• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to handle an unfortunate situation?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Good morning:

I ordered 10 boxes of ISOM's and things didn't go so well. A box of 9 (3x3) Partagas Culebra are moldy and look terrible, a box containing two bundles of QyH Favoritos arrived smashed from being very poorly packaged, and the packaging in general was poor resulting in a few PSD4 and BBF with a damaged foot.

The dealer is not being very cooperative and is asking that I send damaged or moldy sticks back for a refund. He does not sell singles so cannot replace the damaged singles which leaves me with partial boxes. He has reluctantly agreed to refund me for the return shipping.

Is he being fair?

Am I being too picky?

Last edited:
It's fair to expect purchased goods to arrive in good order. Having you send back the full box back seem appropriate.

This is why trust your source is of the utmost importance. Some will guarantee shipping and product satisfaction. Others, not so much.

White mold on the wrapper never bothers me.
Wipe it off and go.

Mold on/in the foot or blue mold anywhere is bad.

That being said, @CMontoya79 is right....you must trust your source.

I'd probably end up sending them all back. Mold when I'm not expecting it is unexceptable. On a culebra it's hard to just wipe it off. A couple damaged feet don't bother me as much unless it's a box I was planning on gifting. If you're unhappy there's no point keeping any of them and you're better off using a different vendor.

Not quite the same, but I was gifting a brother and it was intercepted. Wrote the established vendor and it was resent. That too was screwed. Wrote the vendor again, he modified the shipping method and again resent ( third time ). This time we made it. Using a trusted source took some time, but paid off in the end.

The guy is still playing hardball and I gave him one more chance before I file a claim with American Express for the entire transaction, they will deal with him and make it right.

The Culebra's were moldy everywhere, under the ribbon, the feet, all over the wrapper, etc.

Sounds like the vendor is being an ass. I agree, if he wants to play that way (hard ball), tell him to take the whole order back or you're going to let AmEx handle it. That should make him come around, if he has any sense at all.

Yea, you can't banter with someone like that. I'm curious if the boxes were sealed or "opened for inspection prior to shipping". That doesn't address the poor packaging, but if opened and received moldy, a big red flag.

To answer your question "am I being too picky" If you mean the condition of the cigars, no, not at all.

If you mean about the terms he agreed to, then yes. Send them all back, get your refund for the original order and return shipping, and blacklist him. Who knows what else might be wrong with them from what appears to be careless storage.

Yea, you can't banter with someone like that. I'm curious if the boxes were sealed or "opened for inspection prior to shipping". That doesn't address the poor packaging, but if opened and received moldy, a big red flag.

To answer your question "am I being too picky" If you mean the condition of the cigars, no, not at all.

If you mean about the terms he agreed to, then yes. Send them all back, get your refund for the original order and return shipping, and blacklist him. Who knows what else might be wrong with them from what appears to be careless storage.

Yes, the cigars were opened for inspection and yes, this is a big red flag. I am also stunned at the poor packaging, it is virtually impossible for the cigars to have made the travels they did without damage!

He even threatened that if I got Amex involved it would end badly given "what I bought".

He's had issue with getting burned in the past.
Did you send him photos?

Also - will you ship them back?

(not saying his tone is the best...just that he's had issues and been burned by folks)

He's had issue with getting burned in the past.
Did you send him photos?

Also - will you ship them back?

(not saying his tone is the best...just that he's had issues and been burned by folks)
I sent photos. I am emailing him to see if we can work out a solution. His attitude (tone) thus far has left me concerned so I greatly appreciate your input.

I sent photos. I am emailing him to see if we can work out a solution. His attitude (tone) thus far has left me concerned so I greatly appreciate your input.

Have you actually spoken to him, or just emails?

I've offered but he hasn't taken me up on it.

Well, I was going to say that you'd have a better judge of his tone that way, but if he's avoiding phone contact it kind of skewers that thought.

You ordered 10boxes at one time from a source that you didn't fully trust? Broken feet an a few cigars are no big deal imho. Hell you're going to set fire to them anyways right? White mold, wipe it off and move on. Contacting Amex is asking for trouble is a douchebag move. You broke the law by purchasing CC's and you want to out yourself to the creditor that you used to pay for it. Sounds like a legit plan to me lol. You play the game and touched something a tad warm. Learn from it and move on dude.

1. Don't order in large quantities.
2. It's your risk no one else's
3. Trust your sources
4. Learn to use PM feature as to not incriminate yourself on a public forum.

That was my first thought, too, Jason. First we try, then we trust. Ten boxes is an order for an already trusted vendor. And who the hell won't talk to a customer?!? ;)

You ordered 10boxes at one time from a source that you didn't fully trust? Broken feet an a few cigars are no big deal imho. Hell you're going to set fire to them anyways right? White mold, wipe it off and move on. Contacting Amex is asking for trouble is a douchebag move. You broke the law by purchasing CC's and you want to out yourself to the creditor that you used to pay for it. Sounds like a legit plan to me lol. You play the game and touched something a tad warm. Learn from it and move on dude.

1. Don't order in large quantities.
2. It's your risk no one else's
3. Trust your sources
4. Learn to use PM feature as to not incriminate yourself on a public forum.
You assume a great deal, and we all know what happens when we assume....especially when most of it is incorrect.