• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How do you rate your cigars?

I refuse to try and turn my vice into a hobby. It's just away of hiding from reality. I don't read or write reviews. I either like a cigar or I didn't. Cigars don't taste like food, no mater what CA says. Those money hungry bastids caused a lot of anxiety for the cigar smoker back in the day. It was called the "Cigar Boom" and I'll never forgive those SOBs

Doc
Being newer to cigars sometimes the reviews are helpful to get an idea of what I may or may not like before I make a purchase. Thankfully I was probably only like 3 years old when the cigar boom hit so I didn't have to experience any of that, but I can see how it could be very frustrating. I only really look at peer reviews and not what CA says because it helps me decide if a cigar is worth seeking out since my funds aren't unlimited. There are so many different flavors in cigars, and at the end of the day like you said, you either like them or you don't.

As with any consumer item subject to reviews; if a person likes to use them, I think it's best to find reviewers whom we seem to match tastes, likes, dislikes, etc.

Perceptions vary. Don't rely on someone else's opinion to guide you. Smoking it yourself is the only method that works. Funny thing is, what you can't stand today could very well become a favorite in the future.

Doc
Yes that is very true, I agree, but when I get curious about certain cigars, I like to read people's perceptions, but do so with the understanding that I may have a completely different experience.

My brother- in-law has a pretty cool rating system.
glues the band to the wall in his garage and writes something to the effect of

F'n A
Kick A**
Hell yeah

I think you get the picture.

Personally I think ratings are a crap shoot. A 95 for one person may be a 70 for another. I'm not all into rating them. Like others have said, I like it or I don't.

Its all personal taste
Yes, definitely true about ratings being different for different people. That's why I was curious what the break down was or how different people get to their score out of hundred. Really didn't have much idea beyond basing it off of other cigars smoked. When I read reviews, I'm really only interested in the flavor and aroma descriptions anyway.

Not so much a rating, but rather "would I buy this again in the future?" The numbers are basically gibberish...

1.0: Lawn Mulch...hell no!
2.0: Yard Gar... nope.
2.5: Worth Trying... but I wouldn't buy it again.
3.0: Very good... maybe?
4.0: Fiver Worthy...
4.5: Excellent... box-split to box-worthy.
5.0: Outstanding... only about 5 cigars have rated out this well in the last 1000.

Mine tends to be

Crap/Horse Turd - Give to my Dad to smoke on the job site or send to Brent and never buy or smoke again
Mediocre - Send to Brent - Never buy again
Ok - If I have them keep them around for people who don't really smoke but don't buy more
Good - Might buy again for the right price but not going out of my way to find them
Excellent - Keep these on hand and in my regular rotation. Share with cigar smoking friends.
Mind Blowing - Hunt these down and buy as many as I can afford. Might be 1 stick might be multiple boxes.

1. As good as a Don Carlos Anniversario
2. As good as an Opus X Lost City
3. As good as a Carlito God of Fire
4. As good as a well-aged Anejo 77 Shark
5. As good as a San Cristobal Fabuloso

. . . . everything else. :rolleyes:

~Boar

Forget the ratings follow the only 2 rules needed in cigars;

1. Like what you smoke
2. Smoke what you like

Then forget about ratings because one mans dog rocket might be someone elses daily smoke.

I've noticed that a lot people rate their cigars out of 100 points without any breakdown as to how they get there. Since I'm new to reviews, I was wondering how everyone breaks this down so that I can better understand as well as be consistent with my own reviews. I like the idea of doing it out of 100 to be more precise.
Number your ratings any way you want, forge your own path in a way that makes sense to you. It's your journey, make it your own.

Remember, there really aren't any 'rules' when doing this.

Just don't use one of these when doing so....
1pl-Spice-Rack.gif

Just don't use one of these when doing so....
Yes, especially if they're old. They lose a lot of flavor as they age. Only buy dried spices if you're going to use them fairly quickly, can deal with the diminished flavor, or don't mind tossing them at some point. Not to mention, I don't think they'd go well with a cigar.

;):D

I've noticed that a lot people rate their cigars out of 100 points without any breakdown as to how they get there. Since I'm new to reviews, I was wondering how everyone breaks this down so that I can better understand as well as be consistent with my own reviews. I like the idea of doing it out of 100 to be more precise.

The rating is your taste.

How do you get there - how do you rate a cigar?

The rating is your taste.

How do you get there - how do you rate a cigar?
I've just been basing it off of taste/aroma mostly in comparison to other cigars that I've smoked. I was just curious what others did or if there was some sort of breakdown out there that people followed. But it seems like everyone just has their own sort of system as well.

Bri, I've had cigars I absolutely loved that had periods of higher than average construction problems. If I did use a 100 point scale, and gave it a serious ding, I guess a good review would emphasise that, question what a properly rolled example might taste like (same, different) etc. I think one attribute can affect the other and a good review would touch on how that ding or high scoring attribute could affect the experience.
One reason why I'm more comfortable with a review where the person has smoked at least a few. A "one-off" is great, but a few builds my confidence to try.