• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Houston Area Herf

Smokin'Sims

Gettin' my nerd on, Hopp Schwiez!
Since we kind of started to thread jack Astrobeerman's intro I thought we should start a discussion on a Houston area herf here. I will be working downtown and as such am fairly close to Downing Street, Serious' Richmond location, and The Gingerman. This thread is to gauge interest and see where people would like to congregate. Currently Downing St. and Serious would be my first choice because it is a bit warm outside and you can smoke in a cool (temperature) room at those places. I am open to suggestions for other locations including under the I-10- Gessner overpass, someone else can bring the 40's. It would be nice to get one off before Audi heads out in September. So speak up if you are interested and have any input.

I would like to make a trip down for a herf, depending on when.

Ken

Good news is that I will not be leaving until the end of September and this coincides with Formula 1's Asia leg of the grand prix tours. Bad news is that I will be in Asia for New Years, but those are minor details.

With regards to locations. If we are meeting under an overpass, might I recommend Bubba's Burger Shack under 59 just off of West park? Excellent buffalo burgers and cheaper beer prices. :thumbs:

My first choice would be Serious Cigars off of 1960, just because they have an adjacent bar that is cigar friendly in the event we are unable to fit in their lounge or want a drink. But I know this is out of the way for most of us. I am good with Downing street (was there last night in fact) and absolutely love their 'tater salad. But if we do go there, it is imperative that everyone wears a collared shirt (house rules, female's excluded).

There are choices in Sugarland and Katy as well, but I will wait to see who else chimes in (and where they are located). I'm off of Eldridge and I-10 (west-side).

A Houston Herf would be great! I live an hour north of Houston, but I work in the I-45 North @ Beltway 8 area on Houston's north side. I would make the drive down if we decide to do this on the weekend or meet after work, either way. I ike Audi's idea of meeting at Serious Cigar's off of 1960 with the ability to use the cigar bar in case of a crowd.

Alan

I'll be living way out west in San Felipe. I'm fine with the 1960 location of Serious as well, on a week-end that is probably just as close as anything downtown.

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' timestamp='1312894680' post='1051330']
I'll be living way out west in San Felipe. I'm fine with the 1960 location of Serious as well, on a week-end that is probably just as close as anything downtown.
[/quote]

For a second there I was thinking San Felipe and 610.. but no. You weren't kidding when you said way out west. As we all seem to work somewhat close to town (i too am off of 45 and the beltway), it seems that a weekday might be best. I know Jake works in town (galleria area) as well so that's one more whom might show pending parental responsibilities.

I'd be happy to host a herf for you guys. I'll provide a cigar for each attendant.

Audi has been to my place before...just let me know.

Regards,

JZ

Audi has been to my place before...just let me know.

Both JZ and his shop are located directly south of Houston for the record. Off of 288 and Broadway. I actually thought of mentioning your place, but did not want to impose. :whistling:

Are there restrictions on libations?

It's BYOB...you guys can bring what you want.

Just email me to keep me informed if you guys decide to come to my place.

Regards,

JZ

I'm in, of course, depending on when it is. Serious off 1960 is a bit of a stretch for me, since we all live on the outskirts of town in all directions (I'm in Richmond...and more times than not I work from home) somewhere in-town would be more preferable.

Problem I have with Serious on Richmond....the selection is a little pathetic, especially for a shop owned by Ron. Not to mention, you can't buy drinks there (non-alcoholic).

Edit: Cigar Vault in Uptown is where Audi and I have met before....selection wise it's overpriced and the humidor is almost empty.

The only shop I frequent is Mike's Cigar Room in Spring, due to its' proximity to my office and home. I have not been to any shops in Houston so I can't make any recommendations, but I am willing to go anywhere in Houston if we do this on the weekend. :thumbs:

It seems that we have narrowed it down to two main locations:
- Serious (1960 location)
- Downing (Kirby @ Westheimer)
Others:
- Cigar Cigar (Sugarland)
- R&J Cigar (Pearland)

Before nailing down the location, perhaps we could look into available dates for everyone. I am sure having the herf on a weekday or weekend will affect each person's preference on locations.

Currently I am available every Friday and Saturday with the exception of Sept. 2nd and 24th.

edit * To show Other locations.

I should be available pretty much any day in the evening or anytime on a week-end given advance notice. Any place that is BYO is fine with me as well. Coming from Mississippi, Spec's is like a paradise. I'm sure there are better places elsewhere, but not anything like it in MS.

There is a place in Sugarland that isn't bad. Its called Cigar Cigar. They have a day pass to the Lounge that is $6 and you can BOYB as well. Cigar selection isn't bad for the smaller humidor. Only downside is if you live on the north side of Houston it would be a hell of a drive. Just like its a hell of a drive for me to meet on the North side. From Cigar Cigar its like a 60 mile drive one way for me. Plenty of good places to eat at in the vicinity aka walking distance. Depending on the day, I could show up. Always busy with the VA hospital but generally I know the dates in advance. :D

There is a place in Sugarland that isn't bad. Its called Cigar Cigar. They have a day pass to the Lounge that is $6 and you can BOYB as well. Cigar selection isn't bad for the smaller humidor. Only downside is if you live on the north side of Houston it would be a hell of a drive. Just like its a hell of a drive for me to meet on the North side. From Cigar Cigar its like a 60 mile drive one way for me. Plenty of good places to eat at in the vicinity aka walking distance. Depending on the day, I could show up. Always busy with the VA hospital but generally I know the dates in advance. :D

Looks like we are all over the place (Woodlands, Huntsville, Pearland, Sugarland, Richmond, Katy, Way past Katy). Does anyone else find it odd that none of us live in town?

With that said. Would yall be willing to make the drive if it were to be centrally located at Downing? I would hate to deter participants simple because of the drive... :(

Looks like we are all over the place (Woodlands, Huntsville, Pearland, Sugarland, Richmond, Katy, Way past Katy). Does anyone else find it odd that none of us live in town?

Not really. If I think about places in town that I would want to live in they are way out of my price range, or I could get more for my money elsewhere. I think I'd like to live in the West University Village area. The places I could afford I don't really want to live in.

I'll drive anywhere. Living in BFE all my life I am used to a long drive to get anywhere.

Downing wouldn't be bad....

I'm not a fan of serious off richmond....but they do have a nice lounge, and even though they don't have drinks.... BYOB might be acceptable.

I'm unavailable on the 21st and 28th that I know of. A Saturday afternoon would probably be best for me, esp. if drinking will be involved..

ETA: On second thought, while I might not care for the drive to the Serious on 1960, since we don't do this very often....I'd make the drive. The more I think about it, they do have drinks, spirits, and a ridiculously large selection...especially if we did like a 4-6 hour get together, I'm not worried.

Any Saturday is good for me except for Sept 10th, my oldest daughter is married.

I'm game for most days. Except a couple of appointments at the VA Hospital in Sept. I could still make a mini-herf during the week. If no one works on Saturday, that probably is a good choice. I can always pick up BigJake if he wanted to be 3 sheets to the wind since I go through Richmond on my way up and back. A huge Spec's is just located off 59. :whistling:

Reading everyone's posts and restrictions, it appears we currently have the following dates available. Saturday, September 3rd or 17th in the evening time (early evening perhaps around 7pm?). I'll leave things open for now in the event there are any other schedule conflicts with those whom have not responded. :blush: