these for hiself.. well he'll need to be informed. Good Luck.

Anthony,

I think your observations are spot on. However, it's not just this site. "Lakai" registered here on 2/10/07 and on ClubStogie on 2/9/07. Tapewormboy also took his authentication request to ClubStogie. In TWB's case, I'd be hesitant to drop the cost of a cab of Sig VI without knowing for sure about the vendor and authenticity. After the fact is too late in my opinion.

Lakai,

Please take a look at the underside of the clasp and tell us the words that are on it.

Wilkey

Wilkey I hear you. It is unfortunate that so many out there do not heed the those words that are so often said here"know your source". If it seems like a bargain that is too good to pass up, say no thank you.

I'm also concerned with the actual wood used in the box, almost all boxes of Cohiba have solid sheets of wood and not plywood. YMMV

Wilkey I hear you. It is unfortunate that so many out there do not heed the those words that are so often said here"know your source". If it seems like a bargain that is too good to pass up, say no thank you.

I'm also concerned with the actual wood used in the box, almost all boxes of Cohiba have solid sheets of wood and not plywood. YMMV

That's exactly what I was looking at..evne if everything else (seals and such) fell into line....the box is not right!

Guys, I think the box and seals look pretty authentic. Its tough to tell on the box's construction without actually feeling it and examining it closely, but it doesn't look like cheap plywood. Also, I am no expert by any means, but the Habanos chevron and the warranty seal ARE in the correct places on the Esplendidos. Cohibas have the chevron upper left and warranty seal lower right because of where the "La Habana, Cuba" is written on the front (left side).

The clasp looks legit as well from the pics, what's written under it will tell more. Lastly, the only real discrepency that I can tell is with the font of "La Habana, Cuba." This may the old style but my box from '05 has a much different font. I'll post pics of my box in a little bit. And yes, it comes from a very reptuable source (My cousin in Miami, LOL!).

Big brother is watching us - didi didi, didi didi, didi didi, :laugh:

Brian

Guys, I think the box and seals look pretty authentic. Its tough to tell on the box's construction without actually feeling it and examining it closely, but it doesn't look like cheap plywood. Also, I am no expert by any means, but the Habanos chevron and the warranty seal ARE in the correct places on the Esplendidos. Cohibas have the chevron upper left and warranty seal lower right because of where the "La Habana, Cuba" is written on the front (left side).

Went to go check the humidor -- right you are, Young Smoke, though it depends on the type of Cohiba box. My bad. I still find it strange that the box code is from 99 but the seal is the nuevo 2000-style though...

Went to go check the humidor -- right you are, Young Smoke, though it depends on the type of Cohiba box. My bad. I still find it strange that the box code is from 99 but the seal is the nuevo 2000-style though...

Yes, it does depend on the box type. Siglos are the way you describe in your initial post. It is a little strange about the warranty and box codes not matching up. I don't think this means they are automatically fake however. Its possible Cuba could have printed the warranty seals early or that the box was re-affixed with the warranty seal at a later date before being shipped. Who knows with Habanos.....

Lakai, you should really open the box and take some pics. If they were bought in Honduras, I would really question their authenticity no matter how good the packaging and/or cigars look. My box:

P2140092.jpg

Can you rotate the box to see the composition of the lid?

According to the box code, those are from 04/99, which is a little odd given that it is using the new style of Cuban seal (which dates it at 2000 or later) -- some items of concern, though.

The "Habanos" chevron is in the wrong place (should be upper-right).

The Cuban seal is in the wrong place (it should be lower-left on this box)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but... color me skeptical on these.

http://havanajournal.com/cigars/cohibas-box

the seals are all correct, the quality of the box itself is just as good as my "for sure" authentic cohibas. Latch and everything is same as pictured in the above link. I've been lurking on these forums for quite awhile, so I know every box shown by anyone but a veteran member is almost automaticly considered a fake. I have collected and smoked quite a few 100% authentic cohibas for about 5 years now, and have always purchased from duty-free at airports, or in premium cigar shops, or 5 star hotels while traveling out of the country. I am not questioning the authenticity of this box as much as I am wondering the age. I've never had a box older than 2001 before that is why I am asking to see if anyone actually has a box to compare with, not just from what you read on in forums. All the information about boxcodes are mainly 2004 and up, and I definitly know they are older than that.

As for the date saying its from 04/99 and the new seal for 2000, I got this from cigar nexus.

"We here at CigarNexus.com cracked the new NETAGIDOCU code inside of a few months which threw Habanos S.A. into a frenzy to modify the codes yet again. In May of 1999, Habanos countered by shipping cigars with an even newer factory/date coding. However many of the factories did not implement these newer codes or started coding boxes with a hybrid code that was comprised of the old codes, the new codes we cracked, and the even newer codes. Needless to say, many of the Cuban box codes from 1999 still remain a mystery to most. Thankfully, Habanos S.A. seems to have adopted yet another, but easier to read format for all the date codes beginning in the Year 2000."

I know for many people that it is your sole joy to tell a guy he got suckered, and I can admit that it is quite fun doing that haha, but i'm not trying to debate about wether these are real or not, my question was about the date :] Thanks for all your input guys. I appreciate it.

P.S. Sorry if I come off as a jerk, having a newborn ( as many of you know ) takes away your sanity due to lack of sleep.

Yes, it does depend on the box type. Siglos are the way you describe in your initial post. It is a little strange about the warranty and box codes not matching up. I don't think this means they are automatically fake however. Its possible Cuba could have printed the warranty seals early or that the box was re-affixed with the warranty seal at a later date before being shipped. Who knows with Habanos.....

Lakai, you should really open the box and take some pics. If they were bought in Honduras, I would really question their authenticity no matter how good the packaging and/or cigars look. My box:

P2140092.jpg

your box looks exactly like mine, as for them being from honduras, i am not so sure of that. I just remember him buying cigars from there when i was younger. He might have bought these from somewhere else, I just think it would be rude of me question him about a box of cigars hes been saving for the birth of his first grandson, know what i mean ? The codes and seal threw me off too, I figure they do not automaticly seal and ship boxes the day they are packaged, but slap on the seals when they ship ?

See this is part I don't understand if you are as versed as you say, why ask why? Enjoy the cigars for what you think they are. If they have the taste profile that they should then they are what they are supposed to be.

No flame meant and I do not get my jollies in that fashion, so please don't take it as such.

I know for many people that it is your sole joy to tell a guy he got suckered, and I can admit that it is quite fun doing that haha, but i'm not trying to debate about wether these are real or not, my question was about the date :] Thanks for all your input guys. I appreciate it.

You should expect that when asking a question over the Internet. Go and ask your dad where he bought them, then go from there.

your box looks exactly like mine, as for them being from honduras, i am not so sure of that. I just remember him buying cigars from there when i was younger. He might have bought these from somewhere else, I just think it would be rude of me question him about a box of cigars hes been saving for the birth of his first grandson, know what i mean ? The codes and seal threw me off too, I figure they do not automaticly seal and ship boxes the day they are packaged, but slap on the seals when they ship ?

Without direct photo comparision of the boxes (side by side) it's tough to say....at this point it's still suspect.

Is the top 'inked' or 'burned' in?

Also - photo's of the cigars and box contents will help.