• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How far off is too far?

Golfanatic

The Biggest Newbie on CP
So I bought a digital hygrometer from Heartfelt Industries because I was getting some beads and it was just easier to grab another hygrometer from them.

I did the salt test from the sticky thread above and I have both of my digital hygrometers in there with the cap.

One registered at 73% which wasn't so bad but the Heartfelt Hygrometer is not moving from the 64% mark.

It should be at 75% right? Of course I can't calibrate this one but could it really be 11% OFF?

So I bought a digital hygrometer from Heartfelt Industried because I was getting some beads and it was just easier to grab another hygrometer from them.

I did the salt test from the sticky thread above and I have both of my digital hygrometers in there with the cap.

One registered at 73% which wasn't so bad but the Heartfelt Hygrometer is not moving from the 64% mark.

It should be at 75% right? Of course I can't calibrate this one but could it really be 11% OFF?

Chances are it isn't right...check it again.....I found that I get really poor results with doing multiples. Dump the salt...dump the water and do it again.

I've done 3 at a time and there's always 1 or 2 that get funky...doing them 1 at a time...seems to work consistently....A thread popped up recently regarding Salt and digital Hygrometers....you might want to think of looking into a Boveda packs. Would you want Salt in your Hygrometers?

I have 1 hygrometer I was calibrating and accidentally knocked it over while cleaning my desk. Well that Hygrometer hasn't been the same since.

-Damien

Damien's right, try it again a few times. If you have an accurate hygrometer, test it against that.

To answer your question, yes, it's very possible it's 11%+ off. I have 3 of the older generation digital hygrometers, and they are all on average around 15% off. The new Xikar hygrometers are excellent - haven't had any complaints on those, plus you can calibrate them.

Check it again but if it is that far off the next time I will replace it if you would like.

Ok so second time its only 6% short so far but it needs another hour or so. Thanks Viper but I think 6% is going to be managable enough. You guys can imagine my disappointment after the first trial and cause for my hasty post.

I think I'm good now.

Preeesh...

Ok so second time its only 6% short so far but it needs another hour or so. Thanks Viper but I think 6% is going to be managable enough. You guys can imagine my disappointment after the first trial and cause for my hasty post.

I think I'm good now.

Preeesh...

I don't know how long you are running the test but I would go at least 36 hours to be sure.

Ahh the reason why all my new Hydro's are the kind that can be calibrated rp

It's ok. One of my hygro's is 9% off. You'll live.

Although mine isn't from "Heartfelt Industried..." :laugh: