• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to make an inlay

Humidor Minister

For those of you that are going to try to make your own humidors or are going to modify some sort of cabinet. This tutorial will show you how to make a beautiful inlay to really dress up your project. The tools used are expensive but cheap tools and some elbo grease will yield the same results.

The first step is to get your materials in order. I trim up my own but you can buy packets of woods in these thicknesses at Woodcraft or Woodworkers source.
363275613.jpg

Next you'll want to glue these together. I sugest a roller because you only need a thin, uniform film of glue. I use a Vacuum press to clamp mine while drying but you can use 2 cauls and do it with cheap clamps. This is what it should look like after planing or block sanding the edges.
363275618.jpg

Next, split it into 2 pieces as seen here on the table saw or band saw.
363275625.jpg

363275631.jpg

363275641.jpg

Now using a miter sled on the table saw, cut little triangles to a point at 30 degrees. Never put your fingers within 3 inches of the blade. Always use a push stick to hold your work and to get it away from the blade after the cut.
363275645.jpg

363275653.jpg

Now for the fun part. Sand any burs you find on the triangles off to create a tight fit.
363275659.jpg

Next start lining them up in this order. I forgot to mention, you'll cut 4 pieces about 3 inches long as you see here with parallel 30 degree miter cuts. Do a test fit for alignment purposes as you see here.
363275680.jpg

363275671.jpg

363275687.jpg

Using a glue brush, start gluing up a top 1/2 and a bottom 1/2 using a disposable brush. (Harbor freight cheapos)
363275692.jpg

363275697.jpg

363275699.jpg

Next I use a belt sander to mate the two 1/2s but this can also be achieved using sand paper glued to a flat surface.
363275705.jpg

Now apply the glue and clamp the 2 1/2s together and go smoke a cigar. :thumbs:
363275710.jpg

363275718.jpg

Once dried, I pass it through a drum sander but again, a sanding block will do fine.

363275739.jpg

363275743.jpg

VIOLLA!!! You can now slice thin pieces to use as an inlay or you can use it at full thickness to be seen inside and out on your project.

I have to thank a fellow woodworker I know that builds Ouds for this design. The Oud is the predecessor to the guitar.

Good luck on your projects. Let me know if I can help.

Have fun :laugh:

Bill,

That was amazing to see from raw material to finish. Thanks! :thumbs:

Wow, Nice work!

This makes me yearn to get my shop set up, again, someday.

Chemyst

Learn something new today. Thanks

As someone who has never been exposed to woodworking, this post was very informative and makes the subject matter much more approachable. I hope you continue to share your techniques with the board.

Thank you. I'd be happy to. The next time I make this inlay I'll show you guys how to do it. :thumbs:
If anyone needs resources for the materials or tools just let me know. I'll get you set up with all the right places.
363275726.jpg

Once dried, I pass it through a drum sander but again, a sanding block will do fine.

363275739.jpg

363275743.jpg

WHALLA!!! You can now slice thin pieces to use as an inlay or you can use it at full thickness to be seen inside and out on your project.

I have to thank a fellow woodworker I know that builds Ouds for this design. The Oud is the predecessor to the guitar.

Good luck on your projects. Let me know if I can help.

Have fun :laugh:
:rolleyes:
I think you mean voilà

LINKY

What kind of table saw do you have?

OK, I stand corrected :blush: I use a contractor Powermatic saw. My dream saw is the Saw Stop. (For those that don't know about that saw, the blade will stop immediately if you touch it.)

I love Powermatics. :thumbs: The contractor saws don't have anywhere near the horsepower of the regular Powermatic which is why I prefer a regular cabinet saw to a contractor saw.

SawStop's are great but as long as you keep your fingers and hands out of the way, you don't have anything to worry about.

About 3 years ago I touched the side of the blade. I didn't get cut but the feeling that went through my body was as if I did. It literally put a shock through me head to toe. Ever since that day I have had a whole new respect for the blade. It's not the noob to the saw that gets cut. It's the people like me that get too comfortable around the blade that get hurt. As far as a cabinet saw goes, most all of my work is small so I don't need the power. My BIL lives a couple blocks away and has a Grizzly 3hp Cabinet saw if I do run into trouble. My shop at home is only 12 feet by 20 feet. It's a little tight in there.

My dream saw is the Saw Stop. (For those that don't know about that saw, the blade will stop immediately if you touch it.)

Quality testing at that company is one job that I will pass on.

Video of it (attempting) to cut a hot dog.

LMAO I hear ya. They actually use a hot dog to demonstrate it. It somehow senses the electrical current in anything other than wood and thrusts an aluminum block into the blade. I'm not really sure how it differentiates from wood to skin but it only takes once to loose a finger or worse. When I touched the side of the blade, I was trying to force the material against the fence and my hand slipped off the wood and into the blade. That was a message and a lucky day. :whistling:

Here's a link to a slow motion video. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7398881024668691129

About 3 years ago I touched the side of the blade. I didn't get cut but the feeling that went through my body was as if I did. It literally put a shock through me head to toe. Ever since that day I have had a whole new respect for the blade. It's not the noob to the saw that gets cut. It's the people like me that get too comfortable around the blade that get hurt. As far as a cabinet saw goes, most all of my work is small so I don't need the power. My BIL lives a couple blocks away and has a Grizzly 3hp Cabinet saw if I do run into trouble. My shop at home is only 12 feet by 20 feet. It's a little tight in there.

I completely disagree with that notion. I've been working with table saws and the like for well over thirty years and I've never had so much as a close call or any kind of injury like that. The people I know that are walking around with the missing fingers usually did it when they were young or "noobs" as you call 'em. I don't know about you but I'm never "comfortable around the blade." Quite frankly, it scares the crap out of me and that fear keeps all my fingers attached to my hands. I also use a chainsaw quite a bit and that's another tool that scares me to death. Once again, I've never had so much as a close call with one let alone a serious injury.

Actually statistics show that it usually happens to veterans that get too comfortable. I've also been using a table saw for about 30 years and feel the same as you. I will admit that I've made many cuts with my fingers closer that they ever should be. I recently purchased an elaborate push block to break my habits. The only injury I've received was on a router table. I was doing a pull cut when the router snatched the piece and launched it across the room. The bit nabbed the corner of the finger next to my little finger on my left hand and cut the tip off. I was very lucky that it grew back. This was one of those times I should have been using a push block but my fingers didn't seem anywhere close enough to worry. I was dead wrong. Now I use push blocks when ever possible. Any of you wanting to try woodworking listen close. Respect any tool that runs faster than you. :thumbs:

This is a scary statistic. Aug 2, 2006 ... These hefty statistics translate into $2 billion in injury-related costs and one table saw accident every nine minutes (US Consumer Product Safety Commission). Just please be careful everyone. The rule of "thumb" is no closer that 3 inches to the blade. (Pardon the pun)

Actually statistics show that it usually happens to veterans that get too comfortable. I've also been using a table saw for about 30 years and feel the same as you. I will admit that I've made many cuts with my fingers closer that they ever should be. I recently purchased an elaborate push block to break my habits. The only injury I've received was on a router table. I was doing a pull cut when the router snatched the piece and launched it across the room. The bit nabbed the corner of the finger next to my little finger on my left hand and cut the tip off. I was very lucky that it grew back. This was one of those times I should have been using a push block but my fingers didn't seem anywhere close enough to worry. I was dead wrong. Now I use push blocks when ever possible. Any of you wanting to try woodworking listen close. Respect any tool that runs faster than you. :thumbs:

Okay, I believe you. See, I could have said "GIVE ME LINKS, I DEMAND PROOF" but never mind. :laugh:

Yep I have to admit, I've had some scary incidents over the years that could have resulted in some nasty injuries but I guess I've been lucky.

One thing I always have piled on my rip fence is push sticks, plenty of 'em. ;)

DSC00219.jpg

The rule of "thumb" is no closer that 3 inches to the blade. (Pardon the pun)

Ya know, I never heard that one before. Sounds good to me!

Thanks! :thumbs:

Nice saw. Push sticks are like replaceable fingers. :laugh: Worth their weight in (Powermatic) Gold. I'll have to get you a link to this new push system I came across. It really works great. I think you'll like it.

That's amazing work, man. I'm definitely getting cleaning out the woodshop when I get home from college!

Again dude your skills are insane, Thank you for showing use a peek of your start to finish.