• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Homemade Limoncello / Grapefruit Cello?

Greggj77

Hello All,

My Brother in Law recently came back from the Amalfi Coast and brought back some limoncello. I had never really thought much of it, as the stuff in the past was way too sweet/artificial for my liking. A few weekends back, I had a Homemade burger and a nice glass of Cab then figured I would try some chilled limoncello. I have to say it hit the spot, I was really impressed. This was fresh, tart and strong enough to keep my attention. Anyhow, I went looking for the bottle he brought back and couldn't find and distro. I ended up on forums where folks make their own. It sounds super easy and worth the time. Have any fellow CP'ers made any, are there some recipe's that you've used? I plan on making 2 batched a Lemon and Grapefruit.

I have both batches of Lemon and Grapefruit peels bathing in everclear and vodka. I will need to figure out the sugar/proof in a couple weeks as i do not want it overly sweet.

I'm looking at this recipe. Any suggestions for sugar and proofing?

https://blog.williams-sonoma.com/how-to-make-limoncello/

If you want to get the sweetness to your preference, I would make a batch of simple syrup and just keep adding some and tasting until it’s good. The final proof shouldn’t be a major concern. These drinks are also best served cold so you should store the liquor and syrup in the fridge before mixing.

I got my recipe from Doc and it tastes great. If you ask nicely he may give it to you.

I always have a bottle in the freezer...because you never know. You need just the right amount of sugar to offset the tartness of the citrus...and simple syrup is the way to go! The old timers I knew used sugar cane for the sweetness. But that was a perfected method they learned over many, many years that I never attempted.

No vodka please and use 190 proof Everclear. Limoncello should have a kick, but no vodka taste. And don't tell me vodka doesn't taste, it does. Tastes like vodka. If you're serious, I'd be happy to share the recipe I use.

Doc
Hello All,

My Brother in Law recently came back from the Amalfi Coast and brought back some limoncello. I had never really thought much of it, as the stuff in the past was way too sweet/artificial for my liking. A few weekends back, I had a Homemade burger and a nice glass of Cab then figured I would try some chilled limoncello. I have to say it hit the spot, I was really impressed. This was fresh, tart and strong enough to keep my attention. Anyhow, I went looking for the bottle he brought back and couldn't find and distro. I ended up on forums where folks make their own. It sounds super easy and worth the time. Have any fellow CP'ers made any, are there some recipe's that you've used? I plan on making 2 batched a Lemon and Grapefruit.

I have both batches of Lemon and Grapefruit peels bathing in everclear and vodka. I will need to figure out the sugar/proof in a couple weeks as i do not want it overly sweet.

I'm looking at this recipe. Any suggestions for sugar and proofing?

https://blog.williams-sonoma.com/how-to-make-limoncello/

Last edited:
I could only find 150 proof everclear, I bought 2 handles. I ended up with extra peels for one and made a third batch I needed a little more alcohol so I ended up topping the last batch with titos vodka just to cover the peels. It has a couple more weeks to soak. I was thinking a simple syrup like the recipe above. Doc, I would love your recipe. PM incoming.

This recipe is really no secret. From what I gather it's about as authentic as it gets. It's pretty simple actually, lemon oil, syrup, and ETOH. Nothing to screw up.

Ingredients:
1 liter (1000 ml) Everclear alcohol 190 proof.
10 medium to large lemons*
1 1/2 liters water (6 1/3 cups)
3 pounds granulated sugar (6 1/2 cups)

* Choose thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest. The lemons must be yellow and not tinted with green.

Instructions:
Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry. Using a potato peeler, take all the lemon rinds off of the lemons so there is no white pith on the peel. Place the rind-peelings in a large container with the Everclear alcohol. Cover the container and let it sit for seven days.
On the eight day, strain the the peels from alcohol; discard peels.

In a large saucepan, make a Basic Simple Syrup by combining the water and sugar; let it simmer "fast" for 15 minutes. Let simple syrup cool to room temperature. Add to alcohol.
You are now finished and can drink it right away, after chilling of course.
Makes about 2 1/2 liters.

Last edited:
Hank....I'm a little confused on the peeling part. You're using just the thin yellow part of the skin?...with no white meat attached to it?...and you're not using any of the meaty part of the lemon?

Thanks...

Hank....I'm a little confused on the peeling part. You're using just the thin yellow part of the skin?...with no white meat attached to it?...and you're not using any of the meaty part of the lemon?

Thanks...
No pith. No meaty part. No Juice. You'll have to make lemonade.:rolleyes:
I have a vegetable peeler made by Oxo that just takes off the peel. It's a wonderful thing.

Doc

This recipe is really no secret. From what I gather it's about as authentic as it gets. It's pretty simple actually, lemon oil, syrup, and ETOH. Nothing to screw up.

Ingredients:
1 liter (1000 ml) Everclear alcohol 190 proof.
10 medium to large lemons*
1 1/2 liters water (6 1/3 cups)
3 pounds granulated sugar (6 1/2 cups)

* Choose thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest. The lemons must be yellow and not tinted with green.

Instructions:
Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry. Using a potato peeler, take all the lemon rinds off of the lemons so there is no white pith on the peel. Place the rind-peelings in a large container with the Everclear alcohol. Cover the container and let it sit for seven days.
On the eight day, strain the the peels from alcohol; discard peels.

In a large saucepan, make a Basic Simple Syrup by combining the water and sugar; let it simmer "fast" for 15 minutes. Let simple syrup cool to room temperature. Add to alcohol.
You are now finished and can drink it right away, after chilling of course.
Makes about 2 1/2 liters.

Thanks for posting it! Would you mind posting the exact peeler you have? I searched amazon and they have different designs made by OXO.

Thanks for posting Doc.

I have mine sitting in Everclear 151. I couldn't find the 190 proof. The recipe I posted above is very similar. However, it calls for the peels to macerate for 5weeks, not 1. The higher alcohol content could break down the peels quicker. Mine have been soaking for about 3 weeks. I figure more time with the peels could only help. BTW i popped the top and the alcohol smells great. I will probably let it sit until this weekend and add the simple syrup.

I'll most certainly post my thoughts once I get to try it.

Finally got mines done yesterday. I'm trying two different batches, one is Doc's and the other is from a guy I found on youtube that claims that his is an "authentic Limoncello Recipe from southern Italy." I broke down both recipes in half and only used one bottle of 190 proof Everclear.

I have a feeling that I'll probably have to add some water to the recipe from youtube because it looks like the alcohol content will be crazy, at least 115 proof when everything is said and done. Instead of the simple syrup, he used the juice from the lemons and honey.

Here's the recipe:

full

Damn it, now I'm going to have to make some. But first, I want Hank to make a How to Video! I wish I had this Grandma growing up:

This also reminds me, that I need to make another limoncello torte, but use the real limoncello.

Last edited:
The Limoncello that I can get at the liquor store is just a pale reminder of the real thing. My grandmother was a bootlegger. By all accounts she knew what she was doing. She never admitted to this, but never denied it either. By the time I came around, she was a church lady. She went to Mass every day, to repent for her sins, evidently.

Doc
Finally got mines done yesterday. I'm trying two different batches, one is Doc's and the other is from a guy I found on youtube that claims that his is an "authentic Limoncello Recipe from southern Italy." I broke down both recipes in half and only used one bottle of 190 proof Everclear.

I have a feeling that I'll probably have to add some water to the recipe from youtube because it looks like the alcohol content will be crazy, at least 115 proof when everything is said and done. Instead of the simple syrup, he used the juice from the lemons and honey.

Here's the recipe:

full
It's supposed to have a kick.:D At 115 proof yours should.

Damn it, now I'm going to have to make some. But first, I want Hank to make a How to Video! I wish I had this Grandma growing up:

This also reminds me, that I need to make another limoncello torte, but use the real limoncello.

I watched that video as well! I watched a bunch of them yesterday. Also, this one looks great from the same guy I posted before: Crema di Limoncello

The Limoncello that I can get at the liquor store is just a pale reminder of the real thing. My grandmother was a bootlegger. By all accounts she knew what she was doing. She never admitted to this, but never denied it either. By the time I came around, she was a church lady. She went to Mass every day, to repent for her sins, evidently.

Doc

It's supposed to have a kick.:D At 115 proof yours should.

I don't mind a kick! But I just assumed that it shouldn't be that high because your recipe dilutes the alcohol by 75% making the final proof to about 47.5

Just a little update. I finished the maceration process and added the sugar water over the weekend. As patience is not my strong suit, I had to sample them. Both tasted phenomenal but, the Grapefruit was a cut above. The other recipe I was using says to store in a cool dark place for up to 5 weeks to allow the ingredients to marry. I plan to enjoy but, will note here if there is any appreciable difference due to the resting phase.

All in all, it was a fun little project that I would recommend for anyone who enjoys crafting there own goodies and is looking for a nice summer beverage.