• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Holt's announces Padilla's demise?

Wow ... this has been a very interesting thread. As a more "casual" member of this forum, I don't post a lot. But, I have learned two valuable things in this discussion:

1) Even though I have ordered quite a bit from Holt's, I will not anymore. The language used in their catalog regarding Padilla was low class and out of line. There is no excuse - someone should be held accountable.

2) Ernesto Padilla, in addition to being a first-class cigar business man, is a gentleman. I have no doubt that his cigars will continue to be top-notch.

As someone who was once a vital part of a corporate machine, I understand the dynamics of the situation between Pepin and Padilla. It is what it is. I wish the best for both of them. They have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into their product. I look forward to smoking more of their fine cigars.

You took the words right out of my mouth....or keyboard.

I was attracted to cigars for several reasons, one of which was a certain "civility" I associated with them. This Holt's/Padilla thing has left a taste in my mouth as bad as any dog rocket I have ever smoked. Holt's attack on Padilla was disgusting, while Ernesto Padilla conducted himself as a gentleman and I wish him continued success.
Holt's is on my "Don't Buy From" list and I'll contact them and tell them why.

Jim

I called them earlier today to have my name removed from their catalog and email lists and told them why. Spoke with a person named Dawn who is apparently being directed all calls about this. She said she understood my feelings, kept agreeing with everything I was saying, and said that a lot of people had been offended.

She didn't offer a defense until I specifically asked if there was an official stance, to which she referred me to Sathya's apology.

She did seem genuine and understanding of how this made the company look.

Seems like Holt's is not the only retailer to do a close out on Padillas...

Famous Padilla Miami 8/11
Famous Padilla 1932

Those are some pretty impressive prices and the words discontinued are also attention getting.

Apparently, Famous was also buying into the "demise" of Padilla a bit prematurely..

The entire line is no longer listed as discontinued. Strange how quickly rumors like this can spread.

Dennis~

The only thing that matters, and that we all agree upon, was that the catalog prose was unprofessional and completely inappropriate.
The sad thing is that the language and tone of the Holt's catalog has taken on an increasingly fantastical tone. It's become almost like reading a flyer for a carnival sideshow. In this respect, I think they've surpassed even the JR Cigars catalogs. In this evolving context, it doesn't seem all that out of place...and maybe that's the bigger problem.

Wilkey

While I agree that the overall tone of these things is less professional than they once were I disagree that this compares with JR. I find those cat's to actually be entertaining and written to be funny. This Holts offering was just nasty.

I posted about this on CF as Andrew did and I repeat here that I call BS on the apology and reasoning and bigwigs throwing spin and explanations around. It just doesn't fly to me and sounds like closing the barn door after the horse already got out. Someone f'd up here big time. It was either totally on purpose or partially on purpose but no one can convince me this was an "oops, we overlooked that".

I'm gunna' pour myself four more fingers of scotch and grab another Peroni and read this WHOLE thread again, but what I REALLY will do is buy a box of the new Padilla's when they come out!!!