• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to get rid of annoying smells inside the humidor

stphen

can anyone help me to get rid of this problem , even after the use of cleaning agents the smell of the solvents remain inside the humidor. i am very upset due to this, because it will not keep my cigars fresh indefinitely.

Hmm that's a problem as cedar adsorbs whatever touches it. This is why it is used in humidors because it stores humidity. With that being said, never use any kind of cleaning solutions on the inside of your humidor. The odor they emit can ruin the flavor of your cigars. What type of cleaning agent did you use? Depending on what it is if you let the cedar sit out in open air for an extended period of time it might get rid of the smell, but there are no guarantees. Someone who might be able to help a little more though is humidor minister. Here is a link to his profile page.

Linky

Solvent smell? Cleaning agents? ???

What on earth did you do?

Nothing but distilled water should ever be applied to the inside of a humidor, and many won't even put THAT directly onto the wood itself. You can try airing it out, sunning it out, sanding it out, but I'm guessing you'll be needing a new one.

~Boar

Solvent smell? Cleaning agents? ???

What on earth did you do?

Nothing but distilled water should ever be applied to the inside of a humidor, and many won't even put THAT directly onto the wood itself. You can try airing it out, sunning it out, sanding it out, but I'm guessing you'll be needing a new one.

~Boar

What I am guessing too.. But it could depend on what was used... Hoping it wasn't something that harsh.

Yep.

At work, we refer to times like these as a "SILO" moment; self induced learning opportunity......
whistling.gif

If this is a walk in humidor, you could always ask said stinky person not to come back
rolleyes.gif

After the use of cleaning agents which one should never use on the wood the smell of the solvents may remain inside the humidor. One should note that cleaning agents are only to be used inside the humidor in emergency cases. To get rid of the smell one might try the following:

First, the humidor should be opened and thoroughly ventilated.

If this does not help and the smell has not disappeared within a few days one may want to place a glass of whisky/brandy in the closed humidor (Caution: This will influence the flavor of the humidor for a long time!) Some aficionados intentionally add a few drops of whisky or brandy to the humidifier liquid to refine the flavor of the cigars.

After the use of cleaning agents which one should never use on the wood the smell of the solvents may remain inside the humidor. One should note that cleaning agents are only to be used inside the humidor in emergency cases. To get rid of the smell one might try the following:

If this does not help and the smell has not disappeared within a few days one may want to place a glass of whisky/brandy in the closed humidor (Caution: This will influence the flavor of the humidor for a long time!) Some aficionados intentionally add a few drops of whisky or brandy to the humidifier liquid to refine the flavor of the cigars.

I would suggest strongly against this. You would be trading the solvent smell for a solvent+whiskey smell. Also, I've yet to hear of any serious collector/smoker/"aficionado" add liquor to their humidifiers.

What type of emergency would warrant using cleaning solvents, which you say one should NEVER use, in one's humidor?

What 'solvent' did you use?

Regardless, a couple of options are:

1) Sand down all the wood and reseason the humi - see if the smell is still there.
2) Get a new humi.

These depend on...What solvent did you use?

I used a mild ammonia/water mixture to treat the inside of my humidor after a beetle showed up in there. I just wanted to be safe. I let it sit open for a couple of weeks near a window that gets a lot of sun. No smell has been noticable since. I re-seasoned it and put it back in use. I haven't had any problems. Just a personal experience FWIW.

I would suggest strongly against this. You would be trading the solvent smell for a solvent+whiskey smell. Also, I've yet to hear of any serious collector/smoker/"aficionado" add liquor to their humidifiers.
Agreed. I cannot imagine anyone who would consider themselves an "aficionado" who would attempt to alter the flavor of a fine cigar. This is bad advice.

Try this - pour a shot of whiskey or brandy and let it sit on your counter for a week. After a week, take a good, deep whiff and ask yourself if that's the flavor you want to impart to your collection....;)

B.B.S.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the new crop of newbs are dumber than usual?

Doc.

Agreed. I cannot imagine anyone who would consider themselves an "aficionado" who would attempt to alter the flavor of a fine cigar. This is bad advice.

B.B.S.

C'mon Tom.....just think about all those "aficionados" that smoke Acids, Erin Go Bragh's, and Whiskey flavored Ghurkas! They've probably read this thread and have a shot glass of Scotch in their humi now thinking " Man, wait til I give one of these to somebody the next time I have company!". :laugh:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the new crop of newbs are dumber than usual?

Doc.

Hey, Hey!! Not all the newbs are dumb!!! LOL. Some of us read, research, and just have common sense....

B.B.S.

C'mon Tom.....just think about all those "aficionados" that smoke Acids, Erin Go Bragh's, and Whiskey flavored Ghurkas! They've probably read this thread and have a shot glass of Scotch in their humi now thinking " Man, wait til I give one of these to somebody the next time I have company!". :laugh:
I was thinking about recommending buying a couple of Acid sampler tins and distributing the smokes around the humidor. Believe it or not, even I'm not that big of an asshole......:laugh: