• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

home defense shotgun

BlindedByScience said:

Just buy a 1911 and be done with it...

...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!....

Hey now, no religious arguments here.... :p

A friend of mine who did a sandbox stint with Blackwater used to say that some liked Glocks and some liked the 1911 . . . 

. . . but professionalalways carried a Sig.  :cool:

~Boar

I have both the 10/22 and the S&W M&P15-22 and both are as awesome as they are fun. I do like the 15-22 as it mimics an AR in everyway (parts are mostly interchangable as well!) and is fun to practice/train with. I'm constantly surprised at how accurate it is too... not as much so as a tricked out 10/22, but good enough for most of my uses. I used to shoot the crap out of both, as it was way cheaper, but nowadays it's easier to find .223 than 22lr! crazy...

goofing off with the 15-22 - 4" steel targets about 35 yards out
http://vimeo.com/73591113

or

trying to get a watermelon to explode with the .22 version of Exploding Targets. Sadly, the bullet lost too much velocity going thru the melon, as well as pushing down in the water, to set off the exploding target. So we improvised...
https://vimeo.com/111304610

and yeah... Glock./1911 - why not both? :thumbs:

oh... and since we're in a thread for home defense shotties... here's mine
https://vimeo.com/86668923

drunkfish3 said:

....no

Getting a Handgun permit is a pain almost $500 and around 7 months.
...not everywhere.
Yes well in the my county in ny it does.

And that permit only allows you to own one, right?  It's not for CCW, is it?

If cops can't #$@& up an 870, no one can!!  I have shot them for years and have NEVER had an issue.  They feed when the for end is cranked and the business end does the rest.  I agree with the 20 ga for women or just for less recoil.  Have the barrel cut down to the legal limit and use either 2 3/4 or 3" shells.  I'll say this, a bar ill of idiots were brought to silence when we cycled the action on our 12 ga 870's!!!  And if I recall correctly, a faint odor of chit filled the air!

Either way, make sure yer wife is of the mindset to "stop" the threat, if it arises, otherwise get a ball bat!  Nothing personal, just the same thought I've thrown out to many folks over the years.  If ya aint ready to pull the trigger, don't introduce a gun into the fight!

Just my unrequested .02 cents!

Floyd T.

Thanks as of right now my wife is ok with me getting one but as intrest in learning how to use it. Hopefully in the future that will change.

Not A Nice Person said:

Just buy a 1911 and be done with it...

...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!...Glock!....1911!....

Hey now, no religious arguments here.... :p

A friend of mine who did a sandbox stint with Blackwater used to say that some liked Glocks and some liked the 1911 . . . 

. . . but professionalalways carried a Sig.  :cool:

~Boar

Aye, but I'd happily carry the Beretta again if it was worked the way the operators' Sigs were!

I've got a Springfield 1911, assorted Glocks, a Beretta 92FS in the safe, and I used to own a Sig P220.

I figure I'm covered no matter what the argument...... :p

I have a Springfield TRP, which is the 1911 I've pretty much always wanted.  About five or six years ago (it was in Arkansas, so it had to be at least five) I gave a lot of contemplation to both the Glock and the Smith M&P.  The M&P 45c won out for a new everyday carry piece.  It just felt better to me than the Glock.  I still want a G19, though.  Like a 1911 and Fishy's Remington 870 (don't let him fool anyone... he's going to get the 870), every well-stocked safe should have a Glock G19.  It's a staple firearm.  

I've got a Springfield "Operator" that I like very much.  Almost unused (less than a couple hundred rounds), got that on a 'good buddy' deal from a guy that I couldn't refuse.  G21, G23, and G26 all live here, too.

I still shoot my 'old school' Gen1 G21 better than any other autoloader in the safe....but I'm working on it..... :cool:   It's got a KKM barrel and the stock 5lb connector with Meprolight sights up top.  Seems to fit my moose hands very nicely.

BlindedByScience said:
I've got a Springfield "Operator" that I like very much.  

We got ourselves a high roller over here!   :D

I used to have a S&W 686-plus that I couldn't turn down when I was offered it on a "good buddy deal".  I miss that revolver, but it helped pay for the TRP.  Even today I'm not in a financial position for an Operator.  A 642 filled the space of the 686, eventually, and it was more practical.

I own the Mossberg shown in your original post, including the breaching barrel.  I've outfitted mine with a folding tactical stock, which is better for close quarters, like you might want for home defense.  I love mine, but wouldn't say it's any better than a Remington. 

Better late than never.  My 2 cents on the subject.  A shotgun for home defense is just that.  If you want to trick out a gun get another one.  There are two schools of thought on shotguns.  Shoot first or scare them away with the sound of racking your gun. I'm of the shoot first train of thought and a 12 gage side by side with a cut down barrel ...say 12" will do. If you need 5 or 7 shots then you need to learn to shoot better. No intruder is going to stick around waiting for the second blast if you happen to miss them with the first.  I bought mine at a pawn shop because I knew I was going to cut it down, no questions asked, no paperwork, no background check.  Cash and out the door. YMMV.

I also have a double barrel 12g with rabbit ears that I used when shooting single action with a gun club. Even though it doesn't have the intimidation of the racking, slamming the breach closed and the click of the hammers can still be powerful.

AVB said:
Better late than never.  My 2 cents on the subject.  A shotgun for home defense is just that.  If you want to trick out a gun get another one.  There are two schools of thought on shotguns.  Shoot first or scare them away with the sound of racking your gun. I'm of the shoot first train of thought and a 12 gage side by side with a cut down barrel ...say 12" will do. If you need 5 or 7 shots then you need to learn to shoot better. No intruder is going to stick around waiting for the second blast if you happen to miss them with the first.  I bought mine at a pawn shop because I knew I was going to cut it down, no questions asked, no paperwork, no background check.  Cash and out the door. YMMV.

You had to go and remind me . . .   :p

SERBU2&1v3%20800x600_1.jpg

Serbu (and probably quite a few other companies out there) makes these out of Mossberg Lowriders and pistol grip Remington 870s . . . two in the mag, one in the chamber, and I'm told with practice you can get the hang of using the 'kick' (which I'm sure is pretty considerable!) to chamber the next round.  Forward handle works the pump.  When these first came out there was a $12 fee for the stamp to own one.  I don't know enough about gun laws to know what an "Any Other Weapon" stamp is, but that's apparently what's required.

Of course, cutting down a pawn shop find is more . . . private.  Until you actually have to use it!  ;)

~Boar

Nice looking but it is $1050, I think mine cost me $85 and that includeds the saw blades and file.

Swissy said:
oh... and since we're in a thread for home defense shotties... here's mine
https://vimeo.com/86668923

Great videos Jim!