• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you rate your cigars?

Succubus

I've noticed that a lot people rate their cigars out of 100 points without any breakdown as to how they get there. Since I'm new to reviews, I was wondering how everyone breaks this down so that I can better understand as well as be consistent with my own reviews. I like the idea of doing it out of 100 to be more precise.

I haven't done many reviews, Bri.
If I did, I don't know that I'd use a 100 point scale. Now you have me wondering if any of the reviewers who use it have ever explained it.

If I did decide to do reviews regularly, I might just keep it fairly simple, like:
Yuck
Meh
Decent - Try some more
Good
Excellent
Holy Shit!

:)

Afterthought:

I would think that a certain percentage could be applied for different aspects of the experience.

Burn - Construction
Aroma
Flavor
Consistency
Whatever else not coming to mind.

Afterthought:

I would think that a certain percentage could be applied for different aspects of the experience.

Burn - Construction
Aroma
Flavor
Consistency
Whatever else not coming to mind.
Yea I thought of those things too but wasn't sure what percent of the points goes to each and if there are other categories. I'm sure taste and aroma are a greater percent but wouldn't know how much.

I used to have a copy somewhere of the point breakdown used by CA. It was a guide I used when I first started smoking. I looked through my files for it, but couldn't find it. If I come across it, I'll be sure to post it. But now, I have to say I'm with Jim and Dan. From meh to *WOW*, numbers need not apply.

I used to have a copy somewhere of the point breakdown used by CA. It was a guide I used when I first started smoking. I looked through my files for it, but couldn't find it. If I come across it, I'll be sure to post it. But now, I have to say I'm with Jim and Dan. From meh to *WOW*, numbers need not apply.
Haha yea they totally changed my mind on the review system.

And thanks for digging around for point breakdown, if you come across it I would love to see it! Thanks :)

I base my numbers on the massive amount of cigars I have smoked over the past 20 plus years... One cigar has rated 100 points since I have been smoking (perfect, in my book) and all other cigars are rating based on this score, and the total experience... For example, the Hoyo Reserva I smoked a few days ago was rated a 98 because it was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked, but it wasn't the "best"... The Siglo VI was a 96 because it was amazing but didn't come close to the Hoyo but it was close to the Bolivar Coronas Gigante which scored a 97... I know it seem arbitrary, but it works for me...

I base my numbers on the massive amount of cigars I have smoked over the past 20 plus years... One cigar has rated 100 points since I have been smoking (perfect, in my book) and all other cigars are rating based on this score, and the total experience... For example, the Hoyo Reserva I smoked a few days ago was rated a 98 because it was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked, but it wasn't the "best"... The Siglo VI was a 96 because it was amazing but didn't come close to the Hoyo but it was close to the Bolivar Coronas Gigante which scored a 97... I know it seem arbitrary, but it works for me...
I actually assumed that some people rated their cigars based on the many other cigars they have smoked, with their 100 points being their top cigar. Your system makes perfect sense to me. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cigar that you rated 100?

I actually assumed that some people rated their cigars based on the many other cigars they have smoked, with their 100 points being their top cigar. Your system makes perfect sense to me. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cigar that you rated 100?

I actually did a review on it a few months ago, you can see it here...

I'm not as sophisticated as many of the members on here but here is mine:

1. Fantastic...love to share with friends who appreciate a good cigar and conversation
2. Great - love to share with friends and/or just want to have a nice drink by the fire and smoke a good one
3. Good - All the above still applies or a cigar I like to smoke when playing golf
4. Ok - yardgar
5. Shitty - try not to smoke; life is too precious to be smoking crappy cigars

Nice thread.

I used to fret over a review or a rating, now I just enjoy the cigars for what they are and rate them like this:

I wouldn't buy this again
I'd smoke it if someone handed it to me
I'd spend my own money to buy it
I'd pay a premium to get these again

I do use the 100pt scale for my reviews, but honestly I guess it's rather arbitrary. I certainly use it to compare to other cigars I have rated.

I think I probably start every single cigar at 80pts and just go from there. It gets 80pts for being a cigar, then I add points for certain aspects....construction, burn, smoke volume, taste, etc.

I guess I just have a feel for when a cigar crosses that 90 mark, and then each point after that is very hard to earn.

So to answer your question, it's not a mathematical formula or defined scale. I award the rating based on instincts. But I still think I find it accurate, for me.

I refuse to try and turn my vice into a hobby. It's just away of hiding from reality. I don't read or write reviews. I either like a cigar or I didn't. Cigars don't taste like food, no mater what CA says. Those money hungry bastids caused a lot of anxiety for the cigar smoker back in the day. It was called the "Cigar Boom" and I'll never forgive those SOBs

Doc

I refuse to try and turn my vice into a hobby. It's just away of hiding from reality. I don't read or write reviews. I either like a cigar or I didn't. Cigars don't taste like food, no mater what CA says. Those money hungry bastids caused a lot of anxiety for the cigar smoker back in the day. It was called the "Cigar Boom" and I'll never forgive those SOBs

Doc
Damn straight. By anxiety are you referring to a lot of brands started tasting like crap, hard to get, crazy price increases? I basically remember having a hard time finding something that tasted decent when my standard smokes went downhill or disappeared. I also remember asshats giving me odd looks for liking something CA hadn't rated highly.

My brother- in-law has a pretty cool rating system.
glues the band to the wall in his garage and writes something to the effect of

F'n A
Kick A**
Hell yeah

I think you get the picture.

Personally I think ratings are a crap shoot. A 95 for one person may be a 70 for another. I'm not all into rating them. Like others have said, I like it or I don't.

Its all personal taste