• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How Cigar Aficionado does their cigar ratings

moki

el Presidente
A discussion of Cigar Aficionado's cigar rating system appeared in this thread on another board. Accusations were flung around, and then Gordon Mott, Executive Editor of Cigar Aficionado stepped in to respond to some of the more... flamboyant accusations that were leveled, and explain the testing system that they use.

Here's the post, I think it is interesting reading.

Gordon Mott
A Response from Cigar Aficionado - Today, 04:02 PM

Gentlemen,

This is Gordon Mott, the Executive Editor of Cigar Aficionado. I usually don't jump into forums, except our own, to explain how we taste and rate cigars. But when hugomarink borders on libel in the way he describes our blind tastings, I feel compelled to set the record straight. Many of you have heard me explain this in public forums, so for you, it is nothing new. But let me be very, very clear; just because Smoke magazine does their ratings the way Hugomarink says, it doesn't mean that Cigar Aficionado does it that way. Frankly, if what he says about Smoke is true, I would be humiliated to ever admit that I'd been part of such deception. Integrity starts at home. But it is clear he has no idea how a professional publishing company operates.

First of all, let me explain our process. I have a full-time employee who does nothing but prepare our blind tastings for us. He goes out into the New York retail market and purchases the cigars that we rate; yes, to answer your question, we have our methods to acquire Cuban cigars too but they are all purchased. Over the years, I would estimate that we have actually purchased more than 98 percent of the cigars we rate in the magazine--the goal is simple; re-create as closely as possible the buying experience of our reader. The tasting coordinator then removes the brand's bands, and replaces them with numbered bands; he and only he holds the key during the tasting period. I think right there you might see one of the fundamental differences with any other magazine; we devote the resources and manpower to ensure there is a firewall between the purchase and the smokers.

After the bands are numbered, they are placed in the humidors of the tasters: they include my self, Dave Savona and two other tasters here in the New York office. From time to time, we will include Marvin in the blind tastings and when Mr. Suckling is in New York, like for our final top 25 tasting this year, he participates also. But there are four tasters who are involved in every blind tasting. To suggest that I only get the good ones, and everyone else gets the dregs is just plain ignorant. They are divided among us equally and fairly and without regard to country of origin. If there are big discrepancies in the scores, we will re-taste a cigar but that's only fair.

Secondly, in 15 years, I have never seen a score manipulated, nor have we ever given a score to a cigar that we haven't smoked. I actually find that hard to believe that other magazines might make up scores out of thin air. Talk about dishonest.

His suspicion that we don't smoke all our cigars in house is also totally ignorant. We decided never to use outside panels because we don't want any unknown influence on the ratings, or for that matter, differing levels of amateurishness and tasting experience to cloud the ratings process. We now have tasters where the least experienced has been doing it for eight years. Dave has 13 years experience and I have 15 years in as a taster. While that doesn't automatically qualify us as Tasters Extraordinaires, it does allow us to lay claim to the reality that outside of a cigar factory there are very few people in the world who have smoked as many different cigars as we have. And, yes, I would say that it one of the hardest parts of the job because it never stops...we finish one tasting and we move on to next. But I can guarantee you this: every cigar is smoked blind inside the offices of M. Shanken by full-time employees of the company, all of whom love cigars and smoke them for pleasure when they can. In rare cases, someone may take a tasting cigar home to smoke over the weekend, but I don't encourage that; by reducing the external variables as much as possible, you at least approach something akin to the same circumstance for each cigar smoked, and maybe make it a more objective process.

Finally, the canard that just won't go away is that one that we massage ratings for our advertisers. I have tried to dispel that myth so many times that I'm blue in the face. But the facts are the facts, and they do speak for themselves. First of all, many of our highest rated cigars are Cubans; by law, we cannot take one cent of advertising from the Cubans. Secondly, for the first 10 years of the magazine, one of the lowest average scores for a cigar brand was earned by one of the top-selling brands of our biggest advertiser. If manufacturers out there are advertising because they think they can buy scores, they sure aren't getting much for it. Also look at some of the newer smaller brands that have earned high ratings in the last two or three years; the ratings long preceded their ability to even think about spending money on advertising.

