• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hosting a pass and need a greenhorn for experience!

Hey Jonesy....I think I might have missed the left turn at Albaquerky.......
I thought you were doing a pretty cool thing for us noobs. I really hadn't given any thought to even getting involved in the pass system until your post. If you are still offering, I meet the qualifications. I offer for my example of worthiness the fact that after years of complaining about my husband smoking cigars, I finally broke down this Fall and tried one. I'm now one of Rocky's biggest fans! In addition, I offer that not long after my husband bought a beautiful 150ct humidor....I decided to (with the unbelievable help of a local shop) purchase a Montigue 1500 ct humidor that he has been drooling over, and surprising him with it for his Christmas present. (Partially because I wanted a place to store my own collection too!!!!) My reason for telling you all this is that we need to fill it!!!! LOL

Now, having said all that......If you're not offering after all the abuse you just received (and I wouldn't blame ya much)...have a great New Year and don't let a couple of bad stoagies ruin your day. Thanks for the intent.

So the rude strike again...I was appalled at the response for Jonesy's consideration to possibly provide a spot one of many passes that historically has been what this newb has deemed "out of my league" - due to my inability to either run down to the local rip-off B&M (that doesn't get high end stuff) or even smart shop online for thirty to fourty dollar single cigars. I am sure that there are newbs on this site that can afford to do that- but not this one. Yes I'm proud to say that I shop at the thrift store sites and pick up deals on cigars, they seem to taste better when ya pay half price or more for em. I've got a couple large humidors now over filled with what I consider to be good cigars that I enjoy.
So one of my co-worker CP friends called me tonight, excited as hell, tellin' me about Jonesy's pass and that he was goin' to give it a shot- hoping to be accepted as the one chosen for the pass. (and yes the guy is a d.i.n.k. and can afford it, and has connections, etc.) He was even wanting to do his own pass, but yours truly has discouraged it, urging him to wait until he had been involved in a newb pass or a hot potato pass, etc. at least until he had some experience under his belt. For there is an element of those here who tend to bag on those who attempt to make this place enjoyable and interesting or those who stick their foot in their mouth by using poor grammar or spelling, etc. Looks like I'll have to urge him to read further down to the bottom of this thread... bummer. Getting a spot as a greenhorn newb in Jonesy's pass would be like getting a seat at the World of Poker Tournament without competing. So yes a little excitement and buzz from the newbs would be expected.
Since my affiliation with this site, I have been a self induced promo guy for CP, and have through my limited excitement hooked up several with this site, and was about to get one more at work... or at least i was....
So as I get off my cigar box, I'll close with a good observation about CP- looks like the crap is thrown at those at the top as well as the bottom.... you just never know if it's wet and gonna stick- or dry and bounce off. Yes, this- as the others in the past have had - is my opinion and "how I see it".

I will be hosting another pass in earlier March and was going to open one spot for a new newbie to prove himself.
Rules:
1) You can't have participated in a pass already
2) You must have less than 6 months on the board
3) Post count doesn't matter but you must be an active member.
4) You must tell me and the board why you are worthy of getting into my pass.
5) 1 entry per member
6) You must have your reason posted in this thread by Jan 20th
7) I am the judge, jury, and executioner so no bitching whining or anything else of that nature.

Good Luck!

Wow. This seems very pompous to me for someone who's been here less than a year.
Perceptions vary, I guess,

Doc.

Right on Doc! I think there are just a few here that seem to have a problem with all that he seems to do. Talking to Brian behind the scenes, I know that he does it just because he loves this place and the concept behind it. It's not because he thinks he can buy his respect, if that's what is being implied.

I sure hope that after a few years on the board, I don't get this sense of self entitlement that a few seem to have. Making it appear that a year here is more important than what one has learned. Or, that the relationships built, respect earned, and showing knowledge of the rules here does not mean anything until you have been here for a couple of years.
Oh sure, everyone is entitled to different opinions, but I don't see the point of being downright RUDE about it.

To those of you that replied to this thread in hopes of joining the pass, I apologize, but since I seem to offend people with my presence here, I won't be having it.

Sounds like the easy way out, Jonesy.

Let me tell you what I see here. You have or will quietly invite some set of members to join your pass. You reserve one spot to include someone with no previous experience in a pass - laudable. THEN you invite the newer guys to grovel for the priviledge, like kids competing for the open chair at the big table. It just seems demeaning to me.
Certainly wasn't meant to be as you perceived it Bruce. I wouldn't hold a public "demeaning session" for a bunch of new guys. I did it because they are new and I don't know them, so I wanted to see if there was interest from them to do it. I'm sorry to those of you that thought I was "demeaning", but I certainly wasn't trying to be. And yea, it's the easy way out....if there are so many that dislike me and are making their feelings public, than I'll just stop the process.

edit for spelling

Yes Brian I do agree with Bruce and other Newbs here in that you should not remove the offer because of one or a few inserting negativity into a good thing. That would be the easy way out in a moment of fustration and anger.

