• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to spot a fake.

Wait, he's trying to sell these cigars? It's one thing to be handed a suspicious cigar out of generosity and be hesitant to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if this guy is trying to sell them...eff that. I wouldn't buy and I'd caution anyone who was thinking about it.

Wait, he's trying to sell these cigars? It's one thing to be handed a suspicious cigar out of generosity and be hesitant to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if this guy is trying to sell them...eff that. I wouldn't buy and I'd caution anyone who was thinking about it.

Yeah, worst case scenario. I doubt I'll have a new friend afterwards, but I'm going to have to break it down for him that they're counterfeit. Last night I gave my friends who own the restaurant a heads up on it before it turns into a situation where patrons are getting ahold of them.

Topping this to avoid starting a new thread....saw some genuine fake Cohibas last night. I feel bad for the buyer in question because he seems like a really nice guy, a musician who visits Cuba pretty regularly. A mutual friend introduced us at dinner last night because he thought I might be interested in his some of his latest purchases. He breaks out a bag with a few boxes and produces, very carefully and with a bit of flourish, a box of Esplendidos. I'm no Cohiba scholar and generally don't go over my boxes like Sherlock Holmes to get a point of reference for these occasions, but there was enough wrong out of the chute to make a sound judgment...bad wrappers, noticeable space between the cigars, inner box corners not totally flush, etc. No codes on the bottom was the biggie, which I brought up as potential trouble with him and started to get the "my wife is from Cuba, I got these IN Cuba" from him so I just let it go.

I'll see him again at a big "El Floridita" themed party at the restaurant this week, and he's seriously hoping to sell all these cigars, so I'll make another attempt to talk to him if possible. Nice guy, but doesn't seem to know much about cigars in general, much less the minefield of Fauxhibas out there. He did have a carton style box of Siglo V's and carton box of Robustos, but I didn't get a close look at those. No idea if they are as counterfeited as the dress boxes, but these guys and the Cohibas.....man, they're like magic beans for those who just do not know anything about cigars.

Hopefully I can get him on the right track and get some GOOD smokes from his next trip, lol.
If they're from Cuba they're technically "Cuban" cigars no? ;)

If they're from Cuba they're technically "Cuban" cigars no? ;)

Maybe and maybe not. Cuba imports tobacco from other places so they may be made in Cuba but that doesn't make them Cuban cigars and they are certainly not Habanos.

My wife brought some home years ago from a friends husband who was selling them. They were great fakes and actually pretty damn good smokes. Lesson learned for her though and plenty of brownie points earned though.

I had to set the guy straight. In the end he agreed they were fakes, just to appease me it seemed. My cousins, sisters, brothers, uncles, wife lives in Cuba and got these. He couldn't give up the story.

The last fakes I saw were at a local cigar store. The boxes looked like they were put together in a 2nd grade arts and crafts class... No stamp, date etc either.

Good times

Very interesting stories here...
Especially the stories about more educated members trying to help educate people who can't admit or believe that they likely spent hard earned money on a fauxbano.

Real talk, went on a cruise in college as a present to myself and bought some "cuban" cigars in mexico... just a couple to smoke on the ship, I felt great about it/them.... I just, just realized thinking back that there was no way in hell that they were real habanos...

I didn't know any better and enjoyed them anyways...

Ran into the Fauxhiba guy at the get-together on Monday night. No more mention of Cohibas, so he either already unloaded them or someone in addition to myself questioned the obvious missing box code and he didn't bring them.

He did have a bunch of RyJ Tubos #3, someone ended up giving me one. I'm guessing counterfeiting those would be about as smart a venture as making fake 2015 dimes. Smoked it, nice little cigar except for some weird tunneling.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that at least in this guy's case the combination of real and fake Habanos is simply due to the fact he's buying the cheaper smokes retail and getting a bunk "special deal" on a box of Esplendidos that would otherwise be out of his comfort zone.

I had a couple of different people tell me "well, his wife is from there, so he's connected" when I brought up the risk of buying the most counterfeited Cuban brand. I was born in Kansas. I'm not the guy you want going along to advise you on a huge wheat purchase.

One of my former employees is Haitian and when he goes back he brings me a box of "cohiba" in a glass topped box. Never could tell the guy they're fake. I've got another one coming in the next month when he returns for doing him a favor. Lol.

When I get it I'll try to remember to post here in case someone wants it.

Hire a cigar roller for your next event. We server Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and more. Professional cigar rollers will show you to roll a cigar and much more.

Hire a cigar roller for your next event. We server Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and more. Professional cigar rollers will show you to roll a cigar and much more.

Are the rollers all women?

Good Lord I hope I haven't passed a fake. I don't think so, and have never been told, but, holy hell, I would make it right quick. I'm far from an ISOM expert, but knowledge gleaned here over the last (almost) decade has taught me much. I know who to PM with questions. Agree with the not burning at stake idea. Patience and tolerance and teaching helps. We're (you're) a great bunch and are bragged on.

Hi Cigarroller!

I'm really interested in hiring someone to roll cigars for me at my next event in New York City, but I have a few questions first!

1) Which method of rolling do these professionals use? Bunching? Tubos? Accordian?
2) Do they triple cap the top or do they use the Nicaraguan/Honduran method of "flagging it"?
3) If I provide genuine Cuban tobacco leaves, will they roll me some Cuban cigars?
4) Are the rollers allowed to add other drugs, like crushed up Adderall or Tylenol 3 to the cigar rolling process? Me and my friends like to have a really good time, if you know what I mean.
5) Can I get a guarantee that your rollers won't call the police if they see hookers at this party? Oh, and also I need a guarantee they won't call my wife either. She isn't invited to the party because she'd just get all upset with all the illegal stuff and the hookers. Well, mostly the hookers, but still.

Hi Cigarroller!

I'm really interested in hiring someone to roll cigars for me at my next event in New York City, but I have a few questions first!

1) Which method of rolling do these professionals use? Bunching? Tubos? Accordian?
2) Do they triple cap the top or do they use the Nicaraguan/Honduran method of "flagging it"?
3) If I provide genuine Cuban tobacco leaves, will they roll me some Cuban cigars?
4) Are the rollers allowed to add other drugs, like crushed up Adderall or Tylenol 3 to the cigar rolling process? Me and my friends like to have a really good time, if you know what I mean.
5) Can I get a guarantee that your rollers won't call the police if they see hookers at this party? Oh, and also I need a guarantee they won't call my wife either. She isn't invited to the party because she'd just get all upset with all the illegal stuff and the hookers. Well, mostly the hookers, but still.
Hi Brian
Thanks for your interest. You can contact our Event Manager. she was explain you and also you have any query feel free to ask her 702-706-1899

When we come out to your wedding, we bring a two person team. One being our Cigar Roller and the other is the Cigar Host. Our Cigar Rollers are Cuban and they are masters at their craft – very authentic. Our rollers are proud of their profession and love to entertain your guests with their skills.

Reported. This shit is getting old. Just piss off already.

When we come out to your wedding, we bring a two person team. One being our Cigar Roller and the other is the Cigar Host. Our Cigar Rollers are Cuban and they are masters at their craft – very authentic. Our rollers are proud of their profession and love to entertain your guests with their skills.

Have you actually eaten any Spam? As for me not yet, have avoided it all cost.