One of our favorite sayings here is, "The score is the score" And, we tell manufacturers to make better cigars if they want higher scores. But we DO NOT change scores because they belong to an advertiser...and if you talk to people in the industry, instead of speculating because of what other magazines do, you would know that to be true. It is true that in recent years we have noticed a narrowing the range of scores, but in the early days, we gave a lot of scores under 80...we have been analyzing the scores and trying to figure out if its just that cigars have gotten better, or we've gotten softer...I think it's the former. But this is not a science...it is a subjective exercise that we are always examining in hopes of making it better.

For more than 30 years, M. Shanken Communications has based its reputation on the integrity of our blind ratings, both for the Wine Spectator and in the last 15 years, for Cigar Aficionado. In all those years, the same charge has been made that advertisers can buy a good score. And in all that time, no one has ever proven that to be true, nor has any advertiser ever come forward and said, Yes, I bought that score. There's a simple reason. It is not true. We take great pride in the honesty and integrity of our blind ratings system, and we put both the manpower and the training into it to make sure we maintain its quality.

People disagree with our ratings. That's what makes the world go around. But again, I can guarantee you that no one can fault the process.

It now seems apparent that others cannot make the same claim. That's too bad.

A discussion of Cigar Aficionado's cigar rating system appeared in this thread on another board. Accusations were flung around, and then Gordon Mott, Executive Editor of Cigar Aficionado stepped in to respond to some of the more... flamboyant accusations that were leveled, and explain the testing system that they use.

Here's the post, I think it is interesting reading.

Gordon Mott
A Response from Cigar Aficionado - Today, 04:02 PM

Gentlemen,

This is Gordon Mott, the Executive Editor of Cigar Aficionado. I usually don't jump into forums, except our own, to explain how we taste and rate cigars. But when hugomarink borders on libel in the way he describes our blind tastings, I feel compelled to set the record straight. Many of you have heard me explain this in public forums, so for you, it is nothing new. But let me be very, very clear; just because Smoke magazine does their ratings the way Hugomarink says, it doesn't mean that Cigar Aficionado does it that way. Frankly, if what he says about Smoke is true, I would be humiliated to ever admit that I'd been part of such deception. Integrity starts at home. But it is clear he has no idea how a professional publishing company operates.

First of all, let me explain our process. I have a full-time employee who does nothing but prepare our blind tastings for us. He goes out into the New York retail market and purchases the cigars that we rate; yes, to answer your question, we have our methods to acquire Cuban cigars too but they are all purchased. Over the years, I would estimate that we have actually purchased more than 98 percent of the cigars we rate in the magazine--the goal is simple; re-create as closely as possible the buying experience of our reader. The tasting coordinator then removes the brand's bands, and replaces them with numbered bands; he and only he holds the key during the tasting period. I think right there you might see one of the fundamental differences with any other magazine; we devote the resources and manpower to ensure there is a firewall between the purchase and the smokers.

After the bands are numbered, they are placed in the humidors of the tasters: they include my self, Dave Savona and two other tasters here in the New York office. From time to time, we will include Marvin in the blind tastings and when Mr. Suckling is in New York, like for our final top 25 tasting this year, he participates also. But there are four tasters who are involved in every blind tasting. To suggest that I only get the good ones, and everyone else gets the dregs is just plain ignorant. They are divided among us equally and fairly and without regard to country of origin. If there are big discrepancies in the scores, we will re-taste a cigar but that's only fair.

Secondly, in 15 years, I have never seen a score manipulated, nor have we ever given a score to a cigar that we haven't smoked. I actually find that hard to believe that other magazines might make up scores out of thin air. Talk about dishonest.

His suspicion that we don't smoke all our cigars in house is also totally ignorant. We decided never to use outside panels because we don't want any unknown influence on the ratings, or for that matter, differing levels of amateurishness and tasting experience to cloud the ratings process. We now have tasters where the least experienced has been doing it for eight years. Dave has 13 years experience and I have 15 years in as a taster. While that doesn't automatically qualify us as Tasters Extraordinaires, it does allow us to lay claim to the reality that outside of a cigar factory there are very few people in the world who have smoked as many different cigars as we have. And, yes, I would say that it one of the hardest parts of the job because it never stops...we finish one tasting and we move on to next. But I can guarantee you this: every cigar is smoked blind inside the offices of M. Shanken by full-time employees of the company, all of whom love cigars and smoke them for pleasure when they can. In rare cases, someone may take a tasting cigar home to smoke over the weekend, but I don't encourage that; by reducing the external variables as much as possible, you at least approach something akin to the same circumstance for each cigar smoked, and maybe make it a more objective process.

Finally, the canard that just won't go away is that one that we massage ratings for our advertisers. I have tried to dispel that myth so many times that I'm blue in the face. But the facts are the facts, and they do speak for themselves. First of all, many of our highest rated cigars are Cubans; by law, we cannot take one cent of advertising from the Cubans. Secondly, for the first 10 years of the magazine, one of the lowest average scores for a cigar brand was earned by one of the top-selling brands of our biggest advertiser. If manufacturers out there are advertising because they think they can buy scores, they sure aren't getting much for it. Also look at some of the newer smaller brands that have earned high ratings in the last two or three years; the ratings long preceded their ability to even think about spending money on advertising.

One of our favorite sayings here is, "The score is the score" And, we tell manufacturers to make better cigars if they want higher scores. But we DO NOT change scores because they belong to an advertiser...and if you talk to people in the industry, instead of speculating because of what other magazines do, you would know that to be true. It is true that in recent years we have noticed a narrowing the range of scores, but in the early days, we gave a lot of scores under 80...we have been analyzing the scores and trying to figure out if its just that cigars have gotten better, or we've gotten softer...I think it's the former. But this is not a science...it is a subjective exercise that we are always examining in hopes of making it better.

For more than 30 years, M. Shanken Communications has based its reputation on the integrity of our blind ratings, both for the Wine Spectator and in the last 15 years, for Cigar Aficionado. In all those years, the same charge has been made that advertisers can buy a good score. And in all that time, no one has ever proven that to be true, nor has any advertiser ever come forward and said, Yes, I bought that score. There's a simple reason. It is not true. We take great pride in the honesty and integrity of our blind ratings system, and we put both the manpower and the training into it to make sure we maintain its quality.

People disagree with our ratings. That's what makes the world go around. But again, I can guarantee you that no one can fault the process.

It now seems apparent that others cannot make the same claim. That's too bad.

I'm not at all familiar with CA or Smoke magazines but if he thinks this HugoMarink is libelous, then isn't he himself committing libel in the second bold segment? The fact that no advertiser has ever come forward and admit buying a score is proof enough for me. Case closed.

Thanks for the link to the thread Moki. It did help clear up some things that I was wondering about myself. I always wondered if some ratings were in fact bought. At the same time I realized, like Gordon brought up, Cuban cigars can not buy advertising through CA.

What's your gut on the guy that claims to be the former "employee" of Smoke magazine........Blowing smoke?

I remember reading that post a while back, it was quite interesting reading everyones take on the rating system used. There was a lot of people calling BS due to some shitty cigars being rated very high.

My subscription will expire for now, I do like some of the articles and there are some great items reviewed from time to time but there is just too much fluf and not enough cigar related info for a cigar magizine.

Good read Moki, thanks. I agree that there is too much fluff and too musch of it 'aint for the average working Joe. I wish the cigar srticle weren't 2 pages long, it's turning into look at what I do while smoking, but for some that's ok. I still read it.

Definitely a good read. Oh, and for you guys who think that the CA publication doesn't have enough cigar news for the pricetag, check out their online publication Cigar Insider. I love it and it is about nothing but cigars and comes out every 2 weeks.

I think we all need to remember that the CA ratings are just like any other subjective rating: the opinion of the people who have rated their subject. All of the experience of the tasters in CA's offices do not tell me that I am going to like their top-rated cigars because their tastes in cigars do not match mine. These guys publish a magazine about a subject they love. Even if they draw numbers from a hat and assign those to cigars as ratings, that's their business. If I like a Cusano 18 Toro and they say it's a dog rocket, I will thank them for lowering the prices of a smoke I enjoy. If they happen to like it, too, I will share something in common with them. Does it matter, in the long run, what number is assigned to the stogies I like? No.

The stories I read about the foaming-at-the-mouth ravings encountered on other boards are highly amusing. Keep them coming.

not that i buy into the myth or not, but what does that statement exactly prove? so the EE of CA says it doesnt happen. if anyone is shocked by his answer, please raise your hand.

Friend of mine went to the Big Smoke and this was a major topic at one of the sessions.

Apparently they were told that when reviewing, they only smoke about an inch of a cigar and then give a review.

Now how on earth can anyone rate a cigar based on only the first inch??

Great read, but it hasn't dispelled any of my suspicions that ratings go hand in hand with ad revenue. I think the same goes for Smoke, just as it does for CA. Good publications, but it's all about the Benjamins.

I have a full-time employee who does nothing but prepare our blind tastings for us. He goes out into the New York retail market and purchases the cigars that we rate;

Moki - can you pull some strings and get me this job? :D

Friend of mine went to the Big Smoke and this was a major topic at one of the sessions.

Apparently they were told that when reviewing, they only smoke about an inch of a cigar and then give a review.

Now how on earth can anyone rate a cigar based on only the first inch??

It's true. Per his post on CF:

"I have said openly that we smoke between half an inch to an inch of each cigar. I've had manufacturers rake me over the coals for that fact, and for the fact that we don't "smoke a whole box" to get the true nature of their product. I remind them that they are a consumer product manufacturer. If you say to me that you have to smoke half of a cigar to "get to the good part," I have a problem with that. If you light up a cigar, and it tastes like shit, not only for the first five minutes but for a good 30 minutes before you get half way down, the majority of people will simply put it out, and never come back. And if they smoke a whole box, and don't like half of the cigars in it, they won't be buying that brand again. We didn't just arbitrarily chose the half-inch to an inch limit, although Andy is right; there is a simple logistical imperative that comes into play. But after many hours of talking with cigar people, and I hope mastering some of the intricacies of what makes a handrolled cigar function, nearly everyone talks about a point where a cigar gets "running." It's usually after that first-half inch. By then, you will in 99 percent of the cases, know the true nature of the cigar; you certainly will a perfect idea of draw and burn, most flavor components, and whether or not you like it."

.....and a guy selling Mac's will rave about it, as a guy selling pc's will rave about those.....

Smoke what ya like!

Thanks for the link to the thread Moki. It did help clear up some things that I was wondering about myself. I always wondered if some ratings were in fact bought. At the same time I realized, like Gordon brought up, Cuban cigars can not buy advertising through CA.

What's your gut on the guy that claims to be the former "employee" of Smoke magazine........Blowing smoke?

That's me and I wasn't blowing smoke. I worked as Senior Editor at SMOKE from 1997 - 1999. My name is Andy Marinkovich. Find an old issue and check the masthead. I was definitely there.

I have since responded to Mr. Mott's posting on the other site a couple of times and he has also responded to me again. I think the air is clear. I honestly wasn't trying to disrespect CA or their methods. I was merely basing my assumptions on my own experiences in putting together a cigar review in a consumer magazine and figured the folks at CA must run into similar problems. According to Mr. Mott I was wrong, which isn't totally surprising. To compare the position of strength in the industry that CA operates from, with that of SMOKE, is like comparing apples and oranges. Mr. Mott did shed quite a bit of light on how they do things at CA, which was quite informative.

I think we all need to remember that the CA ratings are just like any other subjective rating: the opinion of the people who have rated their subject. All of the experience of the tasters in CA's offices do not tell me that I am going to like their top-rated cigars because their tastes in cigars do not match mine. These guys publish a magazine about a subject they love. Even if they draw numbers from a hat and assign those to cigars as ratings, that's their business. If I like a Cusano 18 Toro and they say it's a dog rocket, I will thank them for lowering the prices of a smoke I enjoy. If they happen to like it, too, I will share something in common with them. Does it matter, in the long run, what number is assigned to the stogies I like? No.

The stories I read about the foaming-at-the-mouth ravings encountered on other boards are highly amusing. Keep them coming.

Exactly. As I advised in that thread on the other board, you should really only use magazine ratings as a guide to what's out there, not as the final word on the topic.

the canard that just won't go away is that one that we massage ratings for our advertisers. I have tried to dispel that myth so many times that I'm blue in the face.

Wait.....if thats not the case, how did the incredibly average Oliva V get a 94 if it wasn't because of the 2 full color pages of adverstising?

Wait..........I found my new answer.............

I have said openly that we smoke between half an inch to an inch of each cigar.

:whistling:

That's me and I wasn't blowing smoke. I worked as Senior Editor at SMOKE from 1997 - 1999. My name is Andy Marinkovich. Find an old issue and check the masthead. I was definitely there.

I have since responded to Mr. Mott's posting on the other site a couple of times and he has also responded to me again. I think the air is clear. I honestly wasn't trying to disrespect CA or their methods. I was merely basing my assumptions on my own experiences in putting together a cigar review in a consumer magazine and figured the folks at CA must run into similar problems. According to Mr. Mott I was wrong, which isn't totally surprising. To compare the position of strength in the industry that CA operates from, with that of SMOKE, is like comparing apples and oranges. Mr. Mott did shed quite a bit of light on how they do things at CA, which was quite informative.

Very civil response for two people with different points of view. Thanks to both of them for shedding some light on the subject.

the canard that just won't go away is that one that we massage ratings for our advertisers. I have tried to dispel that myth so many times that I'm blue in the face.

Wait.....if thats not the case, how did the incredibly average Oliva V get a 94 if it wasn't because of the 2 full color pages of adverstising?

Wait..........I found my new answer.............

I have said openly that we smoke between half an inch to an inch of each cigar.

:whistling:

Hey Pimpin ... the great part about cigars, wine, cars ... etc etc. ... is that we all have different tastes. CA gave the Oliva V great reviews. Almost everyone I have talked to gives it great reviews. I love the cigar (especially the lancero and the beli) and frankly your post is the first negative thing I ahve ever heard about that particular cigar. However, that does not make your point of veiw any more or less valid than mine or CA or anyone else.

As for smoking only an inch or so is best explained in the previous quote from CA below:

"I have said openly that we smoke between half an inch to an inch of each cigar. I've had manufacturers rake me over the coals for that fact, and for the fact that we don't "smoke a whole box" to get the true nature of their product. I remind them that they are a consumer product manufacturer. If you say to me that you have to smoke half of a cigar to "get to the good part," I have a problem with that. If you light up a cigar, and it tastes like shit, not only for the first five minutes but for a good 30 minutes before you get half way down, the majority of people will simply put it out, and never come back. And if they smoke a whole box, and don't like half of the cigars in it, they won't be buying that brand again. We didn't just arbitrarily chose the half-inch to an inch limit, although Andy is right; there is a simple logistical imperative that comes into play. But after many hours of talking with cigar people, and I hope mastering some of the intricacies of what makes a handrolled cigar function, nearly everyone talks about a point where a cigar gets "running." It's usually after that first-half inch. By then, you will in 99 percent of the cases, know the true nature of the cigar; you certainly will a perfect idea of draw and burn, most flavor components, and whether or not you like it."

At first I really thought the 1/2 to 1 inch thing was a bit odd and questioned the legitimacy of the review. However, after reading the above it makes perfect sense. I can recall numerous cigars that I put down after an inch because it was so bad in one aspect or another.

My .02

- Jason

Back