However, I disagree with what I think was a poor choice of words from him such as "grovel" & "demeaning".

I look at it as many others seemed to have. Just like it was any writing competition that you would see in any school, or community event. Wether it was just a few sentences, or a few paragraphs, we got to see some new information about/from these people.
I myself learned a little about some of these new guys that I did not know before. From Pook making a funny, to Sheluvscigars2 nagging her husband for years before trying it herself and finding out she too loved the hobby.
Seeing stuff like this sometimes inspires me to pick a target, and bomb them.
DanThe Man wrote something like that once, when I decided to hit him.

Seems funny how a few here always want to take something done in the spirit of fun and paint a negative spin on it.

As far as Denis goes, I think he was just trying to mess with you Brian.

I think what we have here is a miscommunication.

1) Dennis (theHatGuy) is a stand up guy. I have smoked numerous cigars and drank copious amounts of alcohol with him. What he said was in jest. I have not talked to/pm'd him but for him to say what was perceived as a jab by Jonesy, is totally out of character. I can say honestly no mal intent was intended.

2) I don't see the sky falling, maybe one other person has an issue. Who cares.

Proceed with the pass, I think it is a stellar idea. Not that my permission is needed, just a vote of confidence.

I do believe Jonesy's intentions were pure, in the fact he wanted help a true greenie. I don't see why that is a big deal. It wasn't made out to be a grovel fest to boost his ego. A simple "I am having a pass" "I would like to include a new guy" "Tell me why you should be involved" Harmless to me, I think he just wanted to get to know a guy before he sent him a box full of nice cigars.

I see it as him taking a risk to be a true BOTL. I could be wrong. As far as demeaning I don't see that at all. I don't think Jonesy is causing these guys to be aware of their shortcomings, they should already know that. If anything he is trying to bolster one persons shortcomings, by allowing them to prove themselves.

Dennis your such an asshole, no more shine for you. :sign:

Cheers fellas, hope it gets resolved and this pass gets underway.

Unbelievable!!!

What is it with some of you guys? ??? Jonesy simply stated... "4) You must tell me and the board why you are worthy of getting into my pass."
If the guys want to do a sales job for the spot, it's their perogative to do so. Jonesy did not ask them to grovel as has been perceived by some. Personally
I think it has all been done in jest anyway.

So DanThe Man, your statement...
"Getting a spot as a greenhorn newb in Jonesy's pass would be like getting a seat at the World of Poker Tournament without competing"
is a little bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Jonesy is a stand up guy, he ran a very successful pass last year and will no doubt run another successful pass. IMO, his offer for someone fairly new to the
board to participate in a premium pass has not been done before and adds to the fun. The fact that you may need a few premium sticks to participate and you don.t have
them, is your problem, not one to share with the whole board.

Oh and Jonesy, theHatguy deleted his post and proffered an explanation. As Shane says, he is a stand up guy and meant no harm by his post and hence
the removal of the post when it was perceived in a different light.

I enjoyed watching and participating in your last pass Brian #2, I look forward to watching your next pass. Guys like you contribute to our board and I commend you.

Brian

really hope you DON'T take away the pass because of a person or two jonesy. Had a few dealings with you and you have always been stand up. Keep it up brother!

Edit: Cause I are handicapped, and Infinity is smart?

really hope you take away the pass because of a person or two jonesy. Had a few dealings with you and you have always been stand up. Keep it up brother!
I think you mean DON'T take away the pass :D

Brian

I wholeheartedly agree with these two statements:

Dennis your such an asshole...

and

So DanThe Man, your statement...
"Getting a spot as a greenhorn newb in Jonesy's pass would be like getting a seat at the World of Poker Tournament without competing"
is a little bit of a stretch, don't you think?

As Dennis' brother, I can attest to the fact that he is indeed an asshole of the highest order. :D

And, as a poker player, I'm offended -- downright OFFENDED -- in your assessment of the WPT, Dan. I believe an immediate ban is needed! :0

Other than reading some of his posts, I do not know Jonsey or his history on CP. However, based on what I have read and what most other members have written, he appears to be a stand up guy.

I joined his contest/pass for two reasons. First, it was a contest. My competitive side said go for it. Second, I have wanted to get my noob feet wet in a pass since I joined CP. Jonsey gave me the opportunity to join a pass with primarily established members. Being the only newbie in the pass I would be fairly well assured of receiving it in excellent condition and learn the proper way to pack and ship it for the next person.

