• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hmm...Start Pipe Smoking?

How moist was the tobacco? If you pressed a bunch together did it stay in the clump when you released the pressure? The clump should come apart on its own.
Aromatics, by their nature, will be higher in moisture than non-aromatics because of the flavoring and because of
the PG added to maintain that moisture.
The sequence in lighting is: move the flame over the surface of the tobacco while taking small rapid puffs. The tobacco will ignite and rise above the bowl. Tamp it back to level (gently) and relight while taking longer, deeper puffs, again moving the flame over the surface of the tobacco.
Relighting is common, even for experienced smokers. Being able to get only 2 puffs tells me that either the charring light (the first one) was insufficient, or the second one was. That, or the tobacco is so moist that it's
reluctant to burn.

As far as that $29 tobacco is concerned, that would be a reasonable price online for a POUND of high-grade tobacco, and even that would be high. What was he pricing at that level? :whistling: :0

Ok, I got a straight Ozark at my B&M. Also got some tobacco the owner recommended...
It is aromatic, Smoker's Pride Vanilla. They only had one non-aromatic and it was $29!
My first experience was horrible. I could only get 2 puffs and it would go out. I did the three pack method.

I would first ask how the draw was. I've smoked tobacco thats near impossible to burn aka Amazon at 7% Nicotine. When its fresh its a PITA to keep lit unless you pack it just right. And even then, that doesn't mean it will stay lit. Once it dries it stays lit pretty well. The only tobacco that has really given me a challenge to keep lit.

So I have to ask again...how was the draw as if its to loose you will have problems and if its to tight, you will have problems. I have found that every tobacco has a "sweet spot" for packing. :thumbs:

The draw was pretty easy and the moisture seemed about right (pinch test).

Maybe my lighting technique was bad.
psyktek mentioned...1st light small short puffs until the tobacco rises above the bowl.
2nd light longer puffs, how long should the flame be held on the tobacco durring these two lights?

Not sure what the $29 tobacco was, has a sail boat picture on it and it was only 1/2lb.

The draw was pretty easy and the moisture seemed about right (pinch test).

Right there is part of the problem. Actually a huge one....the draw was pretty easy you say. Next time pack it so its a medium draw and watch that baby stay lit. Sits its a little moist, this will probably take care of it. Once it dries out, you don't need to pack it so tight. :D

hmm, ok. I tamped it pretty hard I thought. A full bowl changed to a half or less after tamping.

I'm assuming that you tamped it before it was lit? If so, that was way too loose to start with. When the bowl is
fully packed, it should just have a slight 'springiness' to it when you press it down. My second, and later tamps (not with a finger this time :0 ) comes when the smoke output starts to slack off. Any tamping after the pipe is lit should be done very gently, puffing gently while you do it. This brings burning tobacco in contact with unburned.
The test draw should be similar to 'sipping water thru a straw' (I borrowed that from somewhere). :D

You could also start with 1/3 of a bowl for the first 2 or 3. This helps build bottom cake. Then 1/2 bowl and finally a full bowl from then on.

Ok Ok...I will do something very odd. I will take pictures as a step by step guide and post it on here. Its not exactly easy to express how it is done in words when it is easier to just show you. Maybe you will get an idea what I am trying to explain. :thumbs:

I guess I will do a more extensive one later on next week so I can do it right. But uploading the pictures I took and hope it helps. :thumbs:

You Tube has a few videos on the Frank Method, also sometimes referred to as the "German" method.
I've started paking my pipe this way and I am having much better results. I can't imagine switching to better tobacco hurt either.

This is the short version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz166mYFiVM

There are three more videos, but they go into MUCH greater detail, by Mr. Frank himself, or at least German guy named Frank. He gets his point across.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJP0JaNRw6Q

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U5QbtyNxhA

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMtHOAiO8CI

-Rob

-Edited for correct links

Thanks for the links Rob, they were very helpful. Thanks to Mr Peat too for the write up thread, that helped a lot too.

I will try the Frank Method next...

Well, tried the Frank method with the same results.

It didn't even taste good when I actually did get some smoke. Guess I should expect that for $3 tobacco?

I will try it again but don't know what else to do, I followed that Frank guy on youtube perfectly.

Ive been smoking for 1 1/2 years now,
and i remember my first time smoking a pipe, what a pain in the butt.
trust me though it only gets better, and if you stick with it, you will have no problems keeping your pipe lit.
just keep alot of matches on hand, you will need them.

I too have been thinking about picking upa pipe. This has been very informative for me, thanks to everyone.

How to choose a preferable tobacco? It is not easy!
This site helps you make a careful choice of tobbaco before you'll buy the tins -
The samples of pipe tobacco of the famous producers:
www.tobaccosamples.com

How to choose a preferable tobacco? It is not easy!
This site helps you make a careful choice of tobbaco before you'll buy the tins -
The samples of pipe tobacco of the famous producers:
www.tobaccosamples.com

It's an interesting idea, but a 10g sample is 1/5th of a tin, and the prices shown are about 50% of the tin price charged at many online retailers. Even at my local B&M, it's still about 30% of the price of a full tin.

Do some research (www.tobaccoreviews.com), get an idea of what might appeal to you, and if you can't stand it at first, jar it up (to preserve moisture) put it aside and see what you think about it in a year or two after your tastes have firmed up/developed.

Just my.02.

It is the sound decision.
In addition, I want to advise, to not confine within one blend.
You should alternate your favourite blends for fear of palling its taste (IMHO).

---------------------
0979_3lo.jpg

I agree, samplers are a good direction to take when first starting out. Here are a couple of other links to vendors who deal in samplers.

Pipes & Cigars

Cornell & Diehl

Now, the second link is to their own site, but they offer a couple of other lines as well. Plus, they are nice folks to talk to, so you could call and explain your preferrences and they'd be happy to recommend some of their blends to you.

Happy piping!

Well, it finally got nice out yesterday. Alan posted a thread in the CP Project section about packing/lighting a pipe. I followed him exactly and got great results, best so far. The entire bowl only took 1 re-light when there was about 1/3 left at 20-25 min in.

Now I just need to save and get some better tobacco than the free Altadis samples I got :)

Anyone have a recommendation on an inexpensive but quality blend that a new pipe smoker should try?

Thanks again Alan!

Dan

"Anyone have a recommendation on an inexpensive but quality blend that a new pipe smoker should try?"

Carter Hall.

Carter Hall

Lane 1Q

Altidas Voodoo Queen

Prince Albert

And one I have not tried, but have heard good things about- Walnut