• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Herbs for fish recipies

djkojione

Hey guys!

I was wondering if you could help me out with some recs on herbs to use for pan frying fish fillets. In my garden, I have rosemary, thyme, chives and parsley. Anything else I should get?

what are some good combinations?

thanks everyone!!

Dill is definitely a good call. I really enjoy cilantro and a touch of mint. Great for ceviche.

Dill is a natural with fish...if not on the fish itself, then in a sauce. Last weekend, I took a shot at replicating a dish my wife had on our last trip to Homer: grilled halibut with a dill creme sauce. It wasn't a perfect match to the original but it was darned tasty.

In the dried herb department, I like to saute fish with Herbes de Provence.

Not an herb but capers work well with fish, especially salmon. Capers are a seriously under-used ingredament.

Dill is definitely a good call. I really enjoy cilantro and a touch of mint. Great for ceviche.

Cilantro is a good call for almost anything. If you are pan frying you want to be careful not to burn the herbs. Think of herbs like lemon grass and other non-traditionals, such as spicy basil.

Oh yeah.....GARLIC

Bacon

Bacon wrapped fish

Bacon wrapped fish stuffed with bacon

Bacon, bacon, bacon!!!!

Seriously though, it depends on what kind of fish and how simple or exotic you want to go. Whether you're going to marinate or not.

A mild white fish breaded with flour seasoned with salt and pepper and sauteed in butter is good or for something a little different-

CURRIED MONKFISH WITH MANGO

Clarified butter 1 fl. oz.

Monkfish, 2 lbs

Onions, thinly sliced 6½ oz.

Fresh ginger, minced 1 Tbsp.

Jalapeño, seeded and minced 1 Tbsp.

Curry powder 2 Tbsp.

Chicken stock 8 fl. oz.

Cornstarch 2 Tbsp.

Water 1 Tbsp.

Coconut milk 4 fl. oz.

Fresh mango, diced 4 oz.

Cilantro, chopped coarse 1 Tbsp.

Salt and pepper TT

Granulated sugar TT

Basmati rice, steamed as needed for garnish

1 Heat the clarified butter in a sauté pan. Add the Monkfish and sauté until just cooked. Remove the Monkfish from the pan and reserve.

2 In the same pan, sauté the onions for approximately 3 minutes or until wilted and slightly golden on the edges. Add the ginger, jalapeño and curry powder and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.

3 Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Bring the stock mixture to a boil, then whisk a small amount of the slurry into the liquid. Continue adding slurry slowly until the sauce is the desired thickness.

4 Add the coconut milk, mango, cilantro and Monkfish to the pan. Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar and simmer to combine the flavors, approximately 1 minute. Serve the curry with steamed basmati rice.