I did not find the contest portion of the pass demeaning in any way. I looked at it as a contest in which I had to state my qualifications. Kind of like what the presidential candidates are attempting to do.

After reading the criticism and support, the only thing I can see that may have upset anyone is the use of the word “Worthy”. If he has said “what are your qualifications” would this thread have blown up? That is how I interpreted it when I entered and this is what I believe Jonesy’s intent was. No more, no less. Perhaps his exuberance caused a choice of words that were not to everyone’s liking. As the saying goes, you can’t please all the people all the time.

Just my 2 cents.

Other than reading some of his posts, I do not know Jonsey or his history on CP. However, based on what I have read and what most other members have written, he appears to be a stand up guy.

I joined his contest/pass for two reasons. First, it was a contest. My competitive side said go for it. Second, I have wanted to get my noob feet wet in a pass since I joined CP. Jonsey gave me the opportunity to join a pass with primarily established members. Being the only newbie in the pass I would be fairly well assured of receiving it in excellent condition and learn the proper way to pack and ship it for the next person.

I did not find the contest portion of the pass demeaning in any way. I looked at it as a contest in which I had to state my qualifications. Kind of like what the presidential candidates are attempting to do.

After reading the criticism and support, the only thing I can see that may have upset anyone is the use of the word "Worthy". If he has said "what are your qualifications" would this thread have blown up? That is how I interpreted it when I entered and this is what I believe Jonesy's intent was. No more, no less. Perhaps his exuberance caused a choice of words that were not to everyone's liking. As the saying goes, you can't please all the people all the time.

Just my 2 cents.

X2

Well put Boomer52

I'll add that I took the "Worthy" comment to be tongue-in-cheek and I think it's a shame that this idea was aborted before liftoff.

Thanks anyway, Jonsey and good on ya for trying.

- Tim

X2

Well put Boomer52

I'll add that I took the "Worthy" comment to be tongue-in-cheek and I think it's a shame that this idea was aborted before liftoff.

Thanks anyway, Jonsey and good on ya for trying.

- Tim

Don't give up yet guys. I know Brian pretty well, and I'll work on him to get him to continue with this brilliant idea after he cools off a bit. ;)

Jonesy is a STAND UP GUY here on the forum, i know him well enough (but not as well as John does, gross) to know that his intentions are pure, but away from the board, he's a pervert, my 3 midgets i sent there to work evidently he molested them. Those 3 old men don't roll like that, bastard.

[/quote]

And, as a poker player, I'm offended -- downright OFFENDED -- in your assessment of the WPT, Dan. I believe an immediate ban is needed! :0

[/quote]

Ok- I'll admit the WPT comment was a reach at an example, but I think the idea was there that the inexperienced gaining a shot at playing with a bunch of experienced pros was the jest of it... No disrespect to the WPT, PokerStars, or any other gaming circle intended... and now the river...

Ok- I'll admit the WPT comment was a reach at an example, but I think the idea was there that the inexperienced gaining a shot at playing with a bunch of experienced pros was the jest of it... No disrespect to the WPT, PokerStars, or any other gaming circle intended... and now the river...

I was just messin' with ya, bro... I don't get offended that easily. :D

Brian don't let the self appointed " Thought Police " ruin a good thing.

You get his many people together and no matter what anyone says or does, someone will find something wrong or be offended by it. That does make them right, no matter how long they have ( or have not )been here.

Seth

Hey look guys. I made a bad statement last night. I want to appologize to Jonsey in public. I was trying to make a joke and it was a slap in the face to Jonsey. For that and for starting this shit storm I am sorry. Can we please go back to smoking and passing cigars? Jonsey PM sent to you.

Edit to say F-U SteveHawk I know I am an ass.

"theASShatguy"

Apology accepted Dennis. I appreciate the pm you sent me. After what kiltedcraftsman posted, I had no idea that you were joking. As far as what he said, I can also see his point. I should have worded things a little differently because it made me look like I am the end all and be all and held each one of the new guys fate in my hands with myself being a newbie. My only intention was to be able to offer up a spot in a pass to a new guy when normally that doesn't happen. Very few passes that aren't geared towards newbies have spots available to them so I just wanted to try a little something different so they could have the opportunity to join in a premium style pass. I am opening this back up to the new guys but have changed the wording in question #4 from
4) You must tell me and the board why you are worthy of getting into my pass.
to
4) Give me a reason that you would like to participate in my pass.

This way a spot is still up for grabs for any new guy that wants to answer and the question is changed because I shouldn't have used the word "worthy". I can certainly see where some may think I was pompous for wording it like that. My apologies to all and let's get this thing going again!

I just LOVE a happily ever after!

Pick your newb so we can get started heckling.

Oh, and you guys need to loosen up!

They're all in my pass now, you can't have them! MWwaahahahah! :laugh: