• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Honey Porters and Sweet Stouts

5 O'Clock Somewhere

I realized I've really never had anything besides typical stouts and porters. I like Anchor Porter, Guinness Stout, and St. Arnold Stout (small Texas micro, some of you may have had it, they also make a kick ass lawnmower) a lot, but there are a lot of interesting ones out there. I know Sam Adams has a Honey Porter and a lot of other breweries make one too.

I'm interested in trying a good Honey Porter and a good Sweet Stout, so tell me your favorites if you've got any!

Do you mean that you've never drank any other beer style besides stouts and porters (no lagers, ales, etc.)? Or that all the stouts and porters you've had have been "typical" in composition?

Yes, that's what I mean, but I've been hearing a lot about this Keystone Light stuff! Haha, just kidding. No, I meant those are the only porters and stouts (respectively) that I've had on any kind of consistent basis. I'm looking specifically for Honey Porters and Sweet/Milk Stouts, or any other porters/stouts along the same lines.

edit in bold

Do you mean that you've never drank any other beer style besides stouts and porters (no lagers, ales, etc.)? Or that all the stouts and porters you've had have been "typical" in composition?

You should try Young's Double Chocolate Stout.
It goes great with a Padron 1964 or 1926.

Mackeson XXX is a milk stout that should be widely available. It's a UK brand that is brewed under license somewhere in the US and I've seen it all over the place.

That's the only sweet stout I've tried, but I liked it quite a lot. It's rated 94 on ratebeer, so others seem to agree.

I realized I've really never had anything besides typical stouts and porters. I like Anchor Porter, Guinness Stout, and St. Arnold Stout (small Texas micro, some of you may have had it, they also make a kick ass lawnmower) a lot, but there are a lot of interesting ones out there. I know Sam Adams has a Honey Porter and a lot of other breweries make one too.

I'm interested in trying a good Honey Porter and a good Sweet Stout, so tell me your favorites if you've got any!
[/quote]
[/quote]
Ditto on the Young's Double Chocolate, and if you want to try something with more "ooomph", try Sammy Smith's Imperial Stout or Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. Both are a bit stronger than your typical Guiness (and double the ABV%), and are especially good this time of year when it's frigid outside (though you're probably not getting this weather down where you are).

I'll make a point to pick up a few 6 packs next time I'm out. Those imperial stouts sound pretty enticing too... wouldn't mind an ass kicking tonight haha.

While its not a sweet stout, Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is damn good!! I would imagine it would go quite well with a Padron 1926 !

I'd second the Mackeson, it's a classic example of a sweet stout. I don't know if Left Hand makes it to Texas, but their Milk Stout is really tasty.
I used to enjoy Sheaf Stout from Australia, but I haven't seen it in this part of the country in a while.

I've got to agree on the Young's Double Chocolate Stout...probably my favorite. Just make sure you get the bottle and not the cans! Also Rogue's Chocolate Stout is really good. Not quite as heavy as the Young's, but still really good. As has already been mentioned, the Padron '26's are an excellent pairing with these.

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is pretty good but I have to agree Young's and Rogue's are some nice Chocolate Stouts! :thumbs:

I also had the Sam Adams Holiday Porter and that was really good!

I had a Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery the other day that was outstanding! It had just enough sweetness from the vanilla but still had the Porter characteristics...plus it was very smooth.

I've had the Honey Porter from Sam Adams and thought it was decent and I'll agree on the Youngs Double Chocolate Stout...good stuff.

I had a Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery the other day that was outstanding! It had just enough sweetness from the vanilla but still had the Porter characteristics...plus it was very smooth.

I've had the Honey Porter from Sam Adams and thought it was decent and I'll agree on the Youngs Double Chocolate Stout...good stuff.

Good call on the Vanilla Porter, that is some good sheet!

I was just gifted some Breckenridge from a fine BOTL here. I am awaiting something worthy to return fire...

I had the Vanilla Porter out of a bottle last night and was not that impressed...the first time I had it was on draught and it was amazing of course I think all beers are better straight from a tap instead of a bottle.

I've really been getting into these beers lately. Our local brewery has a seasonal on tap right now called Sexual Chocolate.

Its an Imperial Stout that is Double Fermented. Second fermantation is done with a really good type of cocoa. Its DAYAM good. High Gravity too.

look up Foothills Brewery, Sexual Chocolate

I've really been getting into these beers lately. Our local brewery has a seasonal on tap right now called Sexual Chocolate.

Its an Imperial Stout that is Double Fermented. Second fermantation is done with a really good type of cocoa. Its DAYAM good. High Gravity too.

I hate you! That's one of the most sought after beers around Erick, partly because they limit the release of the bottles I believe, but also because it is according to most accounts a fantastic beer. I don't supposed they do growler fills with it?

While its not a sweet stout, Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is damn good!! I would imagine it would go quite well with a Padron 1926 !

I agree on this one. This is one of my all time favorites, I just wish I could find it here in the armpit of Ohio.

I hate you! That's one of the most sought after beers around Erick, partly because they limit the release of the bottles I believe, but also because it is according to most accounts a fantastic beer. I don't supposed they do growler fills with it?

Nope, not yet anyways. I'm trying to get in good with the guys there so maybe I have a little more access to this stuff. Next time I make a big batch of Jerky, guess who is getting a few pounds! Mr Brewmaster! :thumbs:

But yeah, its a GREAT friggin beer. Rumor has it too that there are some Kegs stashed away that can be purchased, but you have to talk to the guys directly and talk them